PDA

View Full Version : Full meet guys...

blownby
11-10-2009, 10:25 AM
How do you typically train?

Do you train all the main lifts hard week after week, with deloads.....
Do you pick a lift and focus on that for a cycle of 8 weeks or so & take it a tad easier on the other two main lifts?...etc

ScottYard
11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I train in cycles. You cant go nuts year round. The best thing to do is pick a meet and put togther a training cycle. Training is better and more focused with a goal in mind. I deload every 4th week regardless of what Im doing.

blownby
11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
But do you focus on a particular lift in each phase....

Sean S
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I would say I don't usually "focus" on a particular lift, I try to get stronger with all of them. I don't feel like I'm strong enough on any one lift to put it on the back burner while I focus on something else. With that said, my training for each lift doesn't look the same even if I'm giving them all equal focus. I've learned over time how much I can recover from regarding each lift and try to optimize my training as such with each lift. Of course you do have to make sure your SQ and DL training is complementary so one doesn't detract from the other.
I'm not against focusing on a particular lift during a block of training, I just don't do it very often.

ScottYard
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
For the squat I just squat. For the pull though I use Block pulls, Top pulls, and reg deads.

theBarzeen
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
I cycle everything light, medium, heavy, and deload every 4th week.... the light, medium, heavy weeks are different for each lift ( squat medium but deadlift heavy etc...) but deload is always for every lift

JK1
11-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I make a list of what I percieve to be my weaknesses every 12-16 weeks if I'm not training for a meet. I then pick exercises to specifically work on those weaknesses for each of the three lifts and bust my ass with those. Before a meet I look back through what I thought went well and what went wrong with the last meet along with notes I took at the end of that training cycle. I'll put something together from there. Sometimes its complex, sometimes its simple. Bottom line, the goal is to put more weight on the bar and set new PR's.

mastermonster
11-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't do the whole deload / load thing. I do consider my training to be cyclic. I take a week or 2 off after meets. Then I begin back with a bit of a pull back in the weight on the comp lifts and even going just briefs for a while on squats. I'll add some exercises and rep work to make sure my muscle base stays up. As my next meet approaches (8-10 weeks out) I'll add the suit and start back up on the weight with a schedule in mind that will end in a PR (hopefully). I'll gradually decrease the bodybuilding type stuff as the meet gets closer and the comp lifts get heavier. A lot of this is very much instinctive and not set in stone (by feel). After training for most of 40 years I've got a good sense of what is working and what doesn't work for me.

I'm actually in an exception to this at present as I'm traing squats without briefs and walking them out to be as prepared for RUM as I can be. So, I am emphasising that right now.

P.S. I usually don't put an emphasis on one lift over the other. Unless I do a rare B.O. meet.