PDA

View Full Version : Olympic or Powerlifting?

zbollman
11-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello all,

I've decided to step back and rethink what I am doing. I am trying to minimize time in the gym to three days a week instead of my current four(BGB Routine). This is because I hate the gym now. When I started lifting I was at a nice gym by my house in High School, and it was a lot of fun because the people were nice as well as the equipment. However, now that I am in college I can no longer go to that gym. The university's gym is pretty rough, and I'm talking almost unsafe because some of the bars seem to be about to come apart. I