PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cycling

hockegoale
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I've read a lot about carb cycling over the past few days, and I've been trying to keep things simple by alternating high and low carb days - but is this effective? I've seen sites recommend that approach, others a high, mid, and low carb approach, and others seem to have varying 2-7 day high carb periods followed by varying low carb periods as well. Is my alternating-day plan any less effective than these other plans? I would like to cut a little fat while I train, and this seems safe and effective, but I can't seem to find anything definitive or two sources of information that agree.

I am a male, and I try to weight train on high carb days and do other cardio-like activities or rest on low carb days.

Thank you for your help.

vdizenzo
11-05-2009, 05:39 AM
I like an article I have read on the subject by Christian Thibaudeau. It's called the carb cycling codex. It's more like calorie cycling. You don't go to almost zero carb days like some carb cycling plans. From some of what I have read by Dave Tate, he does not drop to ridiculously low level of carbs in his cycling and he looks fantastic.

Also, check out this article http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/ It's not carb cycling, but it's a good solid plan that I really believe in.

LuNa
11-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I like an article I have read on the subject by Christian Thibaudeau. It's called the carb cycling codex. It's more like calorie cycling. You don't go to almost zero carb days like some carb cycling plans. From some of what I have read by Dave Tate, he does not drop to ridiculously low level of carbs in his cycling and he looks fantastic.

Also, check out this article http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/ It's not carb cycling, but it's a good solid plan that I really believe in.

I want to second the article posted by Vinnie. For me it gave me a nice starting point. It is relatively easy to use the calories found by that article and combine it with carb cycling.

I have used carb cycling for a while and for me personally, the no carb days where i went under 20gr of carbs didnt provide me any benefits. This is for me personally, it might be different for you. At the moment i am using carb cycling to recomp which means i have 3 high days (i work out three times a week), 2 low days and 2 medium days.

Monday: High
Tuesday: Low
Wednesday: High
Thursday: Low
Friday: High
Saturday: Medium
Sunday: Medium

The medium days allow for some freedom on the weekends. The low days are around 150 gram of carbs, all taken in the first two meals of the day. My other meals on those days are carb free. High days, i have all my meals with carbs and low amounts of fat.

Btw, what Vinnie mentioned about Dave Tate is true. It was actually really funny to read. He said the following:

I like carb cycling mostly because I ****ing love Fruity Pebbles and Mike and Ikes candy. Some of my super-high days are 1200 grams of carbs. My metabolism just flies. But then I gotta follow that with a low-carb day. It's ****ing horrible. I can only have 200 grams of carbs that day. It's a nightmare.

A lot of guys are going to read that and say, "**** you, Dave. 200 grams is not low-carb." Whatever.

Fun stuff :P.

The point is, you will have to try it and see what happens. If you are not loosing fat, trade in a high day for another medium day. Or make a low day lower. There is so much you can do with it, that you will have to experiment to see what works.

Hazerboy
11-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Not only that, but getting a super low amount of carbs in days is really ,really ****ing hard. EVERYTHING has carbs. milk has carbs. avocados have carbs. Peanuts have carbs. Hell, the RESULTS I take every morning have 80 G of carbs. Even on my lowest days, I can't get under around 150 gs.

skinny99
11-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Not only that, but getting a super low amount of carbs in days is really ,really ****ing hard. EVERYTHING has carbs. milk has carbs. avocados have carbs. Peanuts have carbs. Hell, the RESULTS I take every morning have 80 G of carbs. Even on my lowest days, I can't get under around 150 gs.

Actually Low-Carbs is really easy,just boring and not trully healthy! Meat,eggs,cheese and Oh yeah more meat! Results is not a low carb option!

hockegoale
11-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Thank you for the input. I actually perused those articles before, and I'll certainly take them into account considering the authors definitely have much more knowledge on the subject than I do. I may continue on my current route for another week or two and see if there are any significant changes, and if there's nothing I'll surely switch it up to something specifically recommended in one of the articles linked.

Usually on "low carb days" I simply try to avoid starchy carbohydrates, like bread, oatmeal, rice, etc and dairy, if I can. I dont think I'm anywhere near 0 carbs, but then on high carb days there is a huge increase comparatively. I gathered this is the basis of carb-cycling, and I think? I see some results. I certainly don't feel anymore tired or weak, but if this ever affected me negatively in any way it's just not worth it.

@skinny - I can understand that low carb days all the time are certainly not healthy for someone actively weight training, but are you saying even when mixed into this program they're still unhealthy?

@luna - looks like a good idea, and a good variation of cycling to try out.

skinny99
11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
^ I think that low carb mixed in on these programs is plenty healthy! Trying to eat low carb all the time would be tough to keep a balanced meal plan! These cycling programs allow you to eat things the body needs and wants on the higher carb days! Fruits,vegetables and grains that are high in carbs but also "good" for you! IMO

Invain
11-10-2009, 10:04 PM

That's because you're eating the wrong foods. I have no problem hitting below 20 or 30 grams a day.

cphafner
11-10-2009, 10:10 PM
That's because you're eating the wrong foods. I have no problem hitting below 20 or 30 grams a day.

bingo.

skinny99
11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Meat baby! It really is that simple!