PDA

View Full Version : first injury...

Virtron
11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Simply put, I was deadlifting at about my max. It was the first time I ever wore a belt. It felt unusual. It through me off completely. I went up and as I put it down. I felt a pain in my back. I know some of you are experienced enough so i'll try to describe the pain in the best way possible.

First, it doesn't hurt when I extend my back. In other words, lets say I'm doing just the concentric phase of a good morning. Easy. But if i'm sitting on a chair and i lean forward in a "crunch" like motion. Its a sharp pain. It hurts to sit for extended periods of time. I find myself wanting to stand in class. The Bill Starr Rehab - good mornings with a broom stick for 75 reps - seems to help reduce the pain.

Second, it feels like the middle of the sacrum but the right edge of it. I mean for lack of a better description... A few inches higher than the buttcrack and about an inch or two to the right.

Any suggestions?

vdizenzo
11-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a lumbar disc. Hopefully it's just a herniation. If you have insurance why not get it checked out.

Virtron
11-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a lumbar disc. Hopefully it's just a herniation. If you have insurance why not get it checked out.

i wish i had insurance. I really do. I should get it from my employer in a year. For now, its ice packs and self-rehab.

ZenMonkey
11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
and tylenol... lots of tylenol. I wouldnt do any rehab until the pain is gone.

I have chronic lumbar disc issues and to lay on the floor and rest my calves on the couch so the my hips and knees are at right angles is the prone position and will take the pressure off of the disc. I recommend getting used to this position for a while.

Virtron
11-03-2009, 11:05 AM
thats actually supine not prone... My dics are fine. I can hyperextend my back with no problem... Its laying in the position you mentioned which is a little more uncomfortable. I mean the pain isnt awful. I can walk, run, etc. I can squat with no weight only if i maintain an arch. Its the flexion that gets me. Like if i try to touch my toes with my legs straight...the stretching feels like something is being pulled.

ZenMonkey
11-03-2009, 11:08 AM
I meant neutral position, it takes the pressure off. What you are describing sounds like a disc to me.

Travis Bell
11-03-2009, 11:08 AM
If you have access to a reverse hyper, it'll really speed along the recovery.

I've had several athletes with similar types of injuries and the reverse hyper honestly worked wonders on their back.

rbtrout
11-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I get that every once in a while and just ride it out. Lots of streching and lots of Ibuprofen.

Virtron
11-03-2009, 11:38 AM
If you have access to a reverse hyper, it'll really speed along the recovery.

I've had several athletes with similar types of injuries and the reverse hyper honestly worked wonders on their back.

Say I don't have one, but I have a platform high enough... if I just swung my legs back off of it... what sort of set and rep scheme would you recommend?

Lones Green
11-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Say I don't have one, but I have a platform high enough... if I just swung my legs back off of it... what sort of set and rep scheme would you recommend?

There must be one close enough for you to use

There isn't anything like it, but thats better than nothing

Rugg
11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Your condition is pretty much exactly what I've had for the better part of 15 years. It gets better and worse. Stretch, stretch, stretch, sit in a chair, cross one leg, and fold over forwards and slowly try to reach as far down as you can (dont push it, just relax into it) then switch. And most of all, learn to RELAX your back. The muscle is tight like a bowstring, the best thing I've learned is to not favor the injured side at all, walk as normally as possible, sit in even positions (even going as far as putting your wallet in your front pocket), and sleep on your back.

All of these things have helped me every time I manage to re-injure myself.

Travis Bell
11-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Like Lones said, I would really try and find a gym that has one, but if you simply cannot, swinging your legs alone is better than nothing I guess

If you're just doing body weight, sets of probably 20 are your best bet. You're going to have to put a towel between your hips and the platform so it doesn't hurt and then really focus on swinging your legs forward to allow your back to relieve the pressure on those disks. Might even be able to hold a 5lb dumbbell between your feet to aid in the swinging motion.

Chris Rodgers
11-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Like Lones said, I would really try and find a gym that has one, but if you simply cannot, swinging your legs alone is better than nothing I guess

If you're just doing body weight, sets of probably 20 are your best bet. You're going to have to put a towel between your hips and the platform so it doesn't hurt and then really focus on swinging your legs forward to allow your back to relieve the pressure on those disks. Might even be able to hold a 5lb dumbbell between your feet to aid in the swinging motion.

Bands work pretty good for this. I used to rig a band around a dumbell out in front of the rack. Then I would wrap the band around my ankles and swing back.

Virtron
11-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate all your help. Ill give it a try and let you know how it works. Also, ive narrowed down the pain to my sacroiliac joint. So, i hope reverse hypers help