PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Bodybuilding

RikoRed
04-28-2002, 07:58 AM
I have been a vegetarian since I was born - thats not gonna change.

I was just wondering if there are any other vegetarian bodybuilders out there and if so what kinds of things you eat as a person trying to build up your body.

I have been training for about six months and in that time I've ate tons of rice and pasta, soya burgers, baked beans, peanut butter, egg whites, protein milkshakes - this diet has worked and I have gotten bigger. Any more suggestions? ( I also supplemented with creatine as this is lacking in a vegetarian diet).

Thanks for your responses.

MarshallPenn
04-28-2002, 08:40 AM
You should be fine. Yes, there are many other vegetarian bodybuilders, but they make up a small percentage of the group as a whole. You'll also find a lot of people telling you that you *need* to eat meat, don't listen to them. Good luck.

the doc
04-28-2002, 09:29 AM
hmm well since you're not vegan you should be able to gain. Do you eat dairy?

RikoRed
04-28-2002, 09:33 AM
Yes I eat dairy. I drink plenty of milk protein supplements and try and eat 3 egg whites 5 times a week.

body
04-28-2002, 09:34 AM
bill pearl was a veggie
so was hitler as well

you will just have more difficulty getting protein intakes and some vit/minerals with out supplementing.
other than that, there should be no problem.

trianing and exercise choice etc should be the same.

chris mason
04-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Bill Pearl is a vegetarian bodybuilder, he is still alive. Andreas Cahling is a vegetarian bodybuilder, and I am sure there are a few more not coming to mind at the moment. Since you are a locto-ovo (or at least lacto) vegetarian, there should be absolutely no problem consuming sufficient protein. You do not need nearly the amount of protein that is being pushed today.

Accipiter
04-28-2002, 10:00 AM
yeah, it's doable.

Strahd
04-28-2002, 11:31 AM
My friend says arnold is and always been a vegetarian, but I guess it's because my friend is... anyway does anyone know for sure about that?

Horseman
04-28-2002, 11:59 AM
Egg albumin is the most easily assimilated protein. Egg whites are everyone's friend. Shuck the yolk eat the white.

body
04-28-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Strahd
My friend says arnold is and always been a vegetarian, but I guess it's because my friend is... anyway does anyone know for sure about that?

your friend is lying. arnold ate a lot of meat.

Jane
04-28-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RikoRed
Yes I eat dairy. I drink plenty of milk protein supplements and try and eat 3 egg whites 5 times a week.

Try to get more egg whites/eggs in :)

Strahd
04-28-2002, 01:58 PM
ok thanks body, but do you know where I can get real facts so he will (finally) believe me?

body
04-28-2002, 02:47 PM
strahd - his autobiography should mention that he eats meat.

he is well known for eating lots of meat and dairy.

he drank like a gallon of milk a day as well.

Logo
04-30-2002, 12:32 PM
Riko, may I ask why you are a vegitarian? It's very possible to go very far as a vegitarian despite the fact that, at times, it might be more difficult.

Reinier
04-30-2002, 12:35 PM
"You do not need nearly the amount of protein that is being pushed today."

so how much do you think is needed in what situation chris depending on what

body
04-30-2002, 01:43 PM
for protein requirements will depend on wether cutting or bulking.

how much you wiegh?(including muscle mass)
how much your trian? (cardio and weights)

but you are very unlikely to gian more muscle mass by eating 2*bw than say 1.25*bw(body weight pounds) if kcals need are met.

people say they gianed more weight by eating more protien. do not forget extra protien lead to extra kcals which can be areaosn why they got better weight gain.

Reinier
04-30-2002, 02:33 PM
i kno.
i eat roughly 1.25x bw in lbs in grams

Ol' Rhinohide
05-03-2002, 03:13 PM
I'm also a vegi but at the moment I'm fighting the fat battle and trying to conserve the muscle all ready here.

I'm looking for a good protien suppliament. Anyone heard good reports (or bad) about LA Muscle products? If you don't want to reply public email me privately please.

alan.teather@ntlworld.com

Paul Stagg
05-03-2002, 03:32 PM
As long as you eat eggs and dairy, you'll be fine.

smalls
05-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Yah you sound like your doing pretty well, just keep it up. If I were you I would eat more eggs. I eat about 20 egg whites a day.(cuz their good with salsa.)