PDA

View Full Version : Help touching in a super katana

ironchef
11-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Alright I have not been able to touch in my shirt and its to the point where I am either going to burn it or use it as toilet paper. So I am here to enlist your help as to what I am doing wrong. It is a custom super ss katana and its set so its choking me and the sleeves are as far back as we can get them and I not only soaked the chest plate but I also soaked the sleeves for good measure. This is the about the 10th time I have tried it and I am at my breaking point and if I had the money to buy another shirt I would but I got this one and a meet coming up. So what advice do yall have?

ironchef
11-03-2009, 09:43 PM
needed ten to post the links. Thanks alot for the help.
http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=j2uQOBkfJxg
http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=8oSw3jyl5Ys
http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=vTe3BqLT8ko
http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=bJvQQlb2fcM

robchris
11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Iron,

Could'nt see the vid's for some reason... What size do you wear? Are you sure the sleeves are completely seated in your arm-pits???

I tell you, if it not, that SK will lock-up and you will never touch. I had a buddy of mine tell me that he touches as low as possible after the shirt locks-up by steering the bar towards his belly. Luckly I was able to touch in mine by the usual stuff, arching high, pulling the bar down, and wetting the chest & sleeves as you stated.

Try doing hvy. hvy. weight w/ reverse bands... this helped when I was breaking in the shirt off bds.!

Good luck bro!

ironchef
11-03-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2uQOBkfJxg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSw3jyl5Ys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTe3BqLT8ko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJvQQlb2fcM
wonder why they didnt work the first time. Hope they work this time

NickAus
11-04-2009, 02:09 AM
You may find it easier to touch with a wider grip, this goes against what most will say but it has worked for me so no harm trying.

Ryano
11-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Get your belt pulled down so you can push your belly up. Drive your heels during the decent to drive your belly up. If you look at the first vid, when you leg drive, you belly comes up high enough that it would have touched. Also, I cann't see if you have the widest grip possible, but if not, put your index fingers on the 81cm rings. You CAN touch in that shirt. If you ever get a chance, hit up one of Rob & Pauls seminars. They would have you touching 405 in that shirt. Good luck.

dammstrate
11-04-2009, 07:12 AM
You are not tucking your elbows hardly at all. There is a point in each
vid where you can see the shirt starts to lock up. At that point, your hands
start to fall towards your belly, and you probably feel like you going to
dump it. THAT'S the point where you need to start tucking your elbows
towards your body to keep them under your hands.

max grip width
pull belt down to allow belly up
drive heals into the ground
tuck

From those vids, you should be able to get there no problem.

Lones Green
11-04-2009, 07:31 AM
I've heard those Katanas are a bitch to touch in, however, it looks like you should be able to touch in that.

Its you, not the shirt. You have spotters, they are there for you if you dump the weight. Take in a big breath of air, push your belly up, and hold on to the bar and let it settle. It looks a little bit like you're freaking out or whatever, when if you'd hold on, it'll touch.

Make sure your technique is solid too, listen to all this advice about tucking.

Watch some of Mark Bell's videos, he is super patient with his shirt, and even though some of his benches may take longer to touch than Christmas, they still touch. He blasts them up as well

Clifford Gillmore
11-04-2009, 08:03 AM
I've heard those Katanas are a bitch to touch in, however, it looks like you should be able to touch in that.

Henry CANNOT touch in his Katana, it locks to a complete stop at around 1 board height. I think he still hasn't gotten over 600lbs down at 220lbs, its a crazy piece of equipment.

ironchef
11-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I will try the max width again and pulling the belt a little farther up. As for more weight I have had the shirt set right where it was in those vids and got 600 down to the same spot and almost guillotined myself the first time lol. My own fault as I had never had that kind of weight in my hands before for a full motion press. I tried it 3 more times and that is about as far as I got it. I am new to the more advance shirts as the only other shirt I have used is a single ply phenom which is pretty much going raw so I am working on getting the elbows to tuck and bring my belly up to the bar. The shirt is a custom 58 that I had ken anderson fit for me I have a 60 in shoulder and a 52 in chest so i think that is the right size.

ironchef
11-04-2009, 08:31 AM
With a meet in three weeks I was wondering should I just dish out the cash for a shirt that is easier to use like the fury or a rage?

Clifford Gillmore
11-04-2009, 09:04 AM
With a meet in three weeks I was wondering should I just dish out the cash for a shirt that is easier to use like the fury or a rage?

I'd be doing my best to tweak the crap out of the shirt to make it easier to touch, maybe open with a raw bench so you don't bomb.

On the note of how long it takes for Mark Bell to touch, notice the speed between the 1/2 board and the full rom! Must of felt like forever.

