PDA

View Full Version : Starting from 6'0" 145lbs, 29 years old, no experience

AndrewMadrid
11-05-2009, 05:35 PM
My name is Andrew, i'm 29 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh 155 pounds.

On my 29th birthday this June i decided that it was time to get out of skinnydom and I set a weight goal of 160 to reach before Christmas. At the time, i weighed 145, which had been my weight pretty much since I was 16.

I ran cross country from ages 15-21 so I have been in very good shape in the past, but always skinny skinny skinny, and I must admit, i have never been proud of my body. In high school and college I always wore clothes 3 sizes too big for me, it wasn't till a couple years ago did i realize what having clothes that 'fit' actually meant.

I started going to the gym in July, doing a 7 day rotation of day 1 chest & biceps, day 2 rest, day 3 legs, day 4 back & triceps, day 5 rest, day 6 shoulders & abs, and day 7 rest. I found this rotation on askmen.com, the article said the idea was to not work opposing muscle groups on consecutive days. As I know nothing about weightlifting/bodybuilding, it sounded good to me. I did 4 exercises per body part with 12, 10, 8, and 6 reps each.

I bought some myoplex muscle powder and drank two shakes a day, each shake containing 350 calories or so. Now I'm taking 2-4 scoops a day of Prolab Advanced Whey Protein. I also made an effort to eat more, but didn't count any calories. Before I started going to the gym I tended to starve myself basically because I was too lazy to get off my ass and cook or too tight to go out and buy something. For years I ate basically two meals a day, never eating breakfast, drinking a glass of milk for a snack. I just joined Fitday.com yesterday, and I am pretty shocked after discovering how few calories I was eating in a day, like we're talking some days less than 1000. Hunger has never really bothered me, so I have to literally set alarms on my cell phone to remind me to eat.

So there's the background. After eating more and going to the gym for a couple of months, I weighed 155 at the beginning of September. Now it's November and my weight hasn't changed, and I'm guessing it's because I haven't been eating enough. After creating a fitday.com account I think that's probably right, I am struggling with hitting 3000 calories a day, I'm closer to 2600. The reason is, I get up at noon, go to the gym, go to work, and get home around 9pm. If I don't have all my sh¡t together, i.e. food in the fridge, meals prepared, schedule worked out, etc, then I miss eating, and i don't hit the calorie goals. As I am very busy and have poor self-discipline and planning skills (I hope no future employers are reading this), this happens a lot. So this goal I've set is going to require a complete change of lifestyle, which is much more than I was bargaining for in the beginning.

But I'm game. The hardest part is going to be getting up in the morning. I've never been good at that. We'll see how it goes.

At the beginning of September I found a routine from Muscle and Fitness magazine that looked interesting, lots more complex than what I was doing, and a bunch of exercises that I didn't even know existed, like "Romanian Deadlift" and "EZ Bar French Press". It said it was a weight-gaining program used by "professional bodybuilders" so I was like, hell yeah. Here it is:

CHEST
Incline Barbell Press
5 sets of increasing weight, 12, 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
Flat Bench Barbell Press
3 sets of decreasing weight, 6, 10, 10 reps
Decline Dumbell Press
3 sets decreasing weight, 6-8, 6-8, 10 reps
Seated Machine Press
Two sets of equal weight, 10, 10 reps
Cable Crossover
Two sets of equal weight, 12, 12 reps

BACK
Bent-Over Barbell Row
Barbell Deadlift
4 sets of increasing weight, 10, 8, 8, 6 reps
Lat Pulldown to the Front
3 sets of decreasing weight, 8, 8, 10 reps
Seated Cable Row
3 sets decreasing weight, 8, 10, 10 reps
Good Morning
2 sets of equal weight, 10, 10 reps

LEGS
Barbell Squat
Hack Squat
4 sets decreasing weight, 6, 6, 8, 10 reps
Romanian Deadlift
3 sets increasing weight, 10, 10, 8 reps
Leg Extension
Lying Leg Curl
2 sets decreasing weight, 10, 12 reps
Standing Calf Raise
3 sets of increasing weight, 15, 12, 12 reps

SHOULDERS
Seated Barbell Press
4 sets increasing weight, 12, 10, 8, 6
Seated Dumbell Press
3 sets decreasing weight, 6, 8, 10 reps
Front Dumbell Raise
2 sets equal weight, 10, 10 reps
Dumbell Lateral Raise
3 sets decreasing weight, 8, 8, 10 reps
Bent-Over Dumbell Lateral Raise
3 sets decreasing weight, 8, 8, 10 reps

TRICEPS
Close-Grip Bench Press
5 sets increasing weight, 10, 10, 8, 6, 6
Dips
3 sets of 10 reps, bodyweight
Seated EZ-Bar French Press
Rope Pressdown

BICEPS
Standing Barbell Curl
5 sets increasing weight, 10, 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
EZ-Bar Preacher Curl
Concentration Curl
2 sets of equal weight, 12, 12 reps
Hammer Curl
3 sets equal weight, 10, 10, 8 reps

And I follow the same rotation I mentioned earler:

Day 1: Chest & Biceps
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Back & Triceps
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Shoulders
Day 7: Rest

After reading some other journals on here, it looks like this is waaaay more than a lot of you guys do in a week, and I'm wondering if this routine isn't too much for me. Since I've been doing this for a month and a half and haven't gained any weight, I don't really know. I have made strength gains, but not weight gains, but like I said, could be because I'm not getting the calories in.

I've realized that I like exercising some body parts more than others. I hate leg day for example. Hate it. Squat, leg press, extensions, hate them. Calves are cool though. Love chest and biceps, back and triceps, like shoulders too. I would love to only do upper body workouts, but I don't want to have a bigger upper body atop little chicken legs. Plus I like that I'm starting to fill out my jeans more now instead of them hanging off me.

Now for a few numbers...according to my little book here I always carry to the gym with me, this is what I'm lifting on my last sets for each exercise. (*Note, I have no idea how much the bar weighs, a guy in the gym told me somewhere around 15 kg or about 35 lbs):

Flat Bench Press 65 kg, 145 lbs
Squat 75 kg, 165 lbs
Deadlift 60 kg, 130 lbs
Barbell Curls 25 kg, 55 lbs
Pullups max 6 @ bodyweight
Dips max 11 @ bodyweight

I might as well talk a bit about my new gym. Hell, I'll post a link to pics of it: gimnasiochamberi.com/instalaciones.html
It's funny because they play club music in the weight room, which is hilarious because I'm used to hearing classic rock or hard rap, not Cher and Madonna, lol. We have a 'monitor' who walks around and is supposed to help people I guess, but it seems like he's usually just bullsh¡tting around with the same group of guys. When I asked him about my program he told me I should be doing higher reps, like 15! I cocked an eyebrow at that one, because everything I read suggests that I want lower reps and higher weight to gain mass. So I haven't asked him anything since.

There's nobody really huge at my gym which is nice because that way I don't feel so skinny.

So that's it. I've created this thread to have somewhere to document my progress and to hopefully get some feedback. Thanks for reading!

AndrewMadrid

ehubbard
11-06-2009, 05:49 AM
A couple things:

1) Squats are hard, that is probably why you hate them. They are one of the most important exercises for you to do if you want to get big.
2) You only work your legs once a week, with the other days devoted to upper body. Try and split it up more evenly.
3) At this stage, you should have someone experienced evaluate your technique on the major lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, military). Bad habits can develop and they can be hard to break.
4) If there is no one bigger than you at your gym, it may be time to find another gym. See comment 3.
5) Finally, 160 is a reasonable goal for the end of the year, but what are your longer term goals?

