PDA

View Full Version : How many pounds can I increase on my bench in a year?

nolan
11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
If I lift 3 times a week hardly and take creatine, how many pounds on my bench can I increase.

Clifford Gillmore
11-05-2009, 09:59 PM
From 0 to 300. I'm happy adding 20-30lbs to my bench in a year. Progress is progress.

Hazerboy
11-05-2009, 10:04 PM
No one is going to be able to give you a straight answer to this, especially without some more information. How much weight do you want to put on, for instance? And what are you current stats and lifting experience?

A more important question is, why do you want to know? If you're trying to set some goals just do something reasonable in a shorter time span.

vdizenzo
11-06-2009, 05:31 AM
With a good coach, a good shirt, and good training I made a 150lb jump one year.

Brian Hopper
11-06-2009, 07:58 AM
With a good coach, a good shirt, and good training I made a 150lb jump one year.

I agree with Vin!!! I did three meets this year and my bench went up 100lbs. It has alot to do everything Vinny mentioned above. I hope next year it goes up the same or more.

mr handy
11-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I started lifting in... September, so we will call it 2 months now... it took me a few weeks to find and start doing SS. My first 1rm was 180 lb (about 6 weeks ago) last night I benched 180x3x5 (last week I retested 1rm and hit 205 lb.

Sooo...... if I can continue gaining at my current rate I should be able to add roughly 200 lb to my bench by this time next yeur. 405 lb sounds good for a years work... :ninja::outnumber:

SEOINAGE
11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I started lifting in... September, so we will call it 2 months now... it took me a few weeks to find and start doing SS. My first 1rm was 180 lb (about 6 weeks ago) last night I benched 180x3x5 (last week I retested 1rm and hit 205 lb.

Sooo...... if I can continue gaining at my current rate I should be able to add roughly 200 lb to my bench by this time next yeur. 405 lb sounds good for a years work... :ninja::outnumber:

Sounds like you made some good gains, but more than likely those beginner gains won't last your progress should taper down a bit, if you went from 180 to 405 in a year that would be insane though.

Also I could see someone adding 100 lbs in a year to their shirted bench, but raw I could see that being a bit more difficult unless you just started lifting. I added 75 lbs to my raw bench in less than a year, but I hadn't benched pressed in many years, only used dumbells, so really my CNS just got used to it and I moved up fast, but after that the gains have been slow.

BigTallOx
11-06-2009, 10:47 AM
If I lift 3 times a week hardly and take creatine, how many pounds on my bench can I increase.

Everybody is different, so only you really can answer this, let us know next year.

For me, before I started powerlifting, I never put more than 225 on the bar for benching ( I had lots of excuses as to why ). About 13 months later, I benched 402 in competition shirted. I don't test my raw max all that often, but a good/honest estimate would be that it's around 350.

mr handy
11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Sounds like you made some good gains, but more than likely those beginner gains won't last your progress should taper down a bit, if you went from 180 to 405 in a year that would be insane though.

Also I could see someone adding 100 lbs in a year to their shirted bench, but raw I could see that being a bit more difficult unless you just started lifting. I added 75 lbs to my raw bench in less than a year, but I hadn't benched pressed in many years, only used dumbells, so really my CNS just got used to it and I moved up fast, but after that the gains have been slow.

I know, I was just kidding... I like to call it opptomistic math, some might call it fuzzy math.
I have a friend that his 1rm is 145. He did 135x2 a couple days ago and I said you just benched double the average American 1rm. :evillaugh:

If I can get to 300+ in a year I will be ecstatic. I am pretty confident that I will be close.

JK1
11-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I benched 545 in a meet in November last year, in the next May of this year, I benched 635, in the same single ply shirt. I also added about 50 lbs onto my RAW bench in the gym during that time (I don't have a true RAW max in a meet, so I guess I really shouldn't mention it). Getting form right, learning the shirt, and training hard can make some big differences.

dynamo
11-06-2009, 02:57 PM

I worked on my form and I went from about 260 to 320 in about 3 months. I would suggest you make sure your form is good and you train with some intensity.

NickAus
11-06-2009, 03:48 PM
100 lbs to your shirt bench is a good aim, raw maybe 40.

Everyone is different but you will need to make it a major part of your life if you want to progress.

Fuzzy
11-06-2009, 05:12 PM

I especially second the coaching. EVERYONE dislikes working their weaknesses hard, it often takes someone to force you to not only workyour weaknesses but to dedicate 100% percent to erradicating them.

I abssolutely hate good mornings and ham string work, my coach made me do it several times a week and my main lifts shot up 30 pounds. I would never have done this on my own.

Brian Hopper
11-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Having a coach who knows what they are talking about is a HUGE PLUS!!!! I definitley owe my coach alot for helping me achieve my goals!!!

Judas
11-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Most i've done in one year without changing anything like the set-up, supplements, anything... just sheer progress, was 50lbs raw. That was fairly recently.

I put 105lbs on my raw bench my first year, but those were going from rank-amateur/first day in the gym to serious trainer, also learning the proper set-up, starting basic supplements and learning basic nutrition. Also did that in a good powerlifting club with a good knowledgeable trainer there most ov the time. Serious beginner gains... what i'd do to see those again...

Throw a shirt into the mix and good training partners, with all ov the above and the sky is literally the limit.

robchris
11-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Nolan,

Give Chris 30 lbs. in 30 days a shoot... Its a great raw bench routine!

Check it out right here @ WBB. Worked for me!