PDA

View Full Version : 1st meet advice

Andre518
11-03-2009, 09:02 AM
This weekend will be my 1st meet and I'm a little up in the air about my bench. Two weeks ago I was feeling really good I was thinking of going 290-300lbs for my bench opener then then go 315 2nd and around 230-240 for my third. But last Friday I had a really bad bench day at 295 my butt kept coming off the bench and everything felt heavy so I was thinking of dialing back some maybe 275 opener 300 2nd and 330 3rd I worried that I will hit 1st and 2nd fine then miss the 3rd and only get a 300 for my bench. Today I tested the water with 275 and 300, 275 went up fine and 300 was a little heavy but it was clean. What advice would you guys give on the situation. I was really looking to hit 330-340 on my bench but now I'm really starting to second guess myself. My biggest goal right now is not bombing out of my 1st meet but I think I will be mad with myself if I total but with lower number than I really expected from myself. Any advice would be great.

byronsru24
11-03-2009, 09:17 AM
2 things...

1...you should NEVER care about what your opening with. Your opener is to get you into the meet, and nothing more. If its your first meet, you should probably open even lighter because lifting in a meet is NOTHING like lifting in the gym. Nerves, the crowd, listening to the commands, everything can and will get to you.

2..you should go into a meet confident in your training, and your lifts. So you had one bad bench day...big ****ing deal. We all do. Shake it off. If your training was good up to that point, it will show on the platform. If not, then you'll know you need to change things.

Less thinking, and more lifting

Barbaccio
11-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Dude, for your first meet you have WAY too much thought going into it. You're supposed to HAVE FUN. What number do you ABSOLUTELY want to hit? 315? Then open 285. Go to 315 on your second. This way, if something goes wrong (for example you forget to hold it at the top and/or forget to wait for the press call) you can take again on the 3rd. If you do hit it, you can go for broke on your 3rd and take a shot at 330/340. Stop worrying and taking weight a million times. When you get to the meet the adrenaline you'll have will make everything feel light. I am hungry for a taco.

Beverly McD.
11-03-2009, 09:51 AM
"My biggest goal now is not bombing out of my first meet"
In that case open light. Meet jitters can cause an adrenaline dump. That dump can make you feel weak and a little unstable under the bar.
It happens alot with new lifters, but even established lifters have to deal with it once-in-awhile at the bigger meets.

It's not where you start, it's where you finish.:)

jthomas
11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
I tell all of our lifters this, open with a weight light enough you can do if you got kicked in balls right before.

BigTallOx
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Today I tested the water with 275 and 300, 275 went up fine and 300 was a little heavy but it was clean. What advice would you guys give on the situation.

Don't be "testing the waters" since it's not going to help you at the meet, but rest will. I almost always have a horrible bench session a week or two before the meet, but at all 6 of the meets of competed in, I've set bench PR's.

Any advice would be great.

Don't worry about your numbers, especially for your first meet. No matter what you bench, in 6 months you're probably look back and think it's light.

What I usually do is open with something I can easily get for 2 or 3 reps on a really bad day. Then on my second it's usually around my current personal best, and then based on how that goes I decide what to do for my third.

Have fun, I love meets.

Lones Green
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
You can do a search and find a lot of really good information on this. We've covered it a few times

abbcccxyyzzz
11-14-2009, 08:23 PM
An opener should be something you can get 2-3x times even on a bad day. The 2nd lift you should go for it, in that you know 90% you could get it. Then 3rd lift is the bonus where you try something you never did before or what REALISTICALLY you could do that day on how you feel.

Dont worry, I went through the same thing man! I had a bad workout 2 weeks before my meet and even slightly injured myself even! I could only deadlift 585 lbs for one! But in my meet I got 600lbs opener, and 639 lbs third, and just missed my 662 lbs fourth @ lockout! (All raw.)