Off Road
11-06-2009, 07:15 AM
It's very hard to convince guys that what they read in magazines is total cr@p. I mean after all, they have great pictures of muscular guys to convince you. And yes, the pros do train that way (mostly)...but ask yourself this; Are you a pro bodybuilder? Do you look like the guys in the pictures? If not, then what makes you think that you can train the same way the pros do? If you keep doing the same stuff that hasn't worked for you in the past, what makes you think that suddenly it will start working for you now? Just some food for thought :)

ehubbard
11-06-2009, 10:38 AM
It's very hard to convince guys that what they read in magazines is total cr@p. I mean after all, they have great pictures of muscular guys to convince you. And yes, the pros do train that way (mostly)...but ask yourself this; Are you a pro bodybuilder? Do you look like the guys in the pictures? If not, then what makes you think that you can train the same way the pros do? If you keep doing the same stuff that hasn't worked for you in the past, what makes you think that suddenly it will start working for you now? Just some food for thought :)

Good Point. However, as a beginner with only a few months of experience, most programs will work in terms of putting on muscle and getting stronger. I would rather have someone do a garbage program with consistancy, than to half ass a solid program.

Off Road
11-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Good Point. However, as a beginner with only a few months of experience, most programs will work in terms of putting on muscle and getting stronger. I would rather have someone do a garbage program with consistancy, than to half ass a solid program.
I agree, but apply that dedication to a better routine and the results would be even better.

AndrewMadrid
11-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I appreciate your comments.

So my program is garbage. Now what?

Squat; 50kg x 10, 60kg x 8, 60kg x 6, 60 kg x 6
Hack Squat; 40 x 8, 40 x 6, 40 x 6
Leg Extension; 10 x 10, 10 x 8, 10 x 6, 11 x 6
Calf Raise; 85 x 15, 90 x 15, 90 x 13
Pullups; Bodyweight x 6

Ow, don't remember squats being that hard before. My legs have been sore for 3 days. I want to be able to do more pullups, I have a friend who can do 27 and I am barely able to do 6, I guess I should do them every session to improve (?).

Barbell Rows; 20kg x 12, 30kg x 10, 30kg x 8, 35kg x 6, 35kg x 6
Close-Grip Bench Press; 20 x 10, 30 x 10, 30 x 8, 35 x 6, 37.5 x 6
Deadlift; 40 x 10, 40 x 8, 45 x 6, 45 x 6
Dips; Bodyweight x 10 x 3
Pullups; Bodyweight x 6

Ouch, I expended so much energy on the deadlifts, I could only do a couple more exercises until I was worn out. My back is sore today.

Wasn't able to meet my 3000 calories yesterday because I was so busy, but think I made it no problem today. Lots of meat and potatoes.

Off Road
11-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Ouch, I expended so much energy on the deadlifts, I could only do a couple more exercises until I was worn out. My back is sore today.

That's the answer right there. The deadlifts wore you out because they work just about every muscle in your body. Your body will not be able to recouperate properly if you do too much. Therefore your routine will have to be abreviated to keep making any progress.

With the weights you are using, I'd recomend you start with a routine like Starting Strength or Hardgainer. You need to build a foundation of strength and size as well as build up your work capacity before the bodybuilding type stuff will be really effective. Just mt 2 cents worth...I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do and I'll be checking in and cheering you on.

AndrewMadrid
11-11-2009, 08:58 AM
[Workouts]

8 November

Incline Bench (don't remember)
Flat Bench 2 x 10 x 40kg, 1 x 5 x 50kg
Hammer Curls 3 x 10 x 10kg
Barbell Curls (on cable machine)
Pull-ups

11 November
Squat 1 set 5 x 60kg with bad form. Dropped to 40kg for the remaining two sets of 5.
Standing Military Press 3 x 5 x 20kg
Pendlay Rows 3 x 5 x 35kg

[Nutrition]
I gained over a pound since last week. After almost two months with no gains, I'm happy. Being on FitDay has really helped me get ahold of my calories. Now I weigh 70.9kg (156lbs).

[Thoughts]
So OffRoad has suggested that I do starting strength. Well I got online looking for the program. I found a couple different versions of the program, which has me confused, as usual. One has 3 exercises per session and the other has five. I would buy the book but I live in Spain so, good luck. So today as you can see above I did squats, overhead presses and pendlay rows.

I looked up Power Cleans on Youtube and man, those look cool, I'd love to be able to do them. I wouldn't dare try without a coach though, I'd probably give myself a hernia.

I went to look at another gym today that be a bit more like what I'm looking for. Might change after this membership expires.

I read something funny when I was looking for Starting Strength guides. It said, if you are serious about building muscle, then this program is for you. If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then go to one of those chains like Bally's and do what the instructor tells you.

????????? Once again, totally confused. I think the Abercrombie models look pretty good, am I not supposed to want to look like that? And, so, if I do starting strength, what am I going to end up looking like?

Off Road
11-11-2009, 09:19 AM
if I do starting strength, what am I going to end up looking like?
You will end up looking like a bigger version of YOU. A particular routine isn't going to change the way you look and you won't magically turn into a model.

Good for you on getting started with a good strength building routine. I personally don't think it matters if you do the three lift routine or the five lift routine. All that matters is that you can keep getting stronger and bigger on the basic lifts.

Also, the routine you pick isn't as important as the principals that those quality routines are based on. Learn why Starting Strength has you doing; certain exercises, ammount of movements, ammount of work days, ammount of rest days, the sets/reps, cycles, and diet. When you answer those questions you'll be on your way to understanding why some things work and others don't.

AndrewMadrid
11-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Friday the 13th of November

Squat 3 x 5 x 45kg
Bench 3 x 5 x 45kg
Deadlift 3 x 5 x 55kg <-oops supposed to do 1x5
Dips 3 x 10 x bodyweight

In my gym you have to pay 50 cents to weigh yourself so i only do it once a week. The machine prints out a little ticket with your height, weight, bmi, and other stuff. I think it's broken though, it says i'm 4'2". Hopefully the at least the weight is accurate. I stick the tickets on my wall to keep track of my progress.

My plan is to add 5kg per session to the squat, deadlift, and row, and 2.5kg per session to the bench and standing press. Due to my slow progress in the past few months, I have doubts, so maybe I should think in terms of weeks instead of sessions.

Today those weights seemed pretty heavy. I think my short-term goal is going to be the 500-lb club and then we'll go from there.

The dips are not getting any easier although I've been doing them for 3 months now. Every time I arrive at that 10th one, I feel like my arms are about to pop off. A weird thing too, dips always produce a really weird tingling sensation in my left shoulder. It doesn't hurt, but it's like when you tap your funny bone and get prickly tingles all through your arm. It's always done that, so I guess everything's ok, just nerves getting pinched or something(?).

I tried a new grip on the deadlift, where you put your fingers over your thumbs, cause I read it was better, but I couldn't get my fingers all the way around the bar and my thumbs too, so I went back to a normal grip.

Off Road
11-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Dang! 4'2"...you are short :evillaugh:
I don't think I'd trust that machine too much.
Have you tried adding weight to the dips and use lower reps?

AndrewMadrid
11-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Tuesday 17 November 2009

Squat 3 x 5 x 50kg
Press 3 x 5 x 20kg
Clean 3 x 5 x 30kg
Chin-ups 3 x 5 x bodyweight

I had a party weekend so negative points on my diet but at least I got plenty of sleep. Was in a bit of a hurry this morning so I wonder if my form suffered.

