PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Deficit Questions

CainMcCloud
10-29-2009, 10:28 AM
1. How far is too far on a calorie deficit? -1000 is what I am aiming for.

2. If a lot of your calories are from whey protein shakes, and V8, is that bad?

3. If your, let's say -400 calorie deficit, then you burn 300 on treadmill (using a real calculator, not the treadmill) wouldn't that mean your -700 calorie deficit?

Unreal
10-29-2009, 10:36 AM
1. Depends on your plans, goals, and acceptable loss of muscle.
2. Define bad? If your hitting your macros who cares what your eating. I would make sure you get enough fiber/nutrients though.
3. Yes.

CainMcCloud
10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for replying!

1. Well, I am prepared to lose a lot, I am getting 52g of Protein from my Whey Shake for breakfast, and I am thinking of doubling to 2 Shakes a day, good idea?
2. Well, I am going to check on my Macro's, I am on Animal Pak, do you think that'd keep my "nutrition" up? (Here is a link to Animal Pak: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/animalpak.html
3. Great! I am hoping to get -300 from treadmill everyday except Sunday, and I am hoping to start biking at least -150-(-250) cals 3 days a week.

I am just wanting a lot of fat loss right now, at 5"6 188 I feel hugely fat, and I probably look it with a shirt off to others. I want to get down to 165, maybe lower, I am not sure what a good weight would be for my height to start bulking from.

skinny99
10-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Cain I am no expert but I have learned a lot about diet over the last two months! I am on a 1700 a day calorie plan right now! My goal every day is to drink one shake that is 220 calories and 48g of protein! Then fill the rest of my day with about 3-4 more meals,the rest of the meals add up to 1500 calories or less! I have found the easiest way to do this is with meat,eggs and quality vegatables. If I get past my third meal and realize I am not going to get to my protein goal I add in a second shake. You are better off if you can get it all from food but it tough to do with whole foods and eat with any variety! On my lift days I automatically add the second shake PWO! If you read the articles about Unholy it goes into some details on how he is cutting on the path to his show,also if you go to the stickies and read What a Bodybuilder Eats,it has some great things in it! One of the easiest things to cut out is calories in liquids that are not protein shakes,soda's,milk,fruit juices and the like are very empty calories when on a cut! Hopefully this is helpful! I have lost 11 pounds in 14 days,none of which is water weight as I am drinking a gallon plus a day right now(helps keep me from feeling hungry).

CainMcCloud
10-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, here I got a new question lol, and wow dude 11 pounds in 14 days? beast dude.

I am on a -1000 but I rarely get -1000, usually only around -750. Let's say this, to be safe:

-500 a day, x7 is 3500 cals, a pound of fat is 3500 cals, so I should lose a pound of fat per week right? So how many pounds of weight should I lose on that?

Also, I am making it a goal to get to where I am on -1000 cals, with 2 protein shakes everyday, cause that'd be 104g of Protein everyday :).

tom183
10-30-2009, 06:21 PM
1. How far is too far on a calorie deficit? -1000 is what I am aiming for.

See Unreal's post. Further to that though, try to think in terms of percentages. -1000 isn't going to be nearly as drastic for someone who hs been consuming 6000 as it would be for someone who has been consuming 2800.

500 a day, x7 is 3500 cals, a pound of fat is 3500 cals, so I should lose a pound of fat per week right?

Yep.

So how many pounds of weight should I lose on that?

As many as you want. Remember though, your maintenance will decrease as you lose weight.

Also, I am making it a goal to get to where I am on -1000 cals, with 2 protein shakes everyday, cause that'd be 104g of Protein everyday

104g from shakes or 104g total?

CainMcCloud
10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I am going to check his post right now :).

That sucks, only 1lb of fat per week, that sucks balls lol. It will take months to lose just 20 pounds of fat, like a long time lol.

I am meaning, losing 1lb of fat, wouldn't I lose like 3-4 pounds of weight?

104 from shakes only

skinny99
10-30-2009, 07:03 PM
14lbs in 16 days today and drank 190oz of water yesterday and had already drank over 100oz before I weighed! My way works for me! It is definitly not for everyone!

CainMcCloud
10-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, I usually get in about a gallon of water, not sure how many oz's that is. I love water when it's cold, but eh.

I just hope I can lose about 20-25 pounds in 3-4 months. Wish me luck.

machaf
10-30-2009, 07:35 PM
14lbs in 16 days today and drank 190oz of water yesterday and had already drank over 100oz before I weighed! My way works for me! It is definitly not for everyone!

Hate to break it you to but, 14lbs of fat in 16 days is IMPOSSIBLE.

Your 14lbs of weight loss, you'll be lucky if its 4 lbs of fat loss.

To lose 14lbs of fat in 16 days you would have to be 3062 calories under maintenance each day.

Losing 2lbs a week is a good goal. At your weight of 188 lbs, that's roughy 1700 cals a day.

CainMcCloud
10-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I am targeting eating about 1500-1400, I really want to reach -1000 so I can lose more then usual, but I mean, I don't understand why I am taking so long to lose weight. I am on a cal deficit, lifting 3x a week, probably cause I haven't been doing cardio for ****, and my diet has went to hell. I mean I am still on a cal deficit, but I am eating junk food, like soft drinks, is my main issue. I did break the addiction, but thanks to my parents, they brought home a 2-liter, and put it in my face. ugh!

I got a question, even if the cals are from a bad source, aren't they still cals? I mean, their isn't good/bad cals are there?

machaf
10-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Eatting too few calories will slow down your metabolism which could be why you aren't losing weight. Which is why you should only target 2lbs per week.

You really don't need cardio to lose weight, it just allows you to eat more food.

Soft drinks - try Diet soda, Coke Zero and Diet Coke with lime taste very good.

Are you keeping track of everything you eat? If not, you must do this. It is absolutely imperative that do this you! You would be surprised at how little food 1500 calories is.

Diet= crap..results=crap .... when you do hit a plateau change your routine, more cardio, longer cardio, HIIT, ect.

CainMcCloud
10-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I hate any diet coke or coke zero, I am just going to stop altogether after today, I am going to go back on my "quit" from them.

I do, I keep track of everything, including the V8, and I mean everything.

Actually, the reason fro cardio is mostly just to cut extra fat, like I wouldn't do it so I can eat more food, I'd do it after I have ate all I needed to that day, then to maybe get -700cal deficit, do -200 calories on treadmill.

Yea, thanks. Well, no, I am getting enough right now, maybe too many. Thanks for the help man.