PDA

View Full Version : Bar rolling out of hands when DL'ing

geoffsherman
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I have started this bad habit of the bar rolling forward and out of my hands when deadlifting. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to fix it. My grip is fine, but I can feel the bar start to rotate against my gripwhich makes it awkward to DL. Thanks.

tomv
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
You'll find that if that's occuring, your grip isn't fine Geoff. What's happening is that you cant keep your hand completely closed and as it opens up slightly the bar starts to roll.
Try using a mixed grip on the bar, but only for the sets where grip is an issue. Mixed grip is simply one palm facing you (like a traditional deadlift) and one palm facing away (like a curl).

MarcusWild
11-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, if the bar can roll in your hands, then your grip isn't tight enough. Static holds are the best way to increase your grip strength for deadlifting.

thewicked
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
have you given chalk a chance? that's the number one quick fix! Using a mixed grip as well if you don't definately makes your life easier! Also, just conditioning your grip in general to support heavier weight is also another FAST way to take care of that problem. Doing heavy farmer's walks or holds along with heavier rack pulls will put an end to it.

KarstenDD
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I have started this bad habit of the bar rolling forward and out of my hands when deadlifting... My grip is fine...

No it isn't. It is weak and you aren't squeezing the bar tight enough.

Guido
11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
If you are using a mixed grip then there is no way it should be rolling. It might fall out of your fingers if it's heavy enough but it won't roll.

Try chalk and incorporate some grip work into your program as well as using the mixed grip.

rbtrout
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
have you given chalk a chance? that's the number one quick fix! Using a mixed grip as well if you don't definately makes your life easier! Also, just conditioning your grip in general to support heavier weight is also another FAST way to take care of that problem. Doing heavy farmer's walks or holds along with heavier rack pulls will put an end to it.

There's the new lifter's catch phrase - "Give chalk a chance".

Chalk, mixed grip and work on grip strength.

CleverName
11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Is the bar you're using bent?

Brian Hopper
11-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Work on your grip more and SQUEEZE that bar hard!!!!

Brian Hopper
11-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Is the bar you're using bent?

Good Point!!!

Lones Green
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Does the bar you're using have knurling, or is it a 10 year old commercial gym bar?

Notorious
11-02-2009, 05:56 PM
You're probably holding the bar too high in your hands and gravity is causing it to roll down. Try to hold the bar where your fingers connect to your hand, not in your palm.

JPanella
11-02-2009, 06:04 PM
One thing i do on heavy deadlifts is make sure the bar is deep in the pocket between my thum and pointer. Then i grip hard. You can't just grab the bar if you are having problems.

barbell01
11-02-2009, 06:34 PM
do some pulling against bands.

jbrin0tk
11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I agree, Geoff. If the bar is rolling out of your hands, it's your grip strength or you aren't getting a good enough grip at first. I like Marcus' idea of static barbell holds. I do them with a double overhand grip. I also occasionally throw in farmers walks, either with DB's or the implements if I have access to them. Another thing I do for fun is plate pinches and/or dumbbell pinches. Both of these I do for time, try to break personal bests, or work up to a certain weight for a specified amount of time.

ScottYard
11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Try Wrist Wraps. Clinch your hand as tight as you can then wrap the wrap around as tight as you can. This helps a good bit. My training partner had his forearm mangled in a roller 10 years back and he cant hold onto max pulls unless he wraps up tight.