After watching videos on Youtube on how to do the powerclean, especially with rippetoe himself coaching, plus reading several descriptions of the exercise, i decided to give it a whirl. I practiced with a bar in front of a mirror for a few minutes to try to get the motion down, then I stuck 17.5kg on both sides and gave it a yank. I felt like I was struggling too much to get the bar up so I took off 5kg and tried again. I paid very close attention to my back, to the position of the bar when i began the jump, the jump itself, and the finishing position. After practicing today, i am convinced I can and will do this exercise instead of the rows. My self-critique, based on the difference i observed in myself and what i saw rippetoe coaching were two things: My elbows weren't high enough in the finishing position and the movement was overall too slow. I'm going to continue to work on this and hopefully figure out a way to get a video of myself for a form check...cause there ain't no one in my gym who can help me. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I stuck some chin-ups on there today, the kind where your hands are facing each other on two grips that are sticking out of the top of the cable crossover machine. I was floored that I could do 15, because before I had tried pull-ups with my palms facing away and my arms far apart and i could barely, barely squeeze out 6 in total. The change in grip made a huge difference, and really boosted my confidence (awww).

Well, it's 8:40pm and I'm only 670 calories away from meeting my goal today, so I'm off to eat.

AndrewMadrid
11-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Man my traps are sore!!! Today I noticed my knees were bothering me when I was going up some stairs, worries me a bit.

Nonetheless, looking forward to the gym tomorrow.

AndrewMadrid
11-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Thursday 19 November 2009

Squat 3 x 5 x 55kg (121lbs)
Bench 3 x 5 x 47.5kg (105lbs)
Deadlift 1 x 5 x 60kg (132lbs)
Dips 2 x 10 x bodyweight, 1 x 5 x bodyweight + 5kg (11lbs)

Today I weighed myself and I'm up to 71.5kg or almost 158lbs, shocked to see it actually after regularly missing my nutrition goal of 3000 good calories daily. Motivating!

Kinda meh about my workout today because the first set of squats was tough, the second was really tough to the point where I almost lost my balance, then the third set was strangely not as tough. I am beginning to see that weightlifting requires more focus than I thought. Just a little bit of distraction and the weights seem a lot heavier.

When I was doing bench press I asked a guy if he could spot me for the second set. Little did I know what this guy's idea of spotting was. He asked how many reps I wanted, and I said 5, and he said, "Only 5?" I was like, "Uh, yeah." He helped me get the bar off the rack, but then did not let go and was very obviously pulling on the bar with each rep! Obviously I was surprised but didn't feel I could object with the weight over me, so just went through with the exercise. Then, after I finish, he starts critiquing my form and telling me I'm lifting too much weight. I told him I was doing a program of high weight and low reps and he was like, yeah, ok.

So that upset me because, based on the way he was spotting me I really didn't know how seriously to take his comments. Of course I welcome any advice, but, this came with lots of mixed signals. Needless to say, I did the last set of 5 without a spot and was fine. The frustration from the previous set probably helped.

So I'm going to look this up, but before I do I might as well post here, where is the correct place for the bar to touch your chest? I have always aimed for just about a half-inch south from my nips, but this guy was telling me I needed to be north of them. ???

Deadlift felt good, I don't think 5 more kgs next session will be any problem. It sure fúcks me up when that bar scrapes my shins though, last time there was blood running down my leg.

Dips, I asked a monitor if there was a belt that had a chain to hang weights from, and after about 15 minutes of looking he was able to find one. I stuck 5kg on my last set and really noticed a difference!

Till next time.

AndrewMadrid
11-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Sunday, 22 November 2009

Squat 3 x 5 x 60kg
Press 3 x 5 x 22.5kg
Clean 3 x 5 x 35kg
Chin-ups (Neutral grip) 2 x 5, 1 x 6 (not quite) x bodyweight

*All of the weights I have been posting do not include the bar (no idea how much it weighs).

Today the gym monitor came over after my squat set and told me I was going down too far and that I was going to injure myself. This particular monitor has been very helpful in the past, he really makes an effort to help me out, so once again, I don't know what/who to believe. All the Rippetoe stuff (and Wannabebig Forum members!!) says ass to the grass. My monitor says I'm taking a risk of injuring my knees. I mentioned last post that my knees were starting to bother me a bit; now I'm concerned that he may be right. I may be going back to a 90-degree angle squat instead of all the way down.

Power clean seemed a bit forced today, I may be trying to lift too much. My lower left back has been buzzing (not pain, but something) since the workout about an hour and a half ago, probably from jerking incorrectly on the power clean.

Going on vacation for 2 weeks starting next Sunday, do not want to injure myself right before the trip!

Unholy
11-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I would not stress going too low on suqats!

Going ass to grass is not going to put you in more risk of injury than going to parallel.

I just hope your form is good, thats where injury scares me, during improper form.

full of sand
11-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Friday the 13th of November

Squat 3 x 5 x 45kg
Bench 3 x 5 x 45kg
Deadlift 3 x 5 x 55kg <-oops supposed to do 1x5
Dips 3 x 10 x bodyweight

In my gym you have to pay 50 cents to weigh yourself so i only do it once a week. The machine prints out a little ticket with your height, weight, bmi, and other stuff. I think it's broken though, it says i'm 4'2". Hopefully the at least the weight is accurate. I stick the tickets on my wall to keep track of my progress.

My plan is to add 5kg per session to the squat, deadlift, and row, and 2.5kg per session to the bench and standing press. Due to my slow progress in the past few months, I have doubts, so maybe I should think in terms of weeks instead of sessions.

Today those weights seemed pretty heavy. I think my short-term goal is going to be the 500-lb club and then we'll go from there.

The dips are not getting any easier although I've been doing them for 3 months now. Every time I arrive at that 10th one, I feel like my arms are about to pop off. A weird thing too, dips always produce a really weird tingling sensation in my left shoulder. It doesn't hurt, but it's like when you tap your funny bone and get prickly tingles all through your arm. It's always done that, so I guess everything's ok, just nerves getting pinched or something(?).

I tried a new grip on the deadlift, where you put your fingers over your thumbs, cause I read it was better, but I couldn't get my fingers all the way around the bar and my thumbs too, so I went back to a normal grip.

5kg per session on a lift? That's way way too much, no mopre of an increase than five lb.s per session. The reason is, styarting out, your muscles can grow too fast for your tendons to keep up, so you canj get hurt in the long run to the point of all ittyness

full of sand
11-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Sunday, 22 November 2009

Squat 3 x 5 x 60kg
Press 3 x 5 x 22.5kg
Clean 3 x 5 x 35kg
Chin-ups (Neutral grip) 2 x 5, 1 x 6 (not quite) x bodyweight

*All of the weights I have been posting do not include the bar (no idea how much it weighs).

Today the gym monitor came over after my squat set and told me I was going down too far and that I was going to injure myself. This particular monitor has been very helpful in the past, he really makes an effort to help me out, so once again, I don't know what/who to believe. All the Rippetoe stuff (and Wannabebig Forum members!!) says ass to the grass. My monitor says I'm taking a risk of injuring my knees. I mentioned last post that my knees were starting to bother me a bit; now I'm concerned that he may be right. I may be going back to a 90-degree angle squat instead of all the way down.

Power clean seemed a bit forced today, I may be trying to lift too much. My lower left back has been buzzing (not pain, but something) since the workout about an hour and a half ago, probably from jerking incorrectly on the power clean.

Going on vacation for 2 weeks starting next Sunday, do not want to injure myself right before the trip!

your injury chances consdiering how low you go are directly related to how much weight you can do. You never wanna go past 90 with weight that isn't fairly easy, unless you really know what you're doing.

AndrewMadrid
11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them.

About the upping the weight 5kg per session, I agree, I'm gonna up it more slowly.

Today my back and knees are aching, and not in a good way. Going to bed early tonight.

