PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Hyper - to WSB athletes..

Virtron
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I figured those that have worked with Louie will know better. I had a thread about my first injury and I was recommended the reverse hyper. Thanks to Tom M, Ehubbard, and bodybygamma, I was able to use such a machine. The source of the pain however was diagnosed as sacroiliac pain. My question is will the reverse hyper target such an injury?

Travis Bell
11-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Depending on the type of injury, yes the reverse hyper would be a big benefit.

When you swing your legs forward, focus on letting the weight stretch you out as far as possible. Then when you swing your legs back and up, make sure you lift your head at the top and arch your back a bit.

Keep the weight light for a little while and then begin adding weight. Just be consistent with it.

Rehabbing the sacroiliac joint will take some time.

ehubbard
11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I figured those that have worked with Louie will know better. I had a thread about my first injury and I was recommended the reverse hyper. Thanks to Tom M, Ehubbard, and bodybygamma, I was able to use such a machine. The source of the pain however was diagnosed as sacroiliac pain. My question is will the reverse hyper target such an injury?

If you are referring to the Reverse Hyperextension machine at Coliseum that is not a real Reverse Hyper. The pendulum action is a hige part of the RH and that machine does not provide for the traction of the spine that a real Westside RH would.

Travis Bell
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
If you are referring to the Reverse Hyperextension machine at Coliseum that is not a real Reverse Hyper. The pendulum action is a hige part of the RH and that machine does not provide for the traction of the spine that a real Westside RH would.

Ah, this is a good point

If you are using a machine, it's not going to help nearly as much as the real reverse hyper would

Lones Green
11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
That IS true, especially for the reason you're looking to use it Virtron.

This is probably similar to what they have, I've used something similar to this at a commercial gym:

http://www.samsonequipment.com/images/907RHP.jpg

It stops you when your legs are about perpendicular to the floor.

What you want is something that swings all the way forward, like this:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/bad-reverse-hyper.jpg

(Don't pay attention to that guy's form, he's supposed to be demonstrating the improper way to use it. You just want that range of motion)

Virtron
11-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Ah, this is a good point

If you are using a machine, it's not going to help nearly as much as the real reverse hyper would

That IS true, especially for the reason you're looking to use it Virtron.

This is probably similar to what they have, I've used something similar to this at a commercial gym:

http://www.samsonequipment.com/images/907RHP.jpg

It stops you when your legs are about perpendicular to the floor.

What you want is something that swings all the way forward, like this:

(Don't pay attention to that guy's form, he's supposed to be demonstrating the improper way to use it. You just want that range of motion)

So, does that make it useless as a rehabbing tool? I mean for some reason NYC is like this blackhole... there are no reverse hypers anywhere. Its a pulley with plates and the platform is tilted down like 30 degrees.

Lones Green
11-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Its not going to help you that much, no. Its still got the concentric part of the motion, but the swinging is where you get the spinal fluid flushing into the spine and what's going to help your rehab process.

Clifford Gillmore
11-10-2009, 07:28 PM

Thats our Reverse Hyper, its pretty nasty.

I'd thought I'd just chime in with how we are all now pausing at the top of the extension, and none of us really use more than 2 plates (I struggle with two 25's) now. I use to do the swinging thing with 10 plates on there without resisting the motion, and it actually caused more pain in my lower back. I havn't had ANY problems since I started doing it, and I probally only use it once a month...

Lones Green
11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Thats our Reverse Hyper, its pretty nasty.

I'd thought I'd just chime in with how we are all now pausing at the top of the extension, and none of us really use more than 2 plates (I struggle with two 25's) now. I use to do the swinging thing with 10 plates on there without resisting the motion, and it actually caused more pain in my lower back. I havn't had ANY problems since I started doing it, and I probally only use it once a month...

There's a difference between doing them heavy, and doing them too heavy with sloppy form. I attribute heavy reverse hypers to a lot of my squat and deadlift

Travis Bell
11-10-2009, 09:03 PM
There's a difference between doing them heavy, and doing them too heavy with sloppy form. I attribute heavy reverse hypers to a lot of my squat and deadlift

Bingo.

If they were causing you more pain you were most likely doing something wrong with your positioning.

A lot of people try and go up to high on the reverse with their legs

Virtron
11-10-2009, 09:52 PM
So I dunno.. I used the reverse hyper at coliseum gym and I think it swings really well. I watched this video from elitefts.com and I did exactly that. It swung forward and I arched on the swing back. I used 50lb.

JK1
11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Hey Lones, where did you get that picture of the guy on the reverse hyper from? Was that an article or a video clip?

Lones Green
11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey Lones, where did you get that picture of the guy on the reverse hyper from? Was that an article or a video clip?

Check the URL, I got it from a Diesel crew article