PDA

View Full Version : How often do you feel beat up?

vdizenzo
11-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I feel like a bag of broken dicks at least 5 days out of the week when pushing my training hard. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. Anybody eles just sick of it.

DieselWarrior
11-08-2009, 04:04 PM
My legs are spaghetti after my squats tonight... Does this count? Plus I did benches, so Im just now getting over being dizzy. :eek:

Ryan Celli
11-08-2009, 04:13 PM
not bitching, but i hurt 24/7.
Forgot to mention it was just 20yrs competing this Sept. -
Sept 1989- 114 class 235 bench 15yrs old. raw.

dynamo
11-08-2009, 04:15 PM
When I can get the big three in every week I usually feel like crap 4 out of 7 days when I go balls to the wall. Some weeks I even have to space my workouts to 6 days instead of 4 it just hurts so bad. Though, since I rocked my forearm squatting 3 days a week is pretty nice.

skinny99
11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
As I have got to the third month of SS and have days where I am able to add weight to all three lift(especially A day) I am whooped! I feel like I have been beaten with hammers! LOL! Not really like DOMS pain just an overall feeling of fatigue and tightness! Although my quads are (DOMS) sore from my heaviest day of PC and squats ever! It kinda sucks to be sore but I have goals I am trying to achieve! I do wonder what the end result is gonna feel like!

NickAus
11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I train 3 days a week, I am sore mon-thur.

I'm not super beat up but am often tired.

The ETS has helped, my post work-out shake with Glutamine and creatine in it has also helped.

Sensei
11-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I feel like a bag of broken dicks at least 5 days out of the week when pushing my training hard. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. Anybody eles just sick of it.
Vince,
In a (for example) three month stretch of training, how many of those weeks are you pushing your training hard?

Hazerboy
11-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Being young and taking lots of protein + RESULTS really cuts down my DOMS overall, but a few things still destroy me... Real heavy sets of squats or deadlifts wrecks my body. On friday I did 470x8 and everything was just depleted saturday/friday. Not even really doms, my whole body just hurts haha.

A good set of lunges still has me hobbling all week also.

Lones Green
11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
The only time I really feel like crap is the day after my heavy squat day, if I really push it. When we start getting in suits and what not, I just feel drained the next day. I could probably sleep 14 hours the night after squatting, haha

Ryano
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
At 50+, I'm sore all the time. Workouts or not. May as well workout and be sore as opposed to being sore just from being old.

vdizenzo
11-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Vince,
In a (for example) three month stretch of training, how many of those weeks are you pushing your training hard?

All of them. I only slow down when I get a nagging injury or my body just starts completely breaking down. After this recently happened I realized I need to plan breaks. I am now planning on taking 2 weeks for band training, gpp, and recuperation every 6 months.

Darracq
11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I am 43 and my hamstring and low back have been killing me for months, shouders have hurt for years lol.

MarcusWild
11-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Louie mentioned in one of his articles that Westside used to use 5 week waves. Then he found research from Russia that showed they used 3 week waves. They found that after 3 weeks of intense training they didn't get any stronger or faster. Westside had the same experience, so they switched to the 3 week wave. Now some people just restart the wave. I "deload" every 4th week. It's not like a deload before a meet. I just drop the bands/chains and keep the barbell movements to sets of 5. That seems to be enough to keep my body fresh. Whenever I get stupid and go more than 3 intense weeks in a row, then it just sucks.

mikesbench
11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I've been finding that using more conjugate movements helps me avoid the nagging injuries and pain. Although I was just out for a week with pull in my neck and had totake a break and choose the chiropractor and massage over the gym. Feel back on track now. I guess I always have a hard time gauging why I hurt, cause I'm also a carpenter so my job kicks my ass too.

bencher8
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I train 1 day a week balls to the wall. I go heavy on my back once a week, once on my bench a week. The rest of the day are a light back day and a light bench day. I hurt at least 3 of those days out of the week....not sore, but joints and general aches.

robchris
11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Louie mentioned in one of his articles that Westside used to use 5 week waves. Then he found research from Russia that showed they used 3 week waves. They found that after 3 weeks of intense training they didn't get any stronger or faster. Westside had the same experience, so they switched to the 3 week wave. Now some people just restart the wave. I "deload" every 4th week. It's not like a deload before a meet. I just drop the bands/chains and keep the barbell movements to sets of 5. That seems to be enough to keep my body fresh. Whenever I get stupid and go more than 3 intense weeks in a row, then it just sucks.

Agreed... Every 4th week is deload for me also. Like you guys, I feel beat up after sqaut day and hvy. shirt work for that matter.

I really look forward to that deload week after 3-straight hvy. weeks!

SELK
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I feel like **** for about 2-3 hours after training, I will just lay down on the couch/ground and not move.