AndrewMadrid
11-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Skipped gym today to sleep a couple of extra hours. Back still uncomfortable. Will give it another shot tomorrow.

AndrewMadrid
11-25-2009, 04:01 PM
25 November 2009

Squat 3 x 5 x 60kg
Bench 3 x 5 x 50kg
Deadlift 1 x 5 x 70kg
Dips 2 x 5, 1 x 8 x bodyweight + ankleweights (5-10lbs?)

I didn't up my squat any from last time but I had no problems. I'll up it 5 kilos on Friday.
Bench was very good, probably could have done a bit more weight.
Deadlift, I upped it to 70kg and no problems here either. Felt good, I'm learning to pull harder.
I'm happy to be putting weights on the dips, hopefully it will stimulate my puny arms to grow some.

Back seems to have a sensitive spot between two vertebrae, don't know if i stressed it the other day or what. Didn't bother me during the workout though, and feels ok unless i press on that one spot, that hurts a bit.

After the workout I went to the stretching room and grabbed a bar a practiced a few weightless power cleans in front of the mirror. I think one major fault I realized was that I wasn't trying to get under the bar before, instead I was trying to yank it all the way up to the height of my shoulders. No wonder my back's not happy. After I watched myself do it a few times, I figured out how to bend my knees after the jump to get down under the bar while keeping the bar in a straight upward path. It felt much better and looked better too.

Well my last day at this gym will be Friday and then Sunday I'm off to Egypt for 2 weeks! Wish me a safe and fun trip, I've wanted to see the pyramids my whole life and finally I'm doing it.

Clover
11-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Where you touch the bar on bench press seems fine. He probably doesn't tuck his elbows when he benchs which means he doesn't know how to bench. Keep doing what you're doing and you won't mess up your shoulders.

Youtube Dave Tate bench press if you want to see exactly how to bench.

Good luck.

Off Road
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Good work...and have fun on the Egypt trip...post pictures when you get back.

AndrewMadrid
01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Two months after my last post, finally back into the swing of things.

The Egypt trip was amazing, I'm attaching a picture of me at the pyramids, I would recommend this vacation to anyone. I felt completely safe (millions of tourists everywhere) and the sights are simply magnificent.

Unfortunately for me lots of traveling meant less eating than normal, so in the end I lost around 6 pounds during the month of December, a real downer considering it took me forever to gain them in the first place.

Got back in the gym at the beginning of January and after a couple weeks I am back up where I was at the end of November, ready to start pushing up those numbers.

Thursday 1/28

Squat: 65 (145 lbs)*
Bench: 50 (110 lbs)*
Deadlift: 70 (155 lbs)*
Chinups (neutral grip): 3 x Bodyweight x 7
*not including bar

Plan is to increase Squat and Deadlift 5Kg and Bench 2.5Kg every two sessions.

Short-term/Long term Goals: I'm not sure how to go about setting these. In terms of body weight, the short term goal is 160 and the long term is 180. I was only 2.5 lbs shy of hitting 160 when I went on vacation, so I'm hoping that within a month I can hit that. To progress after that point, I don't know if I will need to change anything or just keep plugging away at Starting Strength and eating 3000 calories a day. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Glad to be back here.

AndrewMadrid
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Monday Feb 1st

Body Weight: 69.8kg

Squat 70kg x 5 x 3
Press 22.5kg x 5 x 3
Rows 35kg x 5 x 3
Chin-ups 20 total, sets of 3, 2, or 1 with 15-30 seconds of rest in between.

Abandoning the power clean for now because it's just not feasible at my gym. Switching to rows.
Taking advantage of the article posted about leaving lat pulldown land and looking to up my chin-up sets into the double digits. Never been able to do more than 6 at a time.

Am I huge yet? :)

Unholy
02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Nice Egypt pic.

I spent a week in Sharm El Sheik on the Red Sea in August. It was my second time there.

How was the Hashish?

AndrewMadrid
02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Unholy that's funny because it was my first time to a Muslim country and I was terrified of incredibly strict laws and having my hand cut off or being kidnapped, so when we boarded a felucca for 2 days to sail up the Nile and the guide referred to our captain as "Captain Weed", I flipped out. Got stoned with him (green, not hash) and it was fun :) I am definitely ready to go back!

Thursday, February 4th

Squat: 70kg x 5 x 3
Bench: 52.5kg x 5 x 3
Deadlift: 80kg x 5 x 1
Chin-ups (neutral grip): body weight x 2 x 10 (30 secs rest between sets).

Hey, I'm happy because if I add 10kg to each weight for the bar, and then convert to lbs, that's 176+138+198=512 lbs! I'm in the 500-pound club, haha!

Pull-ups are coming along. I'm looking forward to being able to hit the double-digits.

I'm starting to really feel all my anger and frustrations from my life pouring out into my lifts, which is awesome. Today I've been a bit upset over some things, but I put it all into the bar and made that ****ing weight my bitch, lol. Felt good!

Unholy
02-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Haha my friend and I made friends with the Lifeguards at the resort.

We ended up cheefing with them on a daily basis.

I can't wait to go back!

AndrewMadrid
02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
--- Changes to forum have made it very difficult to navigate!!! Does not fit on my screen!!! ---

8 Feb 2010

Squat: 70kg
OH Press: 25kg
Chin ups (neutral grip): bodyweight x 2 x 11 w/30 sec rest between each set of 2
Rows: 25kg

Chinups getting easier. Feeling stronger. Wish I was getting bigger to go with it! Tiny bit by tiny bit...

AndrewMadrid
02-12-2010, 12:09 PM
12 Feb 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 72.5kg
Bench: 1 x 2 x 52.5kg, 1 x 5 x 50kg, 2 x 3 x 50kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 85 kg
Pullups: (neutral grip) 10 x 2 x bodyweight, 30 sec rest between sets.

Today's lesson: Do not expect to have a great workout if you come to the gym with a hangover. Upper body suffered the most, losing 2.5kg on the bench. Also, only been coming to the gym 2 days a week for the past 3 weeks. Why? Laziness. Poor time management. Loss of motivation. I still haven't learned how to balance the different part of my life: fun and work, for example.

Bit disgusted at myself. Better do something about it.

AndrewMadrid
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Monday, February 15, 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 72.5kg
Overhead Press: 3 x 5 x 25kg
Pendlay Rows: 3 x 5 x 35kg
Chinup (neutral grip) 10 x 2 x bodyweight, 30 seconds rest between each set.

Getting stronger! After that last disasterous session, i'm happy with today. Not sure how to progress further on the chinups, better read the article again.

AndrewMadrid
02-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 75kg
Bench: 2 x 5, 1 x 4 x 52.5kg (didn't want to attempt that last rep w/o a spot)
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 85kg
No time for chin-ups

Feel like a beast lifting those 85kgs on the deadlift. I can feel every muscle in my body screaming for mercy.

Whole body is feeling tighter, but mass seems to be taking its sweet time. I've weighed pretty much the same for the past 6 months...

AndrewMadrid
02-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Sunday, Feb 21

Squat: 3 x 5 x 75 Kg
Standing military press: 3 x 5 x 27.5 Kg
Pendlay rows: 3 x 5 x 40 Kg
Chin-ups (neutral grip): 25 reps at body weight with 15 secs of rest in between. Next time I'll add 1 Kg.

I should have gone to the gym on Friday but crappy weather and sleepiness discouraged me. There's dedication for ya. The good thing about Sunday is that I can talk to my favorite gym monitor, who only works weekends. He's very cool, not a know-it-all prickface like the other ones.

Did you know that a kilogram is the weight of one liter of water? I love the metric system!

