PDA

View Full Version : Question about getting into PL Competitions

CainMcCloud
11-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I am really new to the idea of Power Lifting, I have been lifting without a routine for nearly a year and half, but I am working on my own routine now, and I was hoping maybe in 6 months or so to get into Power Lifting Competitions for people in my age/weight (gonna be 17 in 3 days, and I am 188 right now, but I'd be around 160ish by then) and here are some questions I have:

1. Where exactly do you go to join a federation/group that competes?

2. Do they have a video that addresses exactly what I could expect to do at a meet, other then lift of course?

3. I have looked on powerliftingwatch.com and in my state, their is like 5-6 competitions in the next 6 months, and I am going to see one in December, but I hear about people doing a lot more then 5-6 in 6 months, do they just travel or are their a lot more smaller ones for each individual federation?

Thanks for any help.

ScottYard
11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Dude, You are over complicating things. If you want to do a meet. just send your check in and your in. Go to the rules briefing prio to the meet and ask questions. Your paying good money and you have to right to know what you want to. At the meet you will buy a Fed card. Just walk in as what you weight. focus on getting that experience before you wory about weight classes. Meets are every where. pick one and train. Go to the Fed web sit and read the rule book.

Simple as that!

Ambre
11-02-2009, 07:33 PM
First you need to pick a federation (or federation) that you want to lift in. You can see descriptions of the different feds on powerliftingwatch.com. Find the fed you like and visit their website to read their rule book. The rule book will explain a lot about what to expect as far as how to lift in a meet. Some federations have their own forums, so maybe check out their forums too. To join a federation, you'll have to purchase a membership card. The membership info will be on the website of the federation.

How often you compete is completely up to you and your body. You can usually find small sanctioned meets just about everywhere if you know where to look.

What part of Tennessee are you in? There are a few federations that have meets in Tennessee and the surrounding areas. I'm in Memphis and I personally lift in the SPF and love it.

Hope that helps...

CainMcCloud
11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I am in West Tennessee, about 10 miles from the Kentucky Border. Thanks people!

Brian Hopper
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Dude, You are over complicating things. If you want to do a meet. just send your check in and your in. Go to the rules briefing prio to the meet and ask questions. Your paying good money and you have to right to know what you want to. At the meet you will buy a Fed card. Just walk in as what you weight. focus on getting that experience before you wory about weight classes. Meets are every where. pick one and train. Go to the Fed web sit and read the rule book.

Simple as that!

Well put brother!!!!

Don't make it complicated, just pick a meet in your area and visit there website and check out the rule book. If you want, you should go watch one that way you will know what to expect.

Hazerboy
11-02-2009, 11:46 PM

Simple as that!

This. Unless you just need an excuse to lose weight, there's no reason to cut for your first meet. Go there and learn the rules and get some experience, worry about being competitive later.

MarcusWild
11-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I'd even go watch a meet before you lift in one. That way you know what to expect when you lift.