PDA

View Full Version : Working core better

Andre518
10-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I really hate doing any type of core assist work. but I can tell when it comes to my squat not having my core up to par is really effecting my squat. My legs feel good on heavy squats and my back is my strongest part of me right now but when I come out of the hole in my squats my abs shake and feel like they are holding me back (if this makes sense). I was doing decline sit ups with 20lbs behind my head but I just can not seem to stick with it. I was wondering what you guys find that really help in this department. I don't care about a six pack or crap like that I just want a strong core that will help better support a heavier squat.

endymion88
10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
i love the wheel of death! you feel kinda like a panzy doing it on yer knees but when you move up to standing it's amazing, the hurt is sooo good too!

muscle_g
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I like doing these(of course not all in the same workout)

Seated Crunch Machine
Standing Cable Crunches
Standing Side Cable Crunches
Side Bends(DB's or Cable)
Rotary Torso Machine
Nautilus Lower Back Machine

Lones Green
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I like to do 2 ab movements per lower session. Abs makes squatting much easier, you're able to stay a lot tighter. I take 2 core movements and do them until I get good at them, then switch to something else:

Hangman abs with a band...self explanatory
Standing pulldown abs with a cable
Seated pulldown abs with a cable
Spread eagle sit ups with weight
Decline sit ups with weight
Sit ups on a yoga ball...these are super hard
Roman chair sit ups on a GHR
Grappler twists
Side bends
Pulldown abs with a short bar held in front of you (like you're about to do a pushdown...this is what Lou does for abs)

I'm sure there are more, but those are the main ones I use. If you throw 2 on those in at the end of every lower session, I guarantee you'll tell a difference in your squat and deadlift.

endymion88
10-29-2009, 05:37 PM
wheres the love for wheel of death?!?!?!? by far the hardest thing for core i've ever done (doing it standing) makes dragonflags feel easy.