AndrewMadrid
02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Squat: 77.5 Kg
Bench: 52.5 Kg
Deadlift: 87.5 Kg
Chin-ups (neutral grip): 25 x 1 x body weight + 1.25 Kg, 15 seconds rest between each rep.

Today I felt awesome and had an outstanding workout. All weights are moving up.

Been feeling some discomfort in my feet and left hamstring during the squat, doesn't seem like anything serious but just wanted to mention it. I'm only going down till my thighs are parallel to the floor, then back up. Stopped doing the 'ass to the grass' thing a while ago.

Got an excellent spot for the bench, very motivating without that patronizing tone of voice I sometimes come across. I'm sensitive to that ****. Struggled a bit with fluidity of motion, and I think I'm gonna keep the same weight for one more session before moving it up a notch.

Deadlift not giving me any trouble. Biggest hassle is getting the weights on and off.

Chin-ups coming along as well. Since I was able to do 25 single reps last time, I stuck a little 1.25 Kg weight in my pocket for my set today. With only 15 seconds rest in between each one, I didn't expect to make it to 25. Wrong! Busted right through those mother****ers. I actually did 26 just to make sure I didn't miss one.

I went to the sporting goods store the other day and was looking at bars, and apparently the olympic standard is a 20kg bar. Unfortunately I don't know if the bars in our gym are that big or not. I'm going with an guess of 10 Kg, I'd rather under- than over-estimate. That would mean:

Squat: 77.5 + 10 (bar) = 87.5 Kg = 193 lbs
Bench 52.5 + 10 (bar) = 62.5 Kg = 138 lbs
DLift 87.5 + 10 (bar) = 97.5 Kg = 215 lbs

I love looking at those numbers.

AndrewMadrid
02-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Thursday, 25 February 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 77.5 kg
Press: 2 x 5, 1 x 4 x 27.5 kg
Rows: 3 x 5 x 40 kg
Chin-ups (neutral grip): 25 x 1 x body weight + 2.5 kg

Don't know what happened, didn't feel as strong today, and couldn't finish the last set of presses. Burned up those chin-ups, though.
Next session going for 80kg squat. That will be cool.

AndrewMadrid
03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
March 1, 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 80 Kg
Bench Press: 3 x 5 x 52.5 Kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 90 Kg
Chin-ups (neutral grip): 12 x 2, 1 x 1 x body weight + ankle weights (~2 Kg)

Well, despite having gone out the night before and smoked a number of cigarettes, I still was able to lift some weights in the gym. Upped my squat and it was tough; the last one of each set I was pushing hard and moving slowly.

Bench I did without a spot and was fine but I realize I should ALWAYS have at least someone watching me just in case. I am pushing too much weight to be risking it alone.

Deadlift was up another 2.5 Kg, feeling good. With the bar that's over 100 Kg, which is over 220 lbs, and I am impressed with myself :)

Chin-ups still coming along. I did sets of 2 reps instead of 1 and still got to 25 without failure (well, I got to 24 then I did the final rep holding it as long as possible when I got over the bar and then letting myself down as slowly as possible). I've been doing them for a month now so tomorrow I might see how many I can do at once...just because I'm impatient and want results results results...

I feel like I am really starting to approach my physical limits with these weights, and after a workout like this I can feel my body responding the next day. Like a buzzing feeling throughout my whole body. I should be eating more, as always. I just haven't worked out how to get food in me every couple of hours with my schedule.

And I need a massage! Traps are tight as hell.

There is a boy in my gym who i'd guess is around 20 and he can lift a ridiculous amount of weight and has the body to prove it. Kind of gives me an idea how much weight I'm going to need to be able to lift in order to look like him. I wonder what he eats...

Gotta keep on workin' ...

AndrewMadrid
03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
2010 | March 3 | Wednesday

Squat: 3 x 5 x 80
Press: 2 x 5, 1 x 3 x 27.5
Chin-ups (neutral grip): 1 x 8, 1 x 5, 1 x 4 x bodyweight

Didn't have time for rows, was in a bit of a rush. Lost again on shoulder press, not sure what's going on here. Was able to do 3 x 5 a couple weeks ago.

AndrewMadrid
03-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Monday, 15 March 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 80 kg
Bench: 3 x 5 x 50 kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 90 kg
Chin-ups (Neutral grip): 3 x 5 x body weight + ankle weights

Ok, so I haven't been eating enough. Like, nowhere near enough. Around 2000 calories a day. Why? Because I'm cheap, and lazy.
I was out for a week because I was ill with some kind of stomach bug.
My upper body continues to struggle.
I am going to have to change my daily lifestyle completely to be able to meet my goals.
Man I'm sore.

Mick Manley
03-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Monday, 15 March 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 80 kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 90 kg
Chin-ups (Neutral grip): 3 x 5 x body weight + ankle weights

Ok, so I haven't been eating enough. Like, nowhere near enough. Around 2000 calories a day. Why? Because I'm cheap, and lazy.
I was out for a week because I was ill with some kind of stomach bug.
My upper body continues to struggle.
I am going to have to change my daily lifestyle completely to be able to meet my goals.
Man I'm sore.

you get out what you put in. If it makes you feel any better we have 15 yr old girls who lift more :moon: That should be some motivation to eat more and train harder.

AndrewMadrid
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
If it makes you feel any better we have 15 yr old girls who lift more...

Lol...thanks for the support! I bet those girls have someone at home to cook for them though... :)

Mick Manley
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Lol...thanks for the support! I bet those girls have someone at home to cook for them though... :)

ya but i dont, n i make it through the day!

AndrewMadrid
03-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Saturday, March 20, 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 70 kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 92.5 kg
Chinups (Neutral grip): 3 x 5 x bw + 5 kg

Took 10 kg off my squat to try to improve my form a bit. I'd been having this problem of my knees moving towards each other as I started coming up out of my squats, which didn't seem too good to me. I did a bit of Youtubing and it seems like my stance for the squat has not been wide enough. Rippetoe's method has the feet spread quite a bit further out than I've been doing. Tried the wider stance today and suddenly squat felt harder than before, requiring more involvement of the inner thigh muscles.

Kept the bench press at 50 today because I didn't have anyone to spot me. Worked on keeping everything tight and stable while trying to improve speed.

I've started to do 3 x 5's with the chinups instead of the former 1 x 25 with 10 seconds rest for no other reason than variation.

Weight is up a couple pounds from last month (70.7 kg), want to keep going in that direction.

AndrewMadrid
04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Today I bought a 12 lb bag of Optimum Nutrition "Serious Mass" which sports a whopping 1250 calories per serving. I also joined a new gym with better facilities, where I will start tomorrow. Let's see if I can hit 160 before June.

AndrewMadrid
04-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Thursday, April 8, 2010

First Day in a New Gym

Well this gym is better than the former but they have no place for me to do standing military presses so I tried doing them with dumbbells instead. They have a 'power cage' i think it's called which will be good for squats. So it was a bit of a toss-up but I think things will be better here. I kind of walked around today a little lost not knowing where everything was but figured it out after a while.
This Serious Mass stuff I bought is like speed, I don't know what it was but after taking it I feel my heart beating faster and I feel super nervous. What the hell does this stuff have in it?

Squats: 3 x 5 x 60 kg (this bar is different from the old ones, i'm guessing it weighs more because 60 kg felt more like 70)
Shoulder presses: 3 x 5 x 12.5kg dumbells
Pendlay rows: 3 x 5 x 20 kg
Pull ups (palms facing me): 3 x 5 x bodyweight

AndrewMadrid
04-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Sunday, 11 April, 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 60 kg
Bench: 3 x 5 x 40 kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 80 kg
Chin ups (palms facing me): 3 x 12 x bodyweight - 55 kg (machine-assisted)

AndrewMadrid
04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Wednesday April 15 2010

Squats: 3 x 5 x 60 kg
Standing shoulder press: 3 x 5 x 12.5 kg dumbells
Dips: 2 x 5, 1 x 8 x bodyweight + 5 kg
Chin-ups (machine): 3 x 10 x bodyweight - 50 kg

AndrewMadrid
04-17-2010, 10:53 AM
A guy in the gym told me that the bars weigh 20 kg, so I'm gonna add that in to my weights.

