PDA

View Full Version : deadlift form critque

ironchef
11-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey can y'all look at my dead and give me some pointers. I am having problems with the lock out and have been adding in some exercises to help that i.e. kroc rows, lock outs, heavy/ high rep pull ups,hip thrust with weight. But I also think it might be a form issue so can y'all give me a few pointers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkyZNize04

BigTallOx
11-06-2009, 09:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0BjvXIESuc

That link is to a 405 3 board bench, not deadlift.

ironchef
11-06-2009, 09:56 AM
**** well that was a dumb mistake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkyZNize04

Sean S
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
You do have a little hitch at the top. I think the problem is because of your back position. By the time you clear your knees, you are rounded over a little bit (although I've seen much worse). This will always make it tougher to stand up straight and lockout the weight. I realize it's nearly impossible to maintain a perfect arch with a heavy DL, but I think if you could stay a little closer to neutral it would help some of your lockout issues. I know some may disagree and point to an example of someone who is rounded over more than you but has a great DL. If you weren't having any lockout issues I probably wouldn't say too much about your technique, but since you are I thinks it's something to look at.
Maintaining a better arch could be technique or strength, but it's likely a little bit of both. I would try to arch harder and also do some extra work for the spinal erectors. Weighted back raises have always worked best for me. I would also start with submax DL work and try to arch better. If you go up in weight and your form gets significantly worse, drop the weight back down until you do it correctly again.
With all that being said, you clearly have some pretty good strength, so I think with a few tweaks you could pull significantly more.

BigTallOx
11-06-2009, 10:36 AM
You do have a little hitch at the top.

Yeah, there's definitely hitching at the top. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but it looks to me like there's no need for the hitch. It looks like you had plenty of strength to lock it out without hitching, but you hitched anyway. Did your shorts get in the way or something? Strong pulling though, even with the hitching.

BodyByGamma
11-06-2009, 08:35 PM
You are just trying to lock out the weight a little too fast and are doing a mini hitch rather then sticking your hips through. Try doing partial deadlifts from blocks or rack pulls,to get your back and more importantly your hips used to just locking out the weight. Very strong deadlift btw.

MarcusWild
11-07-2009, 12:37 AM
One of our guys hitched like that. He did a ton of deficits for 3-5 reps against bands/chains. It really helped his deadlift. He hit a PR this week.

mastermonster
11-07-2009, 05:37 PM
A lot of really good points here. I'd add to make sure you're keeping your weight on your heels all the way through the lift. It looks like you may be letting it shift to the balls of your feet near the top 1/2 of the lift. There should be so much weight on the heels that at any point in the lift you should lose your grip, you would fall on your butt. When you're weight is on the ball of the feet it is very hard to finish the lift. It will make you feel like it is pulling you forward to some extent instead of you pulling it back to lock. Good strength. Good luck!

JPanella
11-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I agree with slowing down a bit. You are trying to lock it out so fast to go to the hitch real quick. I try and concentrate on getting my hips through and flexing my glutes. You are strong enough to pull that clean.

ironchef
11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I never really considered the rushing aspect of it but now that you mention it I can definitely agree that when i reach that part I do mentally rush it. I will try more to think about locking out. Thanks for the input.

abbcccxyyzzz
11-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Looks good. I recommend you just not stand in front of the bar as long. Just grab that bad boy and pull. Dont say bent over so long. The longer you stay bent over, the stretch reflex in your hamstrings dies down.