PDA

View Full Version : No more tuna!!!!!!

Rustynutz82
04-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Hey, i found substitute for those of you who do not like tuna. My dad bought this stuff called Sweet Sue chicken breast. It is in a can that looks like tuna. It's shredded chicken breast in water. Here are the stats compared to tuna
Chicken 5 oz cn Tuna 3 oz can
150 Calories 240 calories
0 carb 0 carb
1.25 g fat 6g fat
33 protein 42 protein

I took half the can, mixed it with a little masterpeice bbq sauce, toasted the bread, microwaved the chicken for 20 seconds, and threw in a slice of cheese. Damn good! I hate tuna!

Jane
04-27-2002, 03:01 PM
I've been a canned chicken addict for quite some time now. :) I like Swanson's.

But thanks for the tip. Actually, just an hour ago I put canned chicken and some onion through a meat grinder, added a tiny bit of egg white, onion powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mixed everything in a bowl. Then I formed little patties and cooked them on a skillet with .5tsp of olive oil. Much better than plain, imo. And warm too. :)

Jane
04-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Those patties are probably also great with ketchup or barbecue sauce.

Or maybe with some cheese...:D

Rustynutz82
04-27-2002, 03:05 PM
damn, i feel like a jackass! Oh well, its new to me and i'm excited about it!

heathj
04-27-2002, 03:41 PM
What kind of tuna are you buying? Mine has ~175 calories, 2.5g fat, 0g carbs, 37.5g protein.

Tru
04-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Does the canned chicken have 42 g's of protein?

What's the name of it? I might check this out...

It doesn't taste nasty like tuna?

Jane
04-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Tru...canned chicken has essentially the same amount of protein as tuna, oz for oz.

As for brand names, there are quite a lot to choose from. Check the canned tuna/crabmeat/salmon section of your local supermarket. They should have canned chicken there too.

It's quick, easy and useful in a lot of recipes, imo.

BIG POPPA PUMP
04-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Tuna is good..... At first I couldn't stan the smell or taste of it but after a few cans I love it I can eat 10 a day Just bust out some honey mustard and your good to go. I think he is talking about the Tuna in the oil I always it the kind in water.

W8_4_Me
04-27-2002, 06:08 PM
I like 'em both!

Jane, that little recipe sounds MIGHTY tasty! I'll have to try that!

I started eating canned chicken in the early 90s. I like it mixed in with a cup of steamed rice and the TEENIEST touch of soy sauce. Gotta watch that soy sauce.... TONS of sodium.

Bobarell
04-28-2002, 03:50 AM
Just make it like a regular Tuna salad as well. Put Mayo/HB'd egg/lite veggies for flavor/spices/chicken together and you have a tasty meal.

I like this stuff too, but it is way more expensive than Tuna. If you buy the frozen chicken and do the work yourself it comes out to about the same price as tuna

McBain
04-28-2002, 04:53 AM
tuna is ace! ive never seen chicken in a can before.

the_hall
04-28-2002, 06:21 AM
That stuff is too expensive. I eat tuna because it is cheaper.

body
04-28-2002, 09:42 AM
canned chicken is not as nice as unchoped and shaped chicken.

nejar462
04-28-2002, 10:36 AM
yeah and canned tuna is not as nice as a nice fresh tuna from the market. but hey, what are you going to do?

Jane
04-28-2002, 10:42 AM
As long as we're talking about alternatives, I love canned salmon. We buy the cans in bulk so its cheap and I make salmon salad with mayo for after school. Yum :)

I would imagine it works just as well as tuna for anything, only instead of that fishy tuna smell, you get that nice salmon taste.

Jane
04-28-2002, 11:05 AM
By the way, with canned salmon and smoked salmon (also quick, easy, and cheap if bought in bulk) the nutrition facts vary greatly from brand name to brand name. Look around until you find the one with the protein/fat ratio you like. 0 carbs, always of course, but my favorite brand has 2g of fat and 14g protein for 2 oz, or half a can. Pretty close to perfect, imo. :)

MarshallPenn
04-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Jane - They are simply stating the requirements they have to. The truth is the fat to protein ratio is going to vary from salmon to salmon, so the manufacturer shouldn't matter. (Although, the belly area is of course much fattier.) I don't think any part of the salmon is that low is fat, so I think they are stretching the truth quite a bit. Salmon tends to be about 50% fat.

Jane
04-28-2002, 11:22 AM
But there are different varieties of salmon, which live in different climates and require different amounts of bodyfat. The fat levels of a farm bred salmon can be quite different from a wild North Atlantic Salmon, which in turn, is different from chum, chinook, sockeye, etc. Check the nutritional info for various varities..it does differ.