Friday april 17th

Squat: 2 x 5, 1 x 6 x 80 kg
Dumbbell incline press: 1 x 8 x 12.5 kg, 1 x 8 x 15 kg, 1 x 8 x 17.5 kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 100 kg
Chinups: 3 x 6 x bodyweight

AndrewMadrid
04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Monday April 19 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 80 kg - working on making my form pretty
Standing dumbbell shoulder press: 3 x 5 x 12.5 kg - need to improve control, dumbbells going everywhere
Pendlay rows: 3 x 5 x 50 kg - can do more
Dips: 3 x 8 x bodyweight + 5 kg
Chin-ups: 3 x 6 x bodyweight (missed the last rep)

As I am constantly reading I continue to come across conflicting information. The latest thing is that 5 pounds of lean muscle a year is all I can realistically hope to gain, and that's working out with intensity, consistency, and with proper diet. So...that big dream of hitting 175 lean is 4-5 years away? ****, I knew I should have started earlier.

AndrewMadrid
04-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Wednesday April 21

All right, I asked the gym monitor how much the bar weighs, and he said there's no way it weighs 20kg, he said somewhere between 10-15 at most. What baffles me is that NOBODY knows exactly how much the ****ing bar weighs, what the ****??? So I'm cutting the bar back out of my numbers here, just putting the weights.

Squat: 3 x 5 x 62.5 kg
Bench: 3 x 5 x 40 kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 82.5 kg
Chin-ups: 2 x 6, 1 x 7 x bodyweight

AndrewMadrid
04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Friday April 23

Squat: 3 x 5 x 65 kg
Press: 3 x 5 x 20 kg (shorter bar)
Rows: 3 x 5 x 17.5 kg
Dips: 2 x 8, 1 x 10 x bodyweight + 5 kg
Chinups: 3 x 10 x bodyweight - 45 kg (machine)

Knees all over the place on the squat, moving in and out like doing the Charleston. I don't know how to get them to stay still.

AndrewMadrid
04-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Monday, April 26, 2010

Squat: 3 x 5 x 67.5kg
Bench: 3 x 5 x 42.5kg
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 85kg
Dips: 2 x 6, 1 x 8 x bodyweight + 7.5kg
Chin-ups: 1 x 6, 1 x 7, 1 x 5 bodyweight

AndrewMadrid
05-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Friday, April 30

Squat: 70 kg
Press (short bar): 22.5 kg
Rows: 32.5 kg
Dips: 3 x 6 x bodyweight + 7.25 kg
Chinups: 7 reps, 6 reps, 5 reps

Sunday, May 2

Squat: 3 x 5 x 72.5 kg
Dumbbell Incline press: 3 x 5 x 20 kg dumbbells
Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 85 kg
Dips: 3 x 6 x bodyweight + 10 kg
Chinups: 7, 5, 5

AndrewMadrid
05-06-2010, 07:23 AM
wednesday 5th may

squat: 3 x 5 x 75kg
press (short bar): 3 x 5 x 25kg
rows (short bar): 3 x 5 x 35kg
Dips: 3 x 6 x bw + 10 kg
chin-ups (machine): 3 x 12 x bw - 40 kg

squats getting difficult. last rep very slow, veins popping out of my neck, teeth clenched. bar tilting to one side and knees moving from outside to inside as i come up. I'm going to get someone to watch me squat when i go home this summer and see if i can get some answers.

AndrewMadrid
05-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Friday 7 May

Squats: 3 x 5 x 75 kg
Bench: 3 x 5 x 47.5 kg
Deadlift: 3 x 5 x 90 kg
Dips: 3 x 6 x bw + 10kg
Chinups: 8, 3, 4, 7 x bw

AndrewMadrid
05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Well, I read an article the other day from Rippetoe which basically confirmed what I've known all along: I'm not doing the Starting Strength program.
This comes as little surprise, seeing as how I've not bought the book and have based all my knowledge on secondhand internet sources. But that's ok. I like the exercises that I'm doing and now that I feel even more alone than before in my lifting, I'll be freer to vary my workouts a bit. I've been trying dumbbell presses in place of benching on days where I have no spot, and I'd like to put more emphasis on my upper body exercises like dips and chin-ups. I'm close enough to being able to do 10 chinups in a row that I can nearly taste it, and in fact I may be able to do it now if only I could concentrate hard enough.
The issue of concentration is something I have really taken notice of since I started weightlifting almost a year ago. One of the most potent examples I can think of occurred last week when I was doing chinups. I did 8 the first set, but 3 into the second set, I completely lost concentration/motivation and had to stop. It was amazing to me that once my mind told me that it was over, it really was over, and it was like the strength was completely drained from my body. In a later set, I did 7 without even thinking.
This seems to outline one of my primary problems: thinking too much. If only there was a way for me to take my thoughts to another place during my sets instead of focusing on how heavy the weight is, how difficult the lift is, how I'm getting close to failure, how I've never tried to lift this much before; literally my mind is desperately scrambling for reasons to convince me to stop, and more often than not, I listen.
An overactive imagination is fine, but I feel that mine is constantly working against me. It's not about the weight at all; it's about overcoming the seemingly unbeatable desire to quit when the going gets tough. I've always been a person to perceive my personal limits and to stay within them instead of trying to go beyond. I've always accepted that all I can do is all I can do, and I can't do any more. The only times I have been able to supersede those boundaries have been when I was thinking about something else.
My first reaction is to call myself lazy. I understand that pushing myself is hard and it's easier to come up with excuses, but I'm not convinced that I'm just lazy. Even that is too easy, and I think there's a deeper reason, possibly fear of failure, or fear of something. Also there is the desire to do something perfectly, and once I imagine everything that has to be done in order to do something perfectly, I lose motivation because I am able to conceptualize the mountain of work required to achieve the goal.
So. Gotta work on that.

Tuesday, 5/11

Press (short bar): 3 x 5 x 30 kg
Pendlays (short bar): 3 x 5 x 40 kg
Squat: 3 x 6 x 60 kg
Dips: 1 x 8, slowly

Left shoulder hates dips, it stings and twinges and pops and pinches and I have no idea why because the right one has no problems whatsoever. I did the dips as slowly as possible, something I am trying lately instead of just trying to do more.
Did the squats at the end of the workout because it was being used and I realized what a big difference this made, I was tired from the previous exercises and 60 kg felt like 100.

AndrewMadrid
05-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Thursday May 13th

Been jogging to and from the gym (5-10 minutes) for warm-up and cool-down lately.

Incline dumbbell presses: 10 x 15kg, 8 x 17.5kg, 6 x 20kg, 2 x 6 x 22.5kg
Seemed like the weakest link here was my forearms, really got tired holding on to the weights, upper arms and chest were fine.
Slow dips: 3 x 6 x bw
Did these by descending slowly (6-8 seconds), then pushing up as quickly as I could.
Chin-ups: Did 4-5 with neutral grip, descending slowly, then exploding upward. Next, used the machine to take 30kg off my bodyweight, did 10, then knocked it down to -25kg, 10 more, then -20kg, and 10 more. I'm gonna get to three sets of 10 chinups at bodyweight soon.
Pushups: 20, rest, then 6 as slowly as possible.