Other then maybe a nagging injury, I am usually 100% the day after any workout. I don't take deload weeks like some do, I am either going very hard or not showing up to the gym at all. I do take entire weeks off training though if I feel it will help.

allan3
11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
i am ALWAYS sore, but i love the feeling, and always have...and i mean SORE, and tired as hell too.

deeder
11-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I usually have something that aches... But it's not nearly as bad as it was a year ago. A year ago I had days I couldn't walk because my knees were so ****ed, days I couldn't get a glass out of the cupboard because my shoulders hurt so bad... I've been doing a TON more recovery work than I used to (including stretching, hot baths, 'extra workouts', etc...) Even with all that, I've still got a nagging pain or two. No on going injuries anymore though :)

SEOINAGE
11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Always hurt, pain in my back, glutes hamastrings, ribs, shoulders, everything and it just doesn't go away. Sometimes I feel a bit handicapped.

Judas
11-09-2009, 04:51 AM
I honestly cant tell whether trying to specialize in two diametrically opposed disciplines simultaneously is helping or hindering me. I had it pretty good there for a few years, training wise. I train full-time, so i dont have to compromise my sleep at all... i can sleep 15 hours a day if i want to. Only a lack ov money compromises my training. But this year my gym moved locations and changed formats, and so it has pretty much sucked ass all year. I've slowly become more and more broken down and overtrained as the year went on because i haven't adjusted my training to suit the gay new gym (i'm stubborn, i refuse to go backwards). Unfortunately its the only viable gym in town for heavy training... so i'm stuck there. The last couple months i've just felt generally behind the eight-ball, recovery wise. The new gym is also further away and more expensive, so i was forced to drop certain supplements that may or may not have helped recovery (glutamine, BCAA's, vitamins and good quality protein... the protein i take now is cheap, but not very good), so that hasn't helped.

The big question for me though is whether or not trying to build a big bench and become very technically good in the snatch is healthy. I do huge bench volume, then i'm forced to stretch the living hell out ov my shoulders/pecs for the following two days. Then repeat. I find that full snatches are without a doubt THE BEST possible 'restorative' exercise (as Louie Simmons calls it)... it involves serious stretching, full body movement, etc. But i do wonder if all that stretching is hurting my bench. I also wonder if benching big volume (getting that upper body nice and tight) and then trying to become all loose and pliant and flexy the next day is good for the upper body... doing two entirely opposite things at once.

At least i never get DOMS and i'm very rarely injured. No pain. The second i tweak something or even sense the possibility ov an injury coming on i back off. I think for the intensity and antagonistic form ov my training i've done pretty well after five and a half years training.

Athos
11-09-2009, 06:29 AM
This is an interesting thread, good to see even top guys feel as trashed as I do. I'm typically stiff and a bit sore after every heavy SQ or DL session, if I ignore recovery workouts/methods/nutrition, I just could not handle the volume. Although I will admit, in some kind of sick way, I kind of like the feeling of sore quads the day after a serious squat workout.

Tim K
11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I feel beat up most of the time. Between age, past injuries, work outs, farm work, and my job it all adds up to aches and pain. My shoulder feel okay, until I try to sleep on my side. My back isn't too bad, until I'm stuck sitting at a desk too long. My knees don't hurt, unless its cold or early in the morning. My hips feel good, unless I've just finished squatting or deadlifting. My neck - that only feels decent after a massage. :D It is what it is... To tell the truth, it all lets me know everything is still working.

Sean S
11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
When I was training heavy for geared lifting I felt beat up much of the time. Particularly in the shoulders, elbows, forearms, and upper back. I've transitioned to raw training/lifting recently and feel much better physically. The shoulders are still a little sore from time to time, but everything else feels much better.

Ron C
11-09-2009, 01:57 PM

HAHAHA. That's the perfect description of how I feel about 98.5% of the time. I'm going to stick with 3 week waves and a 4th week deload. It's the only way to go.

JSully
11-09-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't take deload weeks like some do, I am either going very hard or not showing up to the gym at all. I do take entire weeks off training though if I feel it will help.

This is me..I typically take an entire week off about about 6 weeks..

WillKuenzel
11-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Even if we're pushing things hard, I find I rarely feel beat up unless it's 2 consecutive weeks of high volume and high intensity, but those weeks are few and far between. We'll adjust volume per workout to account for how things look or feel. This meet cycle, this type of focus has given us more weeks at a higher intensity. Granted the first couple weeks were brutal but as things have progressed we've felt stronger and better prepared than we have in the past.

Guido
11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
HAHAHA. That's the perfect description of how I feel about 98.5% of the time. I'm going to stick with 3 week waves and a 4th week deload. It's the only way to go.This is what I do, too (per 5-3-1) and it's worked very well. It keeps me itching to get back into heavy lifting after the de-load week, too. Keeps my focus up.

Detard
11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty young still, but even I get aches and pain. Right now both of my elbows are sore, and my left shoulder... from a shirted workout on friday. Not so much after squat workouts though. I'll get bruising across my back, and pressure headaches, and sore muscles, but fortunately my knees and hips are ok so far (knock on wood)

fulldaddy
11-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for starting this thread - I've been wondering for some time now if what I normally feel is abnormal or what. For as long as I can remember I've always gotten sore from things others didn't, I've always struggled with dings & strains - i thought I was special :) but I'm glad I'm not.

Dec 5th will be my last meet of the year (5 raw meets) and I am going to take some time to chill. On a side not - I am so thankful I picked up a foam roller per the advice of many on this board. My own log of heaven.

Travis Bell
11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I feel beat up mostly when I'm sick. Half the volume I normally do makes me feel terrible. I waddle around the gym like I've been smoking for 20 years lol.

Normally though, it goes in waves. Some days you'll feel like dynomite, other days not so much. You just have to learn when to dial things back a little and when to drop the hammer.

nsnyder
11-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I like to try to find the parts of my body that dont hurt always something nagging me but yet we just keep plugging away.

robchris
11-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for starting this thread - I've been wondering for some time now if what I normally feel is abnormal or what. For as long as I can remember I've always gotten sore from things others didn't, I've always struggled with dings & strains - i thought I was special :) but I'm glad I'm not.

Dec 5th will be my last meet of the year (5 raw meets) and I am going to take some time to chill. On a side not - I am so thankful I picked up a foam roller per the advice of many on this board. My own log of heaven.

Fulldaddy,

Holysh**... (5) meet's in a year! I'm good w/ 1 or 2 per year.

You're probably a lot younger than me, but you still deserve a break!

Samsuperjew
11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
my hips feel beat up 24/7, everything else besides hammies usually feel decent

Ryano
11-10-2009, 05:40 AM
After having two meets in the last month, I've been super beat up. Took a full weekoff iceing two to three times/day, so last night I went in to do some raw brd presses. Kind of lighten the load a little on the shoulders. Worked up to 515 and I have that good ache back. Muscle soreness, not joint pain. Life is good at 54. Ice works wonders.

getting there
11-10-2009, 06:41 AM
I usually only feel beat up after a heavy squat or dead session. I make it a point to get enough sleep and stretch my butt off so I don't get DOMS too bad the next day or even 2 days later (which is when it is worst for me). Although every morning it does take me a few minutes to get loosened up and moving around.

AzRockytop
11-10-2009, 07:08 AM
I got less experience than all you guys. . . but I got a nagging wife who is also a nurse with 20 years experience. I was a non-believer in cardio and vitamins- until I started hammering a lot of vitamin c every day and making sure I did like 20 minutes of very light cardio after a big workout or the next day. the Vitamins I think help with the "feel like crap" part, and the little bit of cardio seems to help chase the soreness away.

thewicked
11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Time to deload buddy!!! LOL I feel like that after every 3rd week and do some light, bodybuilder type crap and end up feeling so much better the following week!!! too heavy too often breaks ya down...especially the CNS and when that's goobered...there's no way it can effectively talk to the muscles for maximum output inturn wasting your time.

HOWEVER you just gotta learn what that "feeling" feels like and you'll start to notice signs of it then back off abit. I'll either skip accessory work or deload instead of the usual now.

Train for longevity vin...there's alot of masters divisions out there! LOL!! gotta be healthy enough to play in them!

thewicked
11-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Fulldaddy,

Holysh**... (5) meet's in a year! I'm good w/ 1 or 2 per year.

You're probably a lot younger than me, but you still deserve a break!

I've done some kind of meet wether it's strongman, powerlifting, or other strength/fitness challenge every month all year.....and don't plan on doing crap until the spring not counting the grip strength/power meet in january!

vdizenzo
11-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Train for longevity vin...there's alot of masters divisions out there! LOL!! gotta be healthy enough to play in them!

I have 15 years in. That's more longevity than most. I'll eventually go the masters route, but at 40 I'm just not ready yet. I'm pushing for a good 3-5 more years open class.

ltho98
11-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm usually not sore in some part of the body. The times the soreness isn't there though, I feel bloated and like a slob

fulldaddy
11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
robschris - I am actually 39. I started lifting when I was 15 but most of the physical abuse came from playing football until I was 29. I lifted consistantly but fairly light for 8 years before finding my new love - powerlifting - last year. I love to train for a meet (it keeps me motivated) and I love to compete - the whole experience makes me feel like I'm still an athlete.

I know a few guys that can "do work" like thewicked but I don't put myself in that catagory. After a consistant and gradual progression I finally feel like my joints have caught up with my weights and I don't feel the hurt (like - injury hurt) like I used to. I have to get some tissue removed from my shoulder right after my next meet so that will be a good excuse to take some time off - which I do feel I need to do.

It has been cool to read everyones posts regarding this.

Detard
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Well today I feel really beat up and tired. My bench suffered due to fatigue, and everything is sore from yesterdays squat/deadlift workout. The weeks leading up to a meet are always the worst though

mastermonster
11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I used to think I had to get in 4 WOs a week. I finally got so tired of feeling 'beat up' that I tried fitting it all in 3 days (non-consecutive). Right now my normal split is Monday: Bench press and all push work (chest, triceps and shoulders). Wed: Squats and all leg work. Friday: Deadlift and back, bicep and ab work. Note: I don't deadlift every week as I feel I need even more recovery on them. Notice that the related muscles are all worked on the same day and only once per week. I feel kind of 'beat up' the day after a workout, but I'm good to go by the next training day. The total day off is very effective for my recovery. It is hard for us to be patient in the more is better world; but sometimes...less is better. If you don't recover, you don't gain...not for long anyway.

KarstenDD
11-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Most of the time.