PDA

View Full Version : boxing training

iver
10-30-2009, 06:33 AM
not sure if this is the right place to post this..but i was just wondering if there is any serious risk if im just boxing training. Like i dont plan on boxing competitivly im just doing it for a good workout. i mainly do heavy bag and speed bag, i tape and use hand wraps, is there any serious risks to like my hands or wrists or anything?
thanx

WaNNaB3Bigg3r
10-30-2009, 06:42 AM
If your hands are wrapped properly then no. Im guessing your only boxing for around 30 minutes a time if its not competitive, so your be fine.
If your trying to get bigger then boxing is not the way for you either.

Y2A
10-30-2009, 07:24 AM
The only thing to be careful for is punching properly. It's possible, even with wraps, to injure your wrist if you are punching hard and punching incorrectly (like bending your wrist). Other than that, enjoy, it's fun to hit the bag. As long as you eat enough to compensate for the calories you burn, you can still gain weight if that's your goal.

WaNNaB3Bigg3r
10-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Twist and punch ;) easy

Y2A
10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
I find that a lot of first timers will bend their wrist to sort of "brace" for the impact. Just a friendly warning ;)

slashkills
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
boxing is a great way to up endurance and lose weight. If your trying to get bigger, like others suggested you should monitor you cal intake and boxing time carefully.

soclydeza
11-17-2009, 08:30 PM
the only thing is check your punching form, otherwise boxing is a great workout. you can hurt your wrist and shoulder. when i first started martial arts i always used to punch the bag full force, then when i impacted the bag my wrist would fold and sprain, leaving me unable to train until it healed. as with anything, start out light, if you feel any kind of pain other than the burn in your muscles then take it easy. gradually build your skill

thewicked
11-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I incorporate alot of olympic lifting/conditioning into my boxers and mma(s) to create a very strong/explosive/powerful/ and structurally sound lifter. I then tie in alot of cardio elements and CORE elements. ALOT of power comes from the floor and from the core. The stronger you make someone obviously the more effectively they'll hit. I got a girl right now at 122 that is INSANELY strong and powerful from here size and demolishes women into MUCH higher weight classes with the work we've done EASILY! We do the olympic lifts, bodyweight exercises, aggressive core work, and actual boxing.

tom183
11-18-2009, 09:47 PM
i mainly do heavy bag and speed bag, i tape and use hand wraps, is there any serious risks to like my hands or wrists or anything?

Not if your form is good and you dont overdo it.

lawndarts
12-29-2009, 10:10 AM
You only want to go with 100% force during a fight. The heavy bag is for form (aim/precision/familiarity to resistence) and conditioning. Weight lifting and calestinics is for building strength. The Rocky movies have taught an entire generation the wrong way to train for boxing.

TXslapshot
01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
You only want to go with 100% force during a fight. The heavy bag is for form (aim/precision/familiarity to resistence) and conditioning. Weight lifting and calestinics is for building strength. The Rocky movies have taught an entire generation the wrong way to train for boxing.

Amen

john o
01-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Make sure you use the knuckles of the index and middle finger. Proper form is of tantamount importance and only gets good by putting in the reps. I have no problem with someone who has good form mixing in full burst combinations. Speed often equals power.

NickAus
01-02-2010, 10:33 PM

That is wrong.

slashkills
01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Going all out on the heavy bag is a great way to up endurance and hitting force. Just make sure your hands and wrists are wrapped good and that you are using good form. After every boxing class my instructor has us go all out for 30sec rounds 4-5 times. My power and endurance have gone up drastically.

JasonLift
01-25-2010, 04:23 AM
To answer the original question yes there is a risk to injuring your hands as the bones are small. Best thing is to find a good coach, learn how to wrap your hands properly, and wear the proper gloves for what you are doing (16 oz bag gloves for bag work, training gloves for sparring, etc.) Oh and if you are sparring don't be a jerk and use comp gloves haha. I also use good 16 oz gloves for training regardless of what I do.

TXslapshot
01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
That is wrong.

Maybe if your a competitive fighter you'd be right, but as someone who is just training with boxing for fun, this is 100% accurate. No use in chancing an injury if theres no intention in competeing.

NickAus
01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I just hate how people want to do it "for fun" these days, I know so many guys who say they box yet all they do is the fitness classes-dont mix the two!

If you want to box, box!

If you want to race drag cars do it!

Man up!

NickAus
01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
To answer the question, no you will not get a serious injury from punching a bag, you may hurt your wrist of course but you will NOT break your hands punching a bag.

john o
01-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Agreed. The beauty of boxing is the self defense benefit along with fitness. Not everybody has to
Spar or compete; although there is no substitute. I can't afford time off work anymore from the broken noses,
Hands, etc.

It seems like a waste to me not to at least learn combinations, how to punch with power, footwork,
etc. Knock the damn bag off the chains if your technique is good. I'm not saying throwing bombs
Round after round is sustainable, but what's the point of throwing a punch that won't break glass? It's
like deadlifting the bar, useless.

I just hate how people want to do it "for fun" these days, I know so many guys who say they box yet all they do is the fitness classes-dont mix the two!

If you want to box, box!

If you want to race drag cars do it!

Man up!

NickAus
01-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Yeah but I do think the sparing is very important even if you never want to compete plus it really is the best part.

The best thing about boxing vs some other martial arts (yes I called it a martial art) is that it stops you from being punch shy and this is very important.