0G5ryX-VOYc

Ryano
11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
You probably should have started with an F6. The Katana is definately an advanced shirt, but I think you can still touch in that shirt. Just follow Damstrates advice, wide grip, belt down, belly up, tuck elbows hard and drive heels. Don't be so quick to press the weight. Give it time to "settle". As for the meet, I usually touch easier at a meet than I do in the gym. If you can hit a 1/2 brd in the gym, you should be able to touch at the meet.

endymion88
11-04-2009, 09:07 AM
or bench raw i'm sure it wont be your last meet...

ironchef
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Holy **** that was a long time in the hole! That is a long time. Opening raw is an optioni am also thinking about going back to the phenom which pretty much raw. The shirt is a 52 not a 58.

SEOINAGE
11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
After benching in a shirt, and watching mark take that down to full rom, I can feel the pain he is going through at the bottom.

douglasoh5
11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I totally agree with all...you really just need to get with a cpl advanced lifters...its to damn hard to teach someone how to do anything over the internet....I tried helping a guy out with his squat cause it was just as bad as your bench and it really didnt help until he came out for a workout...where r u from....Im sure someone on here knows some ppl around where your from. or maybe someone on here isnt to far from you...a cpl hour trip isnt to far if your serious

ironchef
11-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I work out with army powerlifting and their coach rick scarpulla and its a great team. But he is a little inexperienced when it come to the more modern bench shirts so he is pretty much telling me all the same things you all are but this is the first time any of the team has used a super katana. the other lifters on the team have no issue with the regular katana so its kind of baffling him as to why I am not able to get it to work. Perhaps the shirt just isnt for me. But I live in hyde park,ny I think the close pl gym besides his is iron asylum.

scott rowe
11-04-2009, 10:56 AM
it will be so easy for you to touch in that shirt. I have the same one. first get ur index finger to the ring. 2nd settle ur shoulders down stick ur chest up. like 1 to 2 more inches there. 3rd dont worry about stretching the chest plate(that will come later) after two inches down bring ur elbows all the way in to ur ribs, u r nowhere close. then belly up and heals down. drop weight and do triples on boards. 2 boards should be easy, then 1.5 1, and half boards. wet the sleeves and chest for a few more workouts before it is on and during. u should be able to touch with less weight. u cant just touch because of more weight. as for this meet i wouldnt use this shirt until u touch atleast a half board.

barbell01
11-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Tuck!

barbell01
11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuojR3oJwPE

BigTallOx
11-04-2009, 12:18 PM

3 weeks out from a meet is no time to think about changing shirts. ( And personally, when I started benching in a shirt, I didn't find the fury to be any easier to learn, but maybe that's just because I have long arms or something. ) If you aren't ready in your current shirt, I'd say bench raw instead of trying to change shirts. Or open raw, I did that my first meet benching in a shirt, it worked well for me, but I know others here advised against it.

douglasoh5
11-04-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuojR3oJwPE

all of those metal militia vids are great.

Travis Bell
11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
And personally, when I started benching in a shirt, I didn't find the fury to be any easier to learn, but maybe that's just because I have long arms or something.

It isn't because you have long arms, it's because your technique wasn't quite there.

To the OP, I'm just going to echo what everyone else here has already told you. Don't buy a new shirt, either fix your form or just bench raw.

BigTallOx
11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
It isn't because you have long arms, it's because your technique wasn't quite there.

Just curious. So, why do you think the katana was easier for me to learn than the fury?

barbell01
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Just curious. So, why do you think the katana was easier for me to learn than the fury?

probobly because you learned the fury first, meaning you had some expierience in a shirt before you got in the katana.........

ironchef
11-04-2009, 04:50 PM
So I am going to try the shirt tomorrow on the speed day and again next week I will film it and post it for all y'all critique. I'm going to try switching to a regular belt i.e pants belt to see if it helps me get the bridge I need. I spent the afternoon watching supertraining vids and metal militia vids so hopefully along with everything you have told me I can get the shirt to work. Also Im going to put the shirt on with shirt slippers to see if I can get the shirt higher on my tris. Looking at some of the vids it seems like I should be able to get the sleeves up a little bit more. Thanks for all the advice and I will get back.

Travis Bell
11-04-2009, 07:20 PM

probobly because you learned the fury first, meaning you had some expierience in a shirt before you got in the katana.........

barbell01 nailed it

BigTallOx
11-04-2009, 08:56 PM
barbell01 nailed it

I don't think so, because I never "learned" it. I tried it for two me sessions, it felt impossible to learn, one of my training buddies said here try this katana, and I felt like I "got it" the second week in it. So, I think there's more to it, but it's probably off topic on this thread. Just to be clear, I'm not asking to cause any problems because my experience is different than what has worked for most, I'm just looking for insight into bench shirts because I'm thinking about getting something else.