AndrewMadrid
05-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Monday 17 May

Squat: 6 x 70kg
Deadlift: 6 x 80kg
Calves: 3 x 15 x bw
Biceps: 6 x 10kg

AndrewMadrid
05-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Wednesday 19 May

Pull-ups: 6 x bodyweight
Pendlay Rows: 6 x 40kg
Military Press: 6+2+2 x 37.5kg
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press: 6+2+2 x 22.5kg
Dips: 6+2+2 x bw + 7.5 kg

chevelle2291
05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Here's the full write-up on Starting Strength if you're interested: linky (http://www.scribd.com/doc/2668412/Rippetoes-Starting-Strength-FAQ)

I'd also check out this site: http://stronglifts.com/
-there's LOTS of good information on proper form (keeping your knees from moving inward when squatting, etc.)

I'm not sure what your final BW goals and muscle mass goals are, but I looked through your journal briefly and if you want to look jacked, you're going to have to really start dedicating yourself. That's gonna mean significant diet changes (little or no alcohol, no more crap food, lots (lots!) of clean sources like lean meat, vegetables, whole grain bread, etc.), plenty of rest (sleep!), etc. I'd also recommend tracking your calories and macronutrients (grams from protein, carb, fat) on a program like Fitday (google fitday) or Livestrong's Myplate. Those help a ton with making sure you are getting enough food and protein in.

For achy joints, try picking up some glucosamine pills at your local pharmacy. Fish oil would probably help, too. Make sure you're warming up properly also. It doesn't hurt to do some dynamic stretching and some BW squats before you start doing your squatting work sets.

I read your last couple of posts also. If you wanna succeed in BB and weightlifting you're gonna have to get the fear of failure past you. Work outside your limits, don't just stay in a comfortable weight range forever, you'll never grow. You need to be pushing for more weights or reps (with good form!) with each session. You also need to go in entirely focused on the task at hand, which is lifting weights. Put your headphones in and don't talk to anybody (within reason, don't be a jerk). Just focus on psyching yourself for lifting some heavy ****.

I'd also take it easy on all the supplements. ON's mass gainer that you bought is okay if it looks like you aren't going to hit your calorie goal for the day, but don't rely on it. That crap is expensive as hell and you're better off buying whole food instead. If I were you I'd stick to some sort of whey protein, fish oil, glucosamine, and maybe creatine farther down the line. A little gatorade probably wouldn't hurt during workouts either if you're having trouble with energy levels during your workouts.

Keep at it Andrew. Whatever your current goals are, they are easily attainable if you are consistent and dedicated. If you need some motivation, take a look at F=MA's journal or Behemoth's journal. Those guys look sick (in a good way :clown:) and it's because they are super dedicated to achieving the best possible physique they naturally can.

Wish you luck, man. You'll get there. :thumbup;

AndrewMadrid
05-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks for your post, I really, really appreciate it.

I'll have a look at those links. I've seen a lot of conflicting information about gaining muscle + fat quickly as opposed to gaining only muscle slowly.

21 May 2010

Squat 80kg
Deadlift 80kg
Calf raises 70kg
Biceps 10kg

chevelle2291
05-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your post, I really, really appreciate it.

I'll have a look at those links. I've seen a lot of conflicting information about gaining muscle + fat quickly as opposed to gaining only muscle slowly.

21 May 2010

Squat 80kg
Deadlift 80kg
Calf raises 70kg
Biceps 10kg

That's what happens to a lot of people on here. If you take a look at a thread that was in the members pics and vids section titled something like "let's see your bulks" or something like that, you'll find a couple of well done bulks (read: only a little bit of fat gain) and many failbulks (lots of fat gain, little muscle gain.) To limit your fat gains, you're going to half to gain weight slowly (slowly!) and eat clean. Usually I think a pound (usually max) to half a pound (average) of lean mass gain (not only muscle, but also water, glycogen, etc.), is the limit for a proper bulk. I'm actually taking it even easier than that. I want to gain 10 lbs of mostly lean mass by sep. 15, so I should have plenty of time to make sure I gain lean mass only (mostly).

If you have any questions you can just PM me or post in my journal. I'm by no means an expert, but I know a little bit about nutrition and training, even if my numbers suck :cry:.

Good luck Andrew.

AndrewMadrid
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all your support, nice to know I'm not alone here.

Tuesday May 25th

(All sets end with 6+2+2 reps per HCT article)

Chinups bw + 1.25kg
Rows 50kg machine
Dumbbell bench 25kg
Tricep extensions

Forgot to do my vertical pressing exercise, i.e., military press, oops. Next time.

chevelle2291
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all your support, nice to know I'm not alone here.

Tuesday May 25th

(All sets end with 6+2+2 reps per HCT article)

Chinups bw + 1.25kg
Rows 50kg machine
Dumbbell bench 25kg
Tricep extensions

Forgot to do my vertical pressing exercise, i.e., military press, oops. Next time.

It might help to write your workout beforehand in your phone or something so you know exactly what weights and what exercises to hit each time. Have you dropped Starting Strength in favor of HCT-12??

AndrewMadrid
05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
I haven't dropped starting strength, according to this article (http://startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf), I never was doing it in the first place.

I'm trying the Wannabebig HCT-12 program right now for a change. It's basically all the exercises I was doing before, just in a different order and with different rep numbers. Plus I loved the addition of bicep/tricep work.

Right now I am unable to focus on weightlifting. I have some major life decisions I've been putting off that I have to make, I'm travelling from Madrid back to my hometown in Kentucky in June to spend the summer, and I've got to get my ***** together. My gym membership will expire June 7th so from that point until I'm able to get to a gym in July back home I'll just have to do pushups and pullups in my local playground.

So, long story short, when I am more settled and can begin Starting Strength again with the necessary dedication, I will do it. My whole life is in upheaval right now and I just can't.

AndrewMadrid
05-31-2010, 06:15 PM
May 31 2010

Squat: 60 kg
Deadlift: 90 kg
Calves: One-legged on a step, 2 x 15
Biceps: 10 kg

Went all the way down on my squats, harder.

AndrewMadrid
06-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Ran about 3 miles tonight. Gym tomorrow morning.

AndrewMadrid
06-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Ran on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday; Wednesday nothing, then ran a bit tonight and did some pull-ups, one-legged squats and calf raises in an outdoor workout area in the park. Previous entry says 'gym tomorrow morning' but I didn't go.

Tomorrow morning I will go!!!

AndrewMadrid
06-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Friday, June 12, 2010

Standing Shoulder Press (Barbell): 40kg
Flat Bench Press: 55 kg
Dips: 10, 8, 6 x bodyweight, 6 x bw + 5kg, 4 x bw + 5 kg
Machine Rows: 50 kg
Chin-ups: 6 x bodyweight

Followed by a night out of pizza, 4 beers and 1 rum & sprite...bit hung over this morning...

Mark!
06-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Sup buddy. What are your end goals as far as BW and lifts? Take a journal with you to the gym, write out everything you're going to do before, and check it off as you go, write notes out, etc. My journal is nasty, blood, sweat, supps all over it, but people know I'm serious, I know I'm serious. Keep at it, find a routine and run it out. You're definitely not alone here, no worries.

AndrewMadrid
06-23-2010, 11:26 AM
June 23 2010 - Location: Kentucky

I'm back home for a couple of months this summer. Now I can really concentrate on my diet and my workouts. Here's looking to have a solid two months of serious work.

Also, I'm just about a week away for my 1 year anniversary of taking my fitness into my own hands. I started going to the gym a year ago and since then I've gained 15 lbs of mostly lean mass. Everyone says I look better than they have ever seen me, and that is really motivating.

