PDA

View Full Version : Upper Back Conditioning.

Clifford Gillmore
10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
I think I may have a problem with my upper back getting loose when benching, what does everyone suggest to get it to stay stupid tight?

I know Travis sometimes does speed bench with the arch bar. I did some rack chins while keeping my shoulder blades retracted and rotated down (Dear lord did my upper back hate that!), and I'm starting to think about going lighter on all of my back movements to focus on simply getting the upper back tight.

Sean S
10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Hold all your rowing movements at the top for a 2-3 count to build some isometric strength and endurance in that area.

MarcusWild
10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Use bands to hang some KBs from a PVC pipe and try to bench.

NickAus
10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
The hanging bells is a good idea, so is holding at the top of your rowing movements I always do that.

Using a little less weight on most upper back movements helped me.

Super sets of rows and band pull aparts work for me.

Make sure your legs and ass are really tight and this will keep your back locked in.

robchris
10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree w/ the iso-holds on all rowing movements... also, w/ face-pulls and rear delt work as well. I also do a lot of holding & flexing on my speed day w/ just the bar, really feeling the contraction/ tightness in your back.

You should be uncomfortable as he** when you're ready to take the bar on the bench. Holding that position has really helped me weather it be Lt. or hvy. weight so I don't flatten out w/ max bench attempts.

RC

Lones Green
10-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Yup, the chaos bench stuff works good for that. On all your rowing movements, hold your scapula together.

Facepulls, band pull aparts, reverse pec dec, H rolls, mini band rear delts, etc

ironchef
11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
pvp pipe bar is awesome and has helped me out.

ScottYard
11-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Try some hanging inverted body rows. Set a bar at waist level on a power rack and lay down and while keeping your body straight pull your body to the bar. These really get you upper back pumped up.

Clifford Gillmore
11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Try some hanging inverted body rows. Set a bar at waist level on a power rack and lay down and while keeping your body straight pull your body to the bar. These really get you upper back pumped up.

Yeah, the rack chins I did were essentially rows with where the bar was supporting my legs - I felt a very uncomfortable pump from them, even if the movement was easy!

Thanks everyone! Lots of ideas going into my next few weeks of training.

Barbaccio
11-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I'll see if I can get some video of the "shrug rows" I do tonight for you. They've really helped build up the part of my back that's hardest to hit.

Clifford Gillmore
11-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll see if I can get some video of the "shrug rows" I do tonight for you. They've really helped build up the part of my back that's hardest to hit.

If you can that would be much appreciated Tone!

Brian Hopper
11-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Same here Tone, that might be something I would be interested in doing.

Lones Green
11-04-2009, 11:12 AM

I messed around with doing something like this on a CSR yesterday. My back is pretty stiff, in between my scapula and what not. It is a pretty hard area to hit.

NickAus
11-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Shrows, I love em.

I saw Chuck V doing them and copy him.

vdizenzo
11-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I do all of my rowing work like a reverse bench. I never release my retracted shoulder blades.

Barbaccio
11-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Here's the video of the "shrows" I did 4 sets of 12 with 100's yesterday and I can felt my back blowing up. They're a freaking great movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6aCFv11Rcw

Clifford Gillmore
11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Here's the video of the "shrows" I did 4 sets of 12 with 100's yesterday and I can felt my back blowing up. They're a freaking great movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6aCFv11Rcw

Thanks Tone! I did them today with the girly KB's, and I was broken as all hell, very quality movement.

Mike Pelosi
11-06-2009, 05:42 AM
The biggest thing for the upper back is working it correctly and seperating it from lat work. When you retract your shoulder blades you are using the upper back as a stabilizer and actively engaging the lats which, in the bench press, you wan't to be doing. So while having a strong upperback is necessary and effective, it is more so how you use it which can only come with time and more bench pressing. I've trained many people who had really damn strong upperbacks but it did not reflect on there bench press. Then we tweaked some things and everything started to click.

I use to flatten out badly when benching and what exercise helped me the most is having training partners scream at me to stay tight the whole time. The repitition scream effort!

-Mike Pelosi

KarlMarx
11-06-2009, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't underestimate pullovers with an ezcurl bar either. The angle of the bar and the movement get my upper back like nothing else. Pull ups seem to get my back just a little lower than these, so I switch off with them and a few other vertical pulls.