PDA

View Full Version : Bench question

BigTallOx
11-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Lately after my max effort bench sessions, my biceps feel like I did a bazillion bicep curls, both when benching shirted or raw, it doesn't seem to matter. Does this mean that they could be my weak spot for benching? Should I be doing bicep curls to strengthen this (potential) weakness? I rarely do them now. I've been trying to tuck more, but I by no means tuck a lot ( from looking at my videos I'd say the angle between my upper body and my upper arm is about 50 degrees, maybe slightly more ). Is it related to me trying to tuck more? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

blownby
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
my biceps feel like I did a bazillion bicep curls,

:hello:
Is that part of SS or 5,3,1..... :moon: nah, must be sheiko!! :omg:

I get a sore pain occasionally across the top of my bicep into my top forearm during/after heavy benching. If or when i start to notice this i lighten up & take it easy on cruls and stick with higher reps & drop sets and stay away from any curl movement that would furthur agitate it.

Tucking elbows may put a little more stress on the bi too. How are your wrists....ie straight or do they bend back as well when you bench?

BigTallOx
11-10-2009, 11:11 AM
How are your wrists....ie straight or do they bend back as well when you bench?

My wrists don't bench back very much. Here's a picture of me benching at my last meet; my wrists are pretty straight.

http://www.brianmielke.com/402_bench_export.jpg

blownby
11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
yeah the r pretty straight...so thats all good there

BigTallOx
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Just so you know, I'm tucking a little more now than in that pic.

TravisMash
11-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Biceps pretty much only do elbow flexion meaning they only bend the elbow, and with benching you are doing elbow extension which is what the triceps do. So the biceps is the antagonist in the bench press, but it does aid in deceleration. Definitely some bicep work is important, but it probably won't increase the bench that much.

Sean S
11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I had the same problem when I was doing a heavy band phase for squats and also taking some benches in the shirt. I found that icing the area after training helped some and I also did some high rep curls and hammer curls. I did have to ice daily for week or so, but it took care of the problem.

theBarzeen
11-11-2009, 07:56 AM
when I tried twisting the sleeves of my bench shirt it put a lot of pressure on my biceps...... how tight are your sleeves?

or you might just be flexing them to keep tight..... if it's not hurting your bench ...???

drew
11-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Are you pulling the bar down to touch? I know some people suggest this (I don't do it) but I would imagine that would put a lot of stress on the biceps.

BigTallOx
11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
how tight are your sleeves?

The sleeves are really tight, the chest plate isn't as tight.

BigTallOx
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Are you pulling the bar down to touch?

No, I don't feel like I'm pulling the bar down. The sleeves are really tight though, and I feel a lot of pressure in the sleeves especially when the bar is near my chest. I'm assuming this is normal though.

dynamo
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I only do raw stuff but I tuck my elbows in a lot when I bench and when I first started tucking them in like I should my biceps would actually spasm the entire time I was lowering the bar, so I threw in some direct bicep work and it went away.

BigTallOx
11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I only do raw stuff but I tuck my elbows in a lot when I bench and when I first started tucking them in like I should my biceps would actually spasm the entire time I was lowering the bar, so I threw in some direct bicep work and it went away.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, some direct bicep work might be needed. I'll give it try. ( I'm sure one of my training buddies will make fun of me turning into a bodybuilder though, if he sees me doing curls. )

dynamo
11-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, some direct bicep work might be needed. I'll give it try. ( I'm sure one of my training buddies will make fun of me turning into a bodybuilder though, if he sees me doing curls. )

just punch him in the face.

jtteg_x
11-12-2009, 12:33 AM
( I'm sure one of my training buddies will make fun of me turning into a bodybuilder though, if he sees me doing curls. )

have him watch videos of those who deadlift heavy and tear a bicep during the pull. as much as biceps are useless in the PL sport, it shouldn't be neglected in training.

OP, do you think your biceps are getting worked by squeezing the bar?

robchris
11-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Ox,

Had the same problem w/ an old F6 I used to use... I used it on ME bench one night and the next day I couldnt move my arms!

My bi's where on fire! I knew the shirt was a size too small and the sleeves where very tight... Needless to say I went back to my regular size shirt and havent had that problem since.