Travis Bell
11-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think so, because I never "learned" it. I tried it for two me sessions, it felt impossible to learn, one of my training buddies said here try this katana, and I felt like I "got it" the second week in it. So, I think there's more to it, but it's probably off topic on this thread. Just to be clear, I'm not asking to cause any problems because my experience is different than what has worked for most, I'm just looking for insight into bench shirts because I'm thinking about getting something else.

If you were honestly looking for insight, you'd listen more to the advice that has been given to you.

LOL on the other hand I may just be clueless about this whole bench dealie

Anyways, back on topic....

Hazerboy
11-05-2009, 12:28 AM
on the other hand I may just be clueless about this whole bench dealie

lolololololol

Would you say its imperative to learn a shirt from someone whose gone there before you? (someone familiar with shirted benching)

vdizenzo
11-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else notice ironchef is all over the place? ironchef, I think you are having trouble touching for a number of reasons that have already been stated. However, I think one of your biggest problems is that you are not stable enough to allow the weight to come in. That could be the result of your form, the weight being too heavy, or the shirt being too much for you. JMHO

ironchef
11-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else notice ironchef is all over the place? ironchef, I think you are having trouble touching for a number of reasons that have already been stated. However, I think one of your biggest problems is that you are not stable enough to allow the weight to come in. That could be the result of your form, the weight being too heavy, or the shirt being too much for you. JMHO
I have noticed that in the vid and in the gym that when i put the shirt on Im a lot more unstable. I know the weight is not the issue I have board pressed around 600 pounds raw so the weight is not the problem, atleast I don't think. I agree that my form is not great and maybe its a mental thing because I am never really "comfortable" in the shirt.

jmccown
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
ironchef, I am going through the same thing as you with my super katana. However I have already gone through my first meet with the super katana and the results were not good. I was able to touch with my shirt before the meet in my training. However I still have not learned to use the SK properly. These are very advanced shirts. I moved up from an F6 and worked about every other week for 2 months prior to the meet in the SK. I bombed my meet with the SK because I would come out of the groove on the way back up and the shirt locked up. I would bring the weight down, touch/pause, press up and about 3/4 of the way up I stalled and started again to lockout. I was redlighted every time for starting/stopping. I was able to lock the weight out with no problem but because I haven't learned the groove yet I missed every lift because of technique. Some of the guys say with this shirt to tuck hard on the way down and then flare your elbows on the way back up to stay in the groove. I kept my elbows tucked on the way up and this caused my problem. So my advice to you is to use the shirt as often as you can. I thought I'd be comfortable in my shirt but turns out I wasn't. I performed better in my F6 than in my SK. However, having said that I know the SK will yield better overall numbers once I get dialed in with it. Best of luck with it.

ironchef
11-05-2009, 09:20 PM
So I put the shirt on again today and tried a few new things. First off i put the shirt on with slippers and got the sucker about an inch higher on my arm meaning it was seat higher on my shoulder and about three fingers from my bent elbow. Hard to explain but once i pulled it into this position it seemed to feel right and I also used a regular belt as opposed to a powerlifting belt and I felt that this really allowed me to bridge better and it allowed the shirt to stretch more while I benched. Any way I focused on trying to get a stronger setup and control at the top. Today with 405 I touched a 3 board for five no problem. A two board for 2 and what amounts to a 3/4 board for an easy double. I tried focusing on tucking and bring my legs in to the press. I have it on film and will post it later this is the best the shirt has felt. This is also the first time I didn't wet the shirt and I was still able to touch the board. I think the key was the extra inch. Anyway Ill post he vid soon and I welcome all criticism you got.

robchris
11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Iron,

Good work bro... Like I stated earlier, you have to get those arms fully seated or it's almost impossible to touch in a SK.

ironchef
11-06-2009, 09:12 AM
here are the new vids let me know what I am doing wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LvJKIFYZeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsIfRrLezM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0BjvXIESuc
Thanks in advance and man do my wrist miss the wraps, lol.

lilbigman
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Looking better! On a couple of the vids it looked like you might have been coming down kind of high. If you come down to high the shirt will lock and you will be way out of the groove. I am using a Super Katana currently and used it in a meet last weekend. I am finding the Super katana easier to use than a regular Katana. I would do some shirted reverse band presses, this will allow you to use some crazy weight and learn the groove of the shirt. It also helped me get used to that last inch, which can be a bear when using the shirt. Doing boards is fine but sometimes it is easy to get out of the groove when doing boards. I would stick with a 2 board and get used to keeping in the groove, once you are used to the groove the shirt will feel good and the weight won't feel as heavy. I break all my shirts in using reverse band presses and it seems to work for me. I was able to touch in only my second session in my Super Katana. I just set a PR at the meet of 605 but the best part is that I can touch with 500 in my shirt. As you use the shirt you will learn what works and what doesn't. Hang in there and keep working in it, I know it can become frustrating but you will get it.