Squats: 185 lbs
Deadlift: 225 lbs
Calves (sitting): 90 lbs
Barbell curl: 65 lbs
Abs: Hanging leg raises

I'm going to try to drop the carbs as much as possible and hopefully get rid of this little pudge around my midsection. If I can do that I will be really happy with myself.

As far as long term goals, well my goal last year was 160 and I have achieved that, so this year my new goal is a lean 170, keeping off the extra fat. Long term I would like to weigh 200, but it's possible that when i reach 180 or 190 I'll be satisfied. I would like to be fahking ripped, how much ever I weigh at that point will be coincidental.

AndrewMadrid
06-25-2010, 11:29 PM
I had a bit of a sore throat yesterday and it's not any better today. I went to the gym but after a couple sets i decided it would be better to go home and wait until I was fully recovered before hitting the weights hard again.

Chin ups: bw + 12.5 lbs
Rows: 130 lbs

AndrewMadrid
06-26-2010, 07:14 PM
June 26

Shoulder press: 75 lbs
Dumbbell bench: 55 lbs
Skull crushers: 30 lbs ( + EZ-bar)

20 minutes on elliptical trainer

AndrewMadrid
06-29-2010, 10:19 PM
June 27

Squats: 205 lbs
Deadlift: 230 lbs
Calves
Abs
Biceps: 30 lb dumbbells

June 29:

Chin-ups: 10, 7, 4
Bench: 135 lbs
Shoulders: 15 lb dumbbells (barbell was really hurting my left shoulder)
Triceps: 25 lb dumbbell skull crushers
Rows: 120 lbs rowing machine

AndrewMadrid
07-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Tuesday July 6

Pull-ups: 10, 6, 5
Machine Rows: 140 lbs
Shoulder press: 80 lbs
Bench Press: 145 lbs
Skull Crushers: 50 lbs
Dips

AndrewMadrid
07-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Wednesday July 07

40 minutes moderate cardio on the cross-trainer

Thursday July 08

Squats: 195lbs
Deadlift: 235lbs
Calves: bodyweight - one at a time
Abs: Hanging leg raises
Barbell Curls: 65lbs

AndrewMadrid
07-14-2010, 03:02 AM
Saturday July 10

Chinups: 6 overhand (curved bar), 6 underhand, 6 overhand (straight bar)
Rows: 120 lbs
Shoulder press: 40 lb dumbbells
Flat bench: 55 lb dumbbells
Triceps: Skullcrushers 25 lb dumbbells, rope pushdowns, dips

Monday July 12

Squats: 210 lbs
Deadlift: 240 lbs
Calves: sets of 15 one at a time
Biceps: 40 lb dumbbells hammer curls
Abs: hanging knee raises

I want to squat 225 for 6 reps!!! Grrr!!!!!

AndrewMadrid
07-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Wednesday July 14th

6 pullups, 6 chinups, 8 pullups
machine row: 120 lbs
shoulder press: 40 lb dumbbells
bench press: 60 lb dumbbells
triceps: close-grip bench press 90 lbs 6 reps, push-downs 140 lbs, 8 super-slow dips
23 mins cardio on the elliptical

AndrewMadrid
07-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Friday July 16

Squat 215 lbs x 6, 4, 2
Deadlift 250 lbs x 6, 2, 2
Sitting calf raises 80 lbs
Hammer curls 40 lbs
Hanging leg raises 10 x 2

AndrewMadrid
07-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Monday July 19th

Pullups: 6, 6, 7, 2, 2
Machine Rows: 122 lbs
Dumbbell Shoulder presses: 40 lbs
Bench press: 135 lbs
Tricep pushdowns: 140 lbs (minus weight of bar)

Today there was this guy in the gym who was absolutely ripped to shreds. He was talking to his friend about pursuing a career in wrestling, scripted wrestling he later explained to me. I asked him how long he had been working out, and he said about nine years. The dude was only 24!!! So he has been working out since he was 15?? God I was so envious of this dude. Basically, I later thought, this guy has been keeping his body fit ever since his body was ready to be trained. He has never been out of shape.

That just blew my mind. When I was his age, I was dreaming about having that kind of body. I mean, I'm still dreaming about it. And things are only going to get better for him. He said that in the next few years, as his metabolism slowed, he'd be able to really put on the kind of size you see on pro wrestlers.

So thinking about all that kind of got me down. Here I am, 30 years old, just getting started in this sh:t and after I've been at it for 9 years like this kid, instead of being 24, I'll be f:ckin forty. It's just f:cking depressing.

chevelle2291
07-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Monday July 19th

Pullups: 6, 6, 7, 2, 2
Machine Rows: 122 lbs
Dumbbell Shoulder presses: 40 lbs
Bench press: 135 lbs
Tricep pushdowns: 140 lbs (minus weight of bar)

Today there was this guy in the gym who was absolutely ripped to shreds. He was talking to his friend about pursuing a career in wrestling, scripted wrestling he later explained to me. I asked him how long he had been working out, and he said about nine years. The dude was only 24!!! So he has been working out since he was 15?? God I was so envious of this dude. Basically, I later thought, this guy has been keeping his body fit ever since his body was ready to be trained. He has never been out of shape.

That just blew my mind. When I was his age, I was dreaming about having that kind of body. I mean, I'm still dreaming about it. And things are only going to get better for him. He said that in the next few years, as his metabolism slowed, he'd be able to really put on the kind of size you see on pro wrestlers.

So thinking about all that kind of got me down. Here I am, 30 years old, just getting started in this sh:t and after I've been at it for 9 years like this kid, instead of being 24, I'll be f:ckin forty. It's just f:cking depressing.

Ronnie Coleman was in his 40s when he won his last Mr. Olympia competition. Say what you want, but even with the steroids that is quite a feat. There's no reason with some consistent training and a proper diet that you can't have a great body that you'll be happy with.

AndrewMadrid
07-25-2010, 02:05 AM
chevelle2291, I'll do my best to keep it going in that direction...

July 22

Squat 215 x 5 x 3
Deadlift 255 x 5 x 1
Sitting calf raises 45, 70, 80, 90 x 15
Biceps (hammer curls) 35 lb dumbbells 3 sets of 6 followed by empty barbell (45 lbs) reps to failure (about 8)
Abs Hanging leg raises, leg raises while holding myself up on dip bars (does this have a name?)

Saturday July 24
Pull-ups 10, 8, 6, 5 at bodyweight
Machine rows 90 lbs, 105, 120, 105, 105 x 6
Dumbbell shoulder press 20 lbs, 25, 30, 35, 35 x 6
Dumbbell chest press 40 lbs, 45, 50, 55, 55 x 6
Skull-crushers (EZ-bar) 5 lbs, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15 x 6, then one last set for a couple reps till failure to make me feel like i got a good workout.

There was a personal trainer in there this afternoon with an 18 year-old football player and I was paying very close attention to how he was coaching him with his deadlift. I would like to have a session with a professional to critique my form in all of my exercises but I've heard they're like $50 an hour or something ridiculous like that. Luxury of the rich, I suppose...

AndrewMadrid
07-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Monday July 26

Squat 225
Deadlift 265
Calves
Biceps: preacher curl EZ bar plus 50 lbs
Abs

AndrewMadrid
09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Thursday September 09 2010

Wow it's been a while since I've posted here. I've kept up my training, but just haven't been updating here. I'm back in Madrid so we're using kilograms again.
Weights do not include bar.

Sept 7
Pull-ups - body weight plus 10 kg
Machine rows - 55 kg
Military press - 25 kg
Bench press - 55 kg
Triceps extensions

Sept 9
Squat - 82.5 kg
Deadlift - 100 kg
Calf Machine (standing) - 95 kg
Preacher Curl - 30 kg