PDA

View Full Version : RAW PL gear suggestions

halfsquat
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Iím about to enter my 1st powerlifting meet in about 12 years and my 1st raw meet ever. Itís a USAPL meet. Iíve checked the USAPL rules and feel pretty comfortable with the requirements. Training is going pretty good so far. My squat and bench training is based on Westside but my DL is pretty much linear progression.

Iíve got about 4 weeks to go and I need to get a singlet and some knee sleeves. Iím thinking of getting both from APT. The knees sleeves are Rehband. Anyone have any recommendations or preferences for raw lifting gear? Any suggestions would be a great help! Thanks!

Athos
11-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I just did a USAPL meet and also lifted raw - most guys had Rehbands, as did I. I have no complaints about them at all. As for a singlet, it seemed that most guys had the Inzer singlet, which looks more like a wrestling singlet to me. I used the Titan singlet, which has a different cut and in my opinion, just looks better. However, since neither give you a damn bit of assistance/support, I suppose it's a matter of which style you like. Wrist wraps are allowed, I used the Inzer Iron Wraps and love them. Good luck with your first raw meet.

robchris
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Half,
cant go wrong w/ APT stuff... Esp. the wrist wraps. Rehbands are the way to go on knee sleeves. Kono- bands are good too for training.

thewicked
11-06-2009, 09:21 AM
APT is where it's at. I swear by that stuff!

Ryan Celli
11-06-2009, 09:33 AM
I use rehbands and I get them from APT.
APT also has awesome wrist wraps and singlets.
You won't be disappointed.

halfsquat
11-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback! APT it is!! I even found a 15% off promo code in PLUSA that I got with an ALN order last month.

Thanks again!

Cmanuel
11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Bringing this up from the dead since it concerns USAPL RAW....

I'm doing a USAPL meet next month and i'm confused as to what knee sleeves are legal in USAPL. Their website is useless... can anyone help? I currently own a pair of APT convict sleeves

Athos
11-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Knee sleeves are restricted to single ply, neoprene, "without attaching and/or tightening mechanisms like velcro, clips or straps". Don't ask for my interpretation of that, I just used my Rehbands because I knew they were safe.

blownby
11-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Yup...basically all that you can use is:

Rehband, Tommy Kono, or ace.......

Has to be single ply neoprene. Basically just keep your knee's warm. Since there really is no rebound/carryover. I just purchased the Tommy Kono opposed to Rehbnad as they are about 1/2 the price and definitly keep the knees warm.

Back to OP:

-Singlet: Pick your brand. Inzer fits my tall frame best.

-Wrist wraps: Inzer, APT, Titan. I have inzer Z wraps and prefer the 20". The 12" are to short and the 36" are too long & time consuming to wrap for me. And for my bench weight, the 20" provie plenty of support.

-Belt- I use and Inzer Lever -13mm. But whatever floats ur boat. Single or double pronge or lever. 13mm is max & no ratchet style

-Knee: Tommy Kono or Rehband

-Socks: Have to have knee high sock for DL. I usually use some soccer socks.

-Shoes: I bench in a pair of oly shoes , sqaut & deadlift in wrestling shoes. most just use wrestling or chucks for everyting. Agian its personal preference.

-No boxers shorts allowed under singlet. FYI!!

Cmanuel
11-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Can anyone link me to an official statement from USAPL regarding knee sleeves for raw lifting? All i could find online was a statement from 2008 regarding inzer wraps. I believe you guys my friend is just being an idiot and swears I can use my APT Convict sleeves

Oh and for Belt: When you refer to 13mm are you referring to the thickness of the belt?

blownby
11-13-2009, 09:36 AM
You used to be able to(assuming single ply)...after RAW nationals in July they changed the rule....let me look around!

Chris Rodgers
11-13-2009, 09:39 AM
From everything I have read you absolutely can't wear your convict sleeves.

Cmanuel
11-13-2009, 09:46 AM
You used to be able to...after RAW nationals in July they changed the rule....let me look around!

Hey man thanks, i really appreciate it. This will be my first full meet and i know USAPL has pretty unique rules for RAW lifters. I want to make sure I'm covering my bases so i dont look like a jackass.

Also, i didnt realize you had to have knee high socks for DL. I didnt see this anywhere on the USAPL website!!!

Here is what the website says for Raw lifting. This is revised as of January 2009
Raw/Unequipped lifting is defined as using only the following gear and accessories as previously described above:
(a) non-supportive singlet and shirt
(b) briefs
(c) socks
(d) belt
(e) shoes
(f) commercial wrist wraps
(g) knee sleeves

So damn vague. they really need to address this.

blownby
11-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah & brief don't = inzer squat briefs! More like tighty whites or boxer briefs! No regular boxer shorts. I have seen people made to take off bixers shorts at meet. Very rarley, but just don't want you to be the one!

blownby
11-13-2009, 11:03 AM
This will cover most of the technical rules as to what is a legal ,belt & shoes etc.....it is from Jan 09 so doesn't have the Knee sleeve update

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/lifterscorner/USAPLHandbook2.pdf

SELK
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
This is the funniest titled thread ive ever seen in this section, makes me laugh every time I see it.

That being said, ive been impressed with everything ive gotten from APT.

Cmanuel
11-13-2009, 12:44 PM
This will cover most of the technical rules as to what is a legal ,belt & shoes etc.....it is from Jan 09 so doesn't have the Knee sleeve update

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/lifterscorner/USAPLHandbook2.pdf

yeah thats the page i was referring to when i mentioned how vague the section on unequipped lifting is.

Athos
11-13-2009, 07:53 PM
I couldn't find what you are looking for last month when I was looking, the Jan 2009 info is the latest published, but the new info was released after the July NGB meeting and it was posted on PW 8/20/2009.

When I did a USAPL meet last month, I brought my Inzer sleeves along with my Rehbands just in case, I asked the meet director if they could be used and he said no, which was what I figured since I saw the info on PW in July, he confirmed the neoprene sleeves.

It's true about the socks for the deadlift, must be pulled up, but can't touch your knee sleeves (if you wear them). I just use some Adidas soccer ones. T-shirt under your singlet must conform as well, only approved logos are allowed, if i remember correctly. I just had a plain shirt, titan singlet, rehbands, belt, inzer wrist wraps and my chucks/wrestling shoes. No problems at all. Also one other thing, make sure you are deep on your squat, they are strict, I saw a lot of reds for guys. If you think you may be questionable, youtube the USAPL raw nats and watch the squats for passable depth.

mastermonster
11-14-2009, 03:46 PM
While this thread is going, let me ask if anyone's used both Tommy Kono's and Rehband's and can give a direct comparison. I need some for RUM.

blownby
11-16-2009, 07:37 AM
My .02 cents:

I have used: Inzer sleeve's, Tommy Kono, & knee wraps. I have felt/handled the Rehbands, but not actually used them.

That being said:

the inzer sleeves may have a carry over of like 5#.....10# at best cuz of the mental factor. The do however, provide a decent amount of compression to support the knee. I used the smallest size available at meets and only seemed to get about 5# from them. Also note if you are going to use these for training the bands would pop out after a few uses and thus reduce the support/rebound. Would be bad to be repeatedly used in training.

The TK may have a carryover of like 2-3# at best. They really provide very little support, but if you have knee issues or want to help prevent them, they will definitly add heat and warmth to the knee. Knee's wil be sweating with in a few minutes.

The Rehbands are very similiar to the TK's and may at best net you a pound or two more than the TK's. They fell a bit stiffer/thicker. But they are double the price of theTK's Note the origal rehbands are 7mm( i believe, while the ones now are 0nly 5-6mm thick)

I know so many felt that there "would" be a lot of carryover with the inzer's as they were a knee wrap material & had velcro straps...the carryover is not there. I have wrapped my knees w/ basic red line wraps and those don't allow you to walk freely & simply sqaut down & "break parralel" w/o weight. The inzer sleeves basically provide stability & warmth to the knee. I had the smallest size they made on. And when on can walk & squat done very easily! Either way the argument is out the window now.

But if you want every imaginable pound to aid your squat...hunt around for the "Original" rehbands. If you want some stabilty & warmth, get some TK and save the $40 extra of the rehbands. Or just find some $10 Neoprene ones at Rite aid!!