PDA

View Full Version : Broke 600 pound squat tonight

BigTallOx
11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm sure everybody is sick of my squat PR videos, so I won't post the video ( it looked pretty much exactly like my 585 did 2 weeks ago anyway ), but I squatted 605 tonight. It was hard, but it came up without slowing down. I felt really lightheaded right afterward, and then when that ended I felt amazingly good, almost a little loopy. That hasn't happened before.

Brian Hopper
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Good Job BTO, and congrats on the PR. Nobody is tired of the videos, be proud of what you just accomplished and post it up!!!

NickAus
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Good stuff!

robchris
11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
ox,

Kick A** PR brother!

Post the vid... Good motivation for everyone.

Pete22
11-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Nice. Congrats BTO, you've been making some great progress lately.

skinny99
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I like seeing PR's! People don't have to look,Post Em!

BigTallOx
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks everybody, I'll post a video probably tomorrow morning. My dinner is done and I'm probably going to eat so much after squatting heavy that I won't feel like typing on the computer after that.

you've been making some great progress lately.

Yeah, two reasons, I was neglecting my squat for a while ( for various reasons that are no excuse ), but I've corrected that now. And I'm breaking in a new squat suit ( which I'm really liking! ). Both have really added some intensity to my ME squat sessions.

robchris
11-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks everybody, I'll post a video probably tomorrow morning. My dinner is done and I'm probably going to eat so much after squatting heavy that I won't feel like typing on the computer after that.

Yeah, two reasons, I was neglecting my squat for a while ( for various reasons that are no excuse ), but I've corrected that now. And I'm breaking in a new squat suit ( which I'm really liking! ). Both have really added some intensity to my ME squat sessions.

What suit are you using bro???:confused:

I want what you've got!

ThomasG
11-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Congrats!!!

platypus
11-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Grats man, that's really impressive!

thewicked
11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
about time! HAHA AWESOME SQUATTING BUDDY!

BigTallOx
11-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Here it is. After watching the video, it's not my best squat. I was too far forward and I cut the depth a little short, because I didn't get a good enough breath after unracking and squatting. But right now it's all about getting used to the weight. I'm sure I could squat this to parallel in a meet.

1aUfjdzXkyk

Detard
11-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Awesome squat dude. I bet you would have no trouble hitting that to depth. Great work lately man, your squats are just skyrocketing!

rbtrout
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Right on, BTO! Great job.

Beverly McD.
11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Nice progress BTO! In a short amount of time too.

Technique is important to a good squat. Once you nail that I think you're going to amaze yourself. :)

Brian Hopper
11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
BTO, you need to keep that head up so your chest stays up. Your stance seems pretty close for as tall as you are. But other then that it looked solid. Good Job!!!!

Brian Hopper
11-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Nice progress BTO! In a short amount of time too.

Technique is important to a good squat. Once you nail that I think you're going to amaze yourself. :)

I agree, technique and your setup is so important for any lift. I'm still trying to fine tune my form with the squat. Because I always have a tendency when I get in the hole my head is down and my upper back is rounded a little. But I have a couple of months before my next meet to fine tune it.

BigTallOx
11-03-2009, 11:36 AM

Normally I do work my technique, but it seems that when I'm near my max it pretty much goes to crap. I guess that means I'm not working on it enough.

BTO, you need to keep that head up so your chest stays up.

OK, thanks.

Your stance seems pretty close for as tall as you are. But other then that it looked solid.

Yeah, hip flexibility is something I'm working on, but it prevents me from going wide. I can go wider than I did though. I'll work on that.

I agree, technique and your setup is so important for any lift.

I'm learning that unracking the weight and walking it out is probably just as important as the squat itself. Which is another reason I feel confident that I could squat this ( probably more ) to depth in a meet, since I've only lifted in AAPF/APF meets with a monolift.

Beverly McD.
11-03-2009, 12:18 PM
When the weight gets heavy nearly everyone has a tendency to go back to what feels "comfortable" for them, instead of relying on the technique they've spent months working on.

I think you're actually stronger than your numbers show...you just haven't learned to use it yet. 600 pounds is a lot of weight. Go out into the "real" world and men who can lift that amount of weight are few and far between.

Chris Rodgers
11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Great work BTO! You hit the 585 deeper and came up with no problem...no doubt you can do over 600 to the same depth.

I second the wider stance thing. I just noticed how narrow you were there. You have a long enough way to go as it is, open up that stance!! Definitely use the box for assistance work and work on your flexibility.

Now onto 700!!

dynamo
11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
damnit BTO I hate you lol! Its like you just decide to do something and get it done, no lag time. Very impressive, I would be very interested to see your max deadlift.

BigTallOx
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I second the wider stance thing. I just noticed how narrow you were there. You have a long enough way to go as it is, open up that stance!! Definitely use the box for assistance work and work on your flexibility.

I have no argument there. I'll continue to work flexibility, but I seem to make pretty slow progress with it.

damnit BTO I hate you lol! Its like you just decide to do something and get it done, no lag time. Very impressive, I would be very interested to see your max deadlift.

LOL, thanks. If you're interested, I'll post a deadlift video next Monday. My max gym deadlift is currently 545.

Lones Green
11-03-2009, 02:05 PM
You should get more out of the suit if you take your stance out, and depth will come easier