PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new SDP shirt

Zak Freiwald
11-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I love these shirts and I got a new one on its way out to me. Having a better understanding of these jokers fit in real life now, I might actually have the right size out of the box this go around. I have heard there is a specific method to breaking the SDP's in that improves the performance and longevity of the shirt. Any of you guys heard this? I have typically broken shirts by either doing reverse bands or descending sets off of boards. But I am always open to learning a cool new trick.

MarcusWild
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure the exact way. I know the basics are staying at a 3-bd for 2-3 weeks. Then do 2-bd for 2-3 weeks. You need to get a bunch of reps in it before you trying going full range.

SELK
11-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Also I don't recommend wetting this shirt down. When you do, it will be easier to touch, but it loses almost all of its pop when it is wet. Even on hot training days I find by the end of the workout the shirt is alot weaker.

bringing it down on boards should be fine.

Travis Bell
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Bah, people put too much thought into breaking in a shirt. I'd go 4brd for some doubles and then 3brd for some singles the first week, 3brd for doubles then 2brd for singles next week

Then I usually just touch.

That's the way I've broken in both of my previous Phenoms. Touching is where you're really going to learn what kind of shirt you have with the SDP because the collar will really stop the weight.

SELK
11-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah, that last 1 inch is a real bitch in this shirt I found.

barbell01
11-02-2009, 06:33 PM
i like to hit some high boards for the first week just to feel the shirt out, then to triples with no boards with moderate wieght and just bring it down as far as you can, each rep coming closer to touching until you get something to touch. It helps to learn the true groove of the shirt. boards can be decieving unless you know the shirt.

Zak Freiwald
11-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I usually get work down to a full range in the first session. With these tricked out phenoms and ehphds, it seems like I can always get a submax weight close enough to at least belly up to the bar. I just heard there was some cool trick that kept the shirt from losing too much of it's new-shirt pop.

Travis Bell
11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah you don't want to go full range first time in the SDP

EHPHDs make great garage rags though

Ryano
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM

LOL. I use a two ply Phenom for my Jeep. Wash with one side, wax with the other.

I think any new shirt needs to be broken in with boards. 3 & 2, 2 & 1, then down to a 1/2 before you take it to a meet. Make sure you leave the collar riding high at first.

Zak Freiwald
11-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Yeah you don't want to go full range first time in the SDP

As for the EHPHDs, granted, the stock shirt is/was the bench shirt version of a marathon gold line- a relic of powerlifting's past. But we were ordering them in 4 or 5 plies with a superneck and a 3 inch scoop. Think a SDP, but thicker and stretchier. For a long armed bencher, they are good shirts. My only beef with them is that Inzer no longer will make them in more then 3 plies- at 3 plies, they're a little flimsy for my liking. Also, you really needed to get the chest tightened up over and over- it just kept stretching. While my first SDP needed to to get tightened up after a while, it seemed to hold its shape a lot better.

Going back to breaking in the SDPs- how come you shouldn't full range it in the first session? I had usually just gone 3 board, 2 board, then try to touch. Sometimes I don't totally touch- just get it as low as I can without coming out of groove and press up.

Travis Bell
11-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Because the material needs more than just a couple sets to break in. Otherwise it's going to stretch out a bit.

Zak Freiwald
11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Travis or any one you other guys that bench in SDPs- have any of yall bought one recently? If so, did it look like they were using a different fabric? I got my new one in this week and if I compare it to the one I got last year, it's seems like different fabric. The cut and stitching is pretty much identical- but it seems like a softer, spongier fabric.