PDA

View Full Version : Cheat days.. not so good?

bgs1154
11-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Check this article out. Cheat days may not be good if your having trouble sticking to your diet..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091109174345.htm

Wayward
11-10-2009, 05:05 PM
It's probably true for a lot of people.

Depends a lot on the person, I think.

Anyway, I'm likely one of those people who would tumble into full relapse, so when I'm having a "cheat day", it's really just a "cheat meal", and not so much at that. My typical cheat meal over the last several months has been hummus & pita bread, jasmine brown rice/carrots/peas/potatos/kidney beans with chicken mishwi on top. A larger than normal serving.

You can argue both sides that people tend to get down on themselves when they feel like they are "never going to get to eat anything good again" and the cheat day is something to look forward to and reload, but while it seems like a stupid cliche to a lot of people, the fact remains that eating healthy really is more of a lifestyle change than a 6 on 1 off binging routine. Add to that the chemical responses that these foods are going to cause in your body during binge days, and you're teeing up for disaster IMO.

A person who still needs to have those two alcoholic drinks a week or suffers a meltdown is still pretty much an alcoholic.

vdizenzo
11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I cannot stay on my diet consistently with one cheat day a week. An entire cheat day throws me into a tailspin. Instead, I allow myself three cheat meals a week. I just can't have more than one on any given day. I have been able to stay pretty true to this for three months and I have lost 33 lbs. I feel like this a real lifestyle for me now.

The J-Man
11-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I definitely find it easier allowing myself cheat meals rather than cheat days. If I go through an entire day "cheating" it takes me a good 2-3 days to get back on track.

hardBODmiranda
11-14-2009, 08:02 PM
i usually give in to one craving or another, and i usually don't think too much about it, and don't feel bad about it either.

a little indulgence can keep you sane.

VikingWarlord
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
An entire cheat day throws me into a tailspin. Instead, I allow myself three cheat meals a week.

I definitely find it easier allowing myself cheat meals rather than cheat days.

I'm with you guys. A cheat DAY is a stupid idea unless you're doing something like UD2.0 where you're refeeding for 2 days. A meal is no problem, especially if it's your last meal of the day. Then it's a lot easier to get back on it in the morning.

Or the other choice is to stop being a blubbering vagina and grow some self control.

Clifford Gillmore
11-14-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm with you guys. A cheat DAY is a stupid idea unless you're doing something like UD2.0 where you're refeeding for 2 days. A meal is no problem, especially if it's your last meal of the day. Then it's a lot easier to get back on it in the morning.

Or the other choice is to stop being a blubbering vagina and grow some self control.

Word. Lyle recommends a cheat meal once a week for super fatties on a Ketogenic diet, its not enough to pull you out of ketosis - but more than enough to keep you sane. Mofo's just need to understand that free meal should be a bloody shrimp ring cocktail and a bruchetta or something.

VikingWarlord
11-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Word. Lyle recommends a cheat meal once a week for super fatties on a Ketogenic diet, its not enough to pull you out of ketosis - but more than enough to keep you sane. Mofo's just need to understand that free meal should be a bloody shrimp ring cocktail and a bruchetta or something.

In the RFL book, he says that category 3 dieters get 2 free meals every 7-10 days. Category 2 get a free meal and a 5 hour refeed. Also in that book, he says that, as long as you do everything else right, you don't have to be concerned. Have a burger and fries or something. As long as you get your veggies in and hit your daily protein requirement, it doesn't really matter in the long run.

His Guide To Flexible Dieting goes into way greater detail about what free meals and refeeds should be about.

I've been PSMFing since Nov 2 and will do it for 24 days. It's great because it requires no thought at all and is really easy if you do it IF-style. Just had a free meal last night. Half a rack of spare ribs, quinoa risotto, and an avocado with cottage cheese. And some peanut butter, I think.

egomaniac
11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
A "Cheat day" has been my downfall on every single attempt I've made to get back into "the game" for the past 3-4 years now.

I'd go clean all week, no problems.....and rationalize eating badly on Sundays because it was my "cheat day".

Problem is I'd be craving bad food so much I'd buy too much and have left overs on Monday....and when Monday rolled around and I opened the fridge I'd see those leftovers and say "aww what's one more day going to hurt"

One more day would undoubtly turn into the whole week and the cycle just kept repeating itself.

What I did to change that is to change what my "cheat" meal is. I changed it from "cheat" to "treat".

Instead of buying sugary, salty, junk food, instead I buy things that are healthy but maybe a little expensive or hard to find....stuff I don't get to eat every week.

A perfect example is that this week I bought snow crab legs. Definitely a treat and yet still full of protein.

Other ideas might be buying yourself a thick juicy steak if you don't already eat them during the week. Maybe some steamed/spiced shrimp. Also, you can buy ground turkey and grill burgers out of it.

poshbird
11-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Well i'm having one glass of wine on saturday, is that classed as cheating and is it a bad cheat because eating healthy through out. Until xmas hehe

Tony Ferrara
11-21-2009, 11:30 PM
I don't know but I just feel super guilty if I "cheat" so what I'm trying to do is find some foods that taste ****ing good and aren't bad for you, or my diet, a lot of fish and meats seem to be OK, but I wouldn't recommend going and getting a McDicks meal because it kind of throws of your mentality.

dishul156
12-06-2009, 02:54 PM
It honestly depends on the person and there ability to control themselves. Personally I like to enjoy a cheat meal once a week or once every two weeks. It gives me the drive i need to stay on my diet. Also in a way it makes me feel bad about cheating and that makes me want to stay strict

The Gasman UK
12-08-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm on a large calorie deficit sunday - friday afternoon. Then I always look forward to a take away, smallish and a few beers. Then a relaxed eating day on saturday and perhaps a few more beers. Then im refreshed and ready to go again training and eating hard another 5.75 days. As long as my deficit outweighs the excess of the weekend , I lose fat and satisfy my desire to eat the less healthy food. It works for me but it is a matter of controlling how much you decide to treat yourself.

TrainHardOrDie
12-09-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm not someone who has any problem getting back on track immediately after a cheat day but I have noticed a big difference in my physique if I eat "cheats" versus high calorie "healthy" foods.

Even though both serve to recharge me and allow me to continue to diet hard, I have found after years of trying both types of "cheat" days that it takes a few days to "come back" after eating junk as opposed to when I eat a lot more calories of "clean" foods.

If I have a "clean" cheat day it seems like muscle glycogen levels are filled and I am mentally refreshed but the next day I pretty much start dieting from the same place instead of having to dig myself out from a hole.

Save yourself the extra time and start doing "clean" cheats. It'll make big difference.