PDA

View Full Version : after throwing up and not eating all day how long to get strength back

endymion88
11-10-2009, 09:30 AM
i was throwing up all day yesterday on my 21st birthday it was also the day i was going to do my deadlift for the strongest of the weak...super bad timing to get sick. i couldn't eat all day until night and then could only eat a chicken breast. i'm feeling alot better now i'm just wondering how long it will take for my strength to come back or if i lost any to begin with. i need to do some pulling and i figured tomorrow i should be fine if i load my glycogen and such. thoughts?

Sean S
11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I got a horrible stomach bug that required an ER visit due to dehydration a couple years ago. This was almost exactly two weeks out from a meet. I felt like I was pretty much full strength at the meet, but probably not before then. You can go back to training, but I wouldn't recommend trying a max or new PR for at least a week, with 2-3 weeks being better. I would ease back into training and test yourself in 2-3 weeks.

SEOINAGE
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I think you should be good. Just eat well, and if you aren't 100% then you will be by the next time you deadlift. In my experience the longer you are sick the longer it takes to get back to normal, but usually weight lost while being sick rebounds pretty dang fast.
edit: I agree to not go all out the first day back, you can still work hard, but use that work out to build yourself up.

endymion88
11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
well i just planned on doing all my maxes for the strongest of the weak lol and this bug kinda screwed it up. i'm trying to load myself up on pslin and anabolic pump right now and hoping that will do it for me by tomorrow. i'm not really sure i'm thinking i could try to max bench instead of something like squat or deadlift since it's muchhh less demanding on me lol

Travis Bell
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Loading up on stimulants probably isn't going to help you a whole lot

endymion88
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
lol they aren't stims. basically all they do is help your body transfer nutrients into your muscles.

Lones Green
11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
lol they aren't stims. basically all they do is help your body transfer nutrients into your muscles.

Regardless, they aren't going to help you much

Drink some gatorade and train if you feel better. Ease back into it. If you do max effort work and go for a PR, you're just going to miss it and get made. Do some repetition work or something. Its not a sprint, its a marathon

endymion88
11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
i'm just taking them to help load my bodyweight back onto my body they should stop me from pissing all the water out. been drinking some 50/50 gatorade and sippin on bcaa's. would my body be basically just rebounding right now like i would if i had cut weight? or would the puking and symptoms have done more damage to it than just cutting weight would?

endymion88
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
well i'll probly just take it easy and see how everything feels if i feel strong i'll try and do some damage if i'm feeling week it doesn't pay to bother. thanks for the input. i'd still like to know whether this would be like coming back from cutting weight though.

Travis Bell
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I guess I was confusing those two supplements with NO2 supps.

I looked them up and both of them claim to "make food more anabolic" which is just about the most ridiculous thing I've read in some time.

They will not help you, but I suppose they aren't going to hurt you either.

no getting over being sick is nothing like comming back from a cut. Being sick is very taxing on your immune system as well as your central nervous system so your body is basically shot for a little while. You body rebuilds itself from the training by using it's immune system so when it's been obliterated, you aren't going to make the same gains you did before for a little bit, until your body is completely healed from being sick.

endymion88
11-10-2009, 12:46 PM
ok thank you very much.

endymion88
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
lol this is terrible i have fire under my ass to get back in the gym...

DGabe24
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I guess I was confusing those two supplements with NO2 supps.

I looked them up and both of them claim to "make food more anabolic" which is just about the most ridiculous thing I've read in some time.

They will not help you, but I suppose they aren't going to hurt you either.

no getting over being sick is nothing like comming back from a cut. Being sick is very taxing on your immune system as well as your central nervous system so your body is basically shot for a little while. You body rebuilds itself from the training by using it's immune system so when it's been obliterated, you aren't going to make the same gains you did before for a little bit, until your body is completely healed from being sick.

Maybe not those products specifically, but nutrient partitioners do have their own place and time where they can be very efficient. Helping your body's ability to shuttle/store carbs as glycogen, is never a bad thing.

Regardless, I agree 100%. Just take time off, and try to eat as much as you can stomach. Electrolytes are a good idea as well, in case you are suffering from any dehydration from the vomiting.

JSully
11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Maybe not those products specifically, but nutrient partitioners do have their own place and time where they can be very efficient. Helping your body's ability to shuttle/store carbs as glycogen, is never a bad thing.

Regardless, I agree 100%. Just take time off, and try to eat as much as you can stomach. Electrolytes are a good idea as well, in case you are suffering from any dehydration from the vomiting.

cheap nutrient partitioner = vinegar..

good stack = nutrient timing + vinegar..

to the OP.. just get better dude.. I deadlifted 555x3 a few weeks back and went in to deadlift sunday while still getting over this cold and couldn't budge 545 for a single..