PDA

View Full Version : Do I cut or bulk?

busterdouglas
10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
I have been doing SS for 2 weeks now, prior to that I was working out on a bowflex (all I had)

I am feeling much stronger already and I am losing fat but I am have not dropped weight on the scale and I am still 197-200 lbs, so I am not sure if my diet is correct. I am eating very clean but I really donít know if I am eating above or below my maintenance level because my summer consisted of drinking a lot of beer on the weekends and garbage foods such as hamburgers, hotdogs, sausages etc.. which I have totally cut out of my life now.

Who would of thought the hardest part is the diet. I have read in the diet and nutrition forum section that it is good to drink 1 gallon of milk a day, but fat gain is unavoidable and I want to lose fat.
I am concerned that I may be losing fat but also lean muscle that I am developing.

The last thing I want to do is stall early because I am not getting stronger or I am not consuming enough calories.

Most people on WBB are very physically fit (7-15%) body fat and someone such as myself who is 25% doesnít know if I should bulk or cut first.

This is my diet:
8:00am 1/2 cup of oatmeal for breakfast
9:00am 0.26 US gallons of water
10:00am a pear or apple
11:00am 0.26 US gallons of water
12:00pm whole wheat sandwich with 2 thin slices of turkey breast or ham or 1/2 can of tuna or pink salmon or egg salad
1:00pm 0.26 US gallons of water
2:00pm bag of veggies with 8 carrots, 8 celery sticks, 8 cucumber slices
3:00pm small yogurt
3:00pm 0.26 US gallons of water
4:00pm a pear or apple or an orange
5:00pm 0.26 US gallons of water
6:00pm dinner usually small portion of chicken or pork chop and vegetables and a small potato
Total calories 1400- 1500

I am currently only taking whey protein shakes after my work-out and I am not getting 1g/per lb daily, so I am going to start having at least 2 shakes a day, so this will increase my daily calories to about 1800-1900. My LBM is about 160 lbs.

Any advice? Should I be consuming 3 shakes a day?

Mercuryblade
10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
lol at the "Most people on WBB are very physically fit" comment...

The more time you spend here, you will find that we are from very diverse physical fitness levels. Lots of people on this board struggled/are struggling with weight issues.
For instance, I am what you call "skinny fat", basically the worst of both worlds: I have a small frame, and I put fat on very easily. I'm hovering around 8% body fat right now, but only because I'm a nazi when it comes to nutrition and exercise.

The gallon of milk thing is arbitrary, and is just one of those old guidlines that will help you get in enough macronutrients if you are trying to bulk. Don't worry about drinking a gallon of milk a day.

Judging from your post you seem relatively new to training? If so, I would focus on eating at maintenance level and really bust your butt in the gym: move some heavy weights, mix in some cardio for conditioning and see if you can do a little recomposition.
And by recomposition I mean losing fat while gaining muscle at the same time, which is very possible if you are just starting to train rigorously.

How old are you, what's your resting heart rate, blood pressure, and cholestoral?

busterdouglas
10-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Im 36, rested heart rate is 59 not sure what blood pressure and cholestoral is.

My last workout consisted of:
I did 5 Min low intensity pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer.
I decided to do 10 min. Tabata HIIT post-workout on the elliptical trainer as the 30 min, were to draining.

Squat- 105
Bench press- 115
deadlift- 105

I have a journal I keep track of every workout.

Unreal
10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
What are the macros of your diet? Looks like tons of carbs and very little fat and protein. I think your diet needs a rework.

busterdouglas
10-29-2009, 02:26 PM
That is where I am at a loss... I can increase my protien with protien shakes and increase fat and protien eating almonds and eggs or drinking milk.. but not sure what to do at this point.

Unreal
10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Define a goal then come up with a plan to reach that goal. Make sure your getting adequate protein and I would replace a lot of your carbs with protein/fat. It looks like you have no protein till about noon. No meal should be carbs only. Shoot for carbs+protein or protein+fat.