PDA

View Full Version : shirted benching, wrist cocked back

jtteg_x
11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I thought it was my f6 shirt at first but it happened with my super katana as well. When I bring down my heaviest sets (typically 1 brd or touch), my wrists tend to cock back at the very last inch. Anything 2-brd or higher my technique is great. I grip the bar hard and it still happens. I had my coach muscle up my shirt (pull the pecs up/collar low) both times. What could be some possibilities why this happens?

Lones Green
11-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Pretty common problem, happens to me from time to time. You can really screw yourself doing that.

Its probably more of a form issue. It sounds like you're cocking your wrists back trying to touch, don't do it. Its as simple as that, haha

Wrap your wrists SUPER tight and come way up on your hand with the wrap.

Just think about keeping your wrists straight, you can do some wrist roller and forearm work but I think its just mental

Ryano
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Eventually you will snap both the radial & ulnar bones in one of your arms. This happened to two lifters I know. DO NOT cock your wrist back. I would suggest doing more grip work and wrap your wrists tighter(as tight as possible). Keep the bar over the top of your forearm bones, not behind them!

NickAus
11-04-2009, 04:58 PM
It's just a fear thing, as you tuck at the bottom your brain is telling you not to take the bar to far away from what you are used to so you bend your wrists back at the same time as you tuck.
You just need to tuck and keep your wrists straight and trust the strength of your shirt.
Let the shirt settle at the same time as tucking and bringing your belly up.

robchris
11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
JT,
Had the same problem before... Just trust your gear and go for it! Pull the bar down/belly up, instead of cocking your wrist and you will touch!

BTW, invest in some APT 36" wrist wraps if you havent already... They give me a lot of confidence w/ hvy. weights.

vdizenzo
11-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I am having that issue as of late. I need to build my equipped strength so I can trust my form better. Also, I'm staying away from boards in the shirt.

icedutah
11-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Good idea about staying away from using boards with a shirt. If you wanna learn to use a shirt then a lifter better not be using boards a whole lot. You can nearly dump the bar so low with boards and still lift the weight back up. Do this w/o them and you will dump the weight. So in a way boards + shirts can teach bad form.

I would only recommend using boards more if you can say for sure that you have mastered that given shirt 100%.

I am having that issue as of late. I need to build my equipped strength so I can trust my form better. Also, I'm staying away from boards in the shirt.

Travis Bell
11-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Usually it also seems to be a problem of guys forgetting to pull the bar down and push their chest up into the bar.

When you're thinking about pulling the bar down, you can't really do that with your wrists cocked back. Usually wrists cocked back means that you're letting the weight fall into the shirt.

vdizenzo
11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Usually it also seems to be a problem of guys forgetting to pull the bar down and push their chest up into the bar.

When you're thinking about pulling the bar down, you can't really do that with your wrists cocked back. Usually wrists cocked back means that you're letting the weight fall into the shirt.

Yes, that is eactly my problem. I have never once felt like I am pulling the bar down. I always feel like I am letting the weight come in. I know the concept, I just have never been able to experience it.

waynedang
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes, that is eactly my problem. I have never once felt like I am pulling the bar down. I always feel like I am letting the weight come in. I know the concept, I just have never been able to experience it.

I have always had the same problem. the only good thing is thats less distance to touch:evillaugh: