PDA

View Full Version : Need powerlifter advice

SEOINAGE
10-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Ok so I hope this doesn't come across as a complete ramble.

I currently weigh 220+ up from just 163 a little over a year ago(I once weighed 190 when I was lifting hard years prior).

So after I broke 200 lbs in april instead of going on a cut I decided to start powerlifting, and my focus since has been to get stronger. I have been doing westside basically since then, with a recent break to try out a squats and milk program which i didn't carry all the way through.

I have been wanting to get into geared lifting and competing but I can't afford to buy a bunch of gear, change weight, and buy more gear. I had been thinking about entering my first meet in february, a full APF.

The thing I can't decide is what to do with my weight, I am fatter than I would like to be, 5'8" and probably about 22-23% bf. I haven't had a low bf since I weighed 155 when i got sick from being a healthy 175 years ago. Now my ultimate goal isn't to have the most amazing physique. I would much rather be deadlifting 900 lbs.

My concern is I could buy some gear here soon, keep gaining weight, make sure the gear is snug, compete in feb at like 220 or even higher. But then what happens afterwards when I just feel like a fat a**?

So do I cut now enter the meet with little training in gear I buy when I get down to 200 or less, or should I keep gaining up to 250 and be an absolute monster, or should I maintain. I just don't know if I should attempt to get rid of this bf now, or do it later once I develop more muscle. I would hate to cut and lose so much that I have worked for.

I don't really want to do a bunch of bulk and cutting cycles to get to where I want to be, would rather bulk till I'm done, then cut till I'm done and improve myself from there. I just don't feel like I have enough of a muscle base yet, but the fat is getting a little on the too high end. My fiance says I can't weigh 300 lbs, which I think is understandable but at the same time if I ever told her she couldn't weigh a certain amount I would be in trouble. I think I could get away with getting up to 250.

I need some people's opinions, ultimately I know it comes down to my own goals, but it is hard to decide since I want to start competing in powerlifting, and not sure exactly how to get started. My deadlift is close to 500, and squat is mid 400s bench just above 300 since shoulders bugging me haven't made much raw progress but band and board work has been moving up well. On squats and milk i did 300x20 and think I could have done more. Hope that gives you guys an idea of where I am at.

If you read this thanks, I would appreciate your input. Also I am 28 if it matters.

MarcusWild
10-28-2009, 08:16 PM
You could try carb cycling. It should let you build muscle while gradually getting leaner. I think if you buy gear now, then you'll be OK as long as you don't go super tight. As you get stronger and more experience, you'll want tighter gear. The gear you buy will get tighter as you gain weight. It works out pretty well.

Hazerboy
10-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Why don't you try out a few raw meets first? Gear can be very tricky to learn, especially without a coach, and meets are expensive to begin with. A raw meet will allow you to get some experience with the judging, making weight, etc before you delve into gear, which is a whole new load of issues.

This is definitely going to be an opinion thing, but if I were in your position I would go on a cut. This would do two things for your: for one, your body has just put on a massive amount of weight. This can be very stressful on you especially if it was over a short period of time. I'm sure you've noticed simple things like getting out of breath easier, jogging a 1/2 mile or mile is now really hard, etc. As someone that used to be 130 lbs I feel you on this. Anyways, losing some weight here would give your body some time to adjust. More importantly, however, going on a cut will give you mad confidence next time you decide to bulk. Once you know how to cut, it won't be a big deal bulking up to 250 or 275 cause you know you can get ripped whenever you want. This will be a big load off you mentally for your next bulk as well--you'll have no problem wolfing down a pizza dowsed in olive oil cause you know you can lose that extra fat later if you need to.

From a powerlifting perspective, being real chubby also kind of messes up your body weight to strength ratio (this is obviously not true the higher up in weight classes you go, where everyone is fat XD XD). Sure it gives you better leverages, but at your height thats not really an issue. If you were to hit those same numbers in the 198s for instance you'd be a lot more competitive than at 220.

I would also tell you that you would look better for the ladies, but since you've already "roped one in" that point is moot.

Wild's suggestion was also good -- carb cycling would be a great way to put on muscle and slowly lean down.

BigTallOx
10-29-2009, 09:53 AM
I've also gained quite a bit of weight since I started powerlifting, I weighted 263 at my first meet August 2008, and I weighed 330 at my last meet in late September 09. But I haven't really focused on "bulking", I just train and eat and this is where it's taken me. Currently my bodyfat % isn't all that high, if/when it gets above 20% I'd definitely consider cutting, yes "mass moves mass" but fat doesn't muscle does. As for gear, I'd find some used gear to play around in, so you can get an idea of what you like and don't like without having to pay a premium price.

SEOINAGE
10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Some good advice from everyone still not sure what I am going to do. I started trying to get used gear but the people I emailed about what they had for sale wanted practically new prices, I didn't get it, pretty much laughed at my offers. I was thinking I could use a squat suit for deadlifts and save cash? although that might make deadlift difficult unless i have straps I can make more loose? When I first hit 202 I was 20% bf, and i gained a couple lbs and went down to 19% over almost 5 months, slow process but I just think if I keep gaining weight, I will want to cut and have this huge gear. I guess I can start with the carb cycling and cleaning up my diet again. Are you talking carb up on days I lift? or eating carbs early in the day and tapering them off in the evening? Or like CKD where I have 1-2 carb up days a week the rest in keto? I am guessing you mean the first and I am sure there is more info on this site i can do some searching later.

BigTallOx
10-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I was thinking I could use a squat suit for deadlifts and save cash?

Possibly. I like deadlifting in my single ply metal squat suit, but there's absolutely no way I could deadlift in my new titan boss suit.

Lones Green
10-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I've also gained quite a bit of weight since I started powerlifting, I weighted 263 at my first meet August 2008, and I weighed 330 at my last meet in late September 09. But I haven't really focused on "bulking", I just train and eat and this is where it's taken me. Currently my bodyfat % isn't all that high, if/when it gets above 20% I'd definitely consider cutting, yes "mass moves mass" but fat doesn't muscle does. As for gear, I'd find some used gear to play around in, so you can get an idea of what you like and don't like without having to pay a premium price.

Not trying to spark a huge debate, but yes fat will help you move mass. You've got a long time until you fill out that frame, buddy, haha

Beverly McD.
10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Just throwing a couple of things out for you to think about S.:hello:
One, those "fat" powerlifters aren't all fat. If your were to hit one in the belly you'd hurt your hand. That layer of fat is typically covering a huge slab of ab muscles.
The other is bulking doesn't mean eating anything and everything in sight. (usually lol) Yes, they eat some junk food, but mostly they just eat more, more protein, more healthy fats and more complex cabohydrates.

BigTallOx
10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
but yes fat will help you move mass.

How? You can't contract/flex fat.

But don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gaining a little fat as long as there's quality muscle along with it.

You've got a long time until you fill out that frame, buddy, haha

I know, and I'm doing it.

Travis Bell
10-29-2009, 02:18 PM
How? You can't contract/flex fat.

But don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gaining a little fat as long as there's quality muscle along with it.

I know, and I'm doing it.

It changes your leverages Ox.

Gain weight=get stronger more times than not

Thought you were the one who was the master of this discussion?? Leverages and whatnot

BigTallOx
10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
It changes your leverages Ox.

Gain weight=get stronger more times than not

OK, yes if I put on only fat on my upper belly/chest and everything else stayed the same, yes I'll bench more because of reduced ROM and improved leverages, but I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm stronger because of that. But I can see how on a powerlifting basis that would be taken as splitting hairs. OK, yes, gaining fat can make you lift more ( but personally I'd rather lift more because my muscles, tendons, cns,... are getting stronger ).

Thought you were the one who was the master of this discussion?? Leverages and whatnot

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. I feel like its some sort of cutting comment. Yes, I have long limbs and all the issues that go along with it, but I'm also trying to get as strong as possible, and I'm not using my leverages as any excuse.

KarstenDD
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Mass moves mass. When in doubt, gain weight.

SEOINAGE
10-30-2009, 01:04 PM
So get some fitting gear, but not tight and work my weight up into it. Sounds like fun, just hope I don't get the urge to lose weight any time soon.
What about suggestions for 2-ply gear.
I bench to the top of my belly, with a decent size arch but nothing extreme.
I currently squat low bar, with a wide stance but not super wide, I wouldn't mind making it wider when I have gear on. But don't have monolift access atm, so stepping out wide might be dangerous.
Conventional deadlift, any time I try sumo it is awkward, but I have wicked lock out strength on my conventional deadlift if I can get it off the floor.

I have some inzer wrist wraps and a lever belt. I will be needing a bench shirt, squat suit, briefs, and probably a deadlift suit as well as some quality knee wraps.
A couple suggestions that would work would be nice, and I will be watching ebay for used cheaper stuff like a hawk. I also wouldn't mind some sizing advice, like on a particular type since its 2 ply do I get it two sizes larger? or match it up as close as possible, or should I post up my measurements to see what you guys that have bought gear and know how things tend to fit would think?

SEOINAGE
10-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Trying to do some research and figure out what gear I want. Finding stuff online used then trying to figure out if it will fit is a pain. Especially when some sites give unclear sizing information, and every brand uses a different sizing method, even within the same brand can have different sizes for different products.

So I'm thinking I could get a new 2-ply titan f6, reasonably priced. Also the inzer ragex is fairly priced, but I don't know it would fit my lifting style and might be harder to learn, which I'm not completely afraid of.
Briefs, I'm finding metal makes some pretty decent ones? That or I hear the inzer predators are nice.
Squat suits, kind of lost here, titan boss, or an expensive metal suit, or are there some better options out there?
And knee wraps do I need to get too picky with these? APT has quite the selection.

MarcusWild
10-31-2009, 12:28 AM
I think a starting point would be just a suit and no briefs since you're new to gear. If you get the suit loose then you can add briefs under it later. I'd go single-ply on the bench shirt for now. I think a properly fitting double-ply would be too hard to touch weights you can press. I like the metal king pro deadlift suit. It has a lot of pop off the floor.

It's best to walk in gear before you try to run or it's just frustrating. I know I went too extreme when I first got into 2-ply because xyz pro lifter wore this suit or that bench shirt. It wasted a lot of training time dealing with squatting a mile high and not getting the bar close to touching in a shirt.

Clifford Gillmore
10-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Trying to do some research and figure out what gear I want. Finding stuff online used then trying to figure out if it will fit is a pain. Especially when some sites give unclear sizing information, and every brand uses a different sizing method, even within the same brand can have different sizes for different products.

So I'm thinking I could get a new 2-ply titan f6, reasonably priced. Also the inzer ragex is fairly priced, but I don't know it would fit my lifting style and might be harder to learn, which I'm not completely afraid of.
Briefs, I'm finding metal makes some pretty decent ones? That or I hear the inzer predators are nice.
Squat suits, kind of lost here, titan boss, or an expensive metal suit, or are there some better options out there?
And knee wraps do I need to get too picky with these? APT has quite the selection.

Just get some single ply stuff.

Just an single ply Rage or f6 is still a technical piece of equipment.

Don't worry about briefs, or if you MUST just get the power pants.

Just get an inzer hardcore single ply, MORE than enough support to start with.

Lones Green
10-31-2009, 12:14 PM
I think a starting point would be just a suit and no briefs since you're new to gear. If you get the suit loose then you can add briefs under it later. I'd go single-ply on the bench shirt for now. I think a properly fitting double-ply would be too hard to touch weights you can press. I like the metal king pro deadlift suit. It has a lot of pop off the floor.

It's best to walk in gear before you try to run or it's just frustrating. I know I went too extreme when I first got into 2-ply because xyz pro lifter wore this suit or that bench shirt. It wasted a lot of training time dealing with squatting a mile high and not getting the bar close to touching in a shirt.

This is perfect advice. I've been lucky to have smart people around me to guide me.

I started with a single ply Metal v-type suit, it ripped on me. Then I went to a Metal Pro suit, and am now getting a Leviathan straightened out.

SEOINAGE
10-31-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm looking at a single ply used f6 and a double ragex which is probably too much but cheap. Also checking out a metal suit that is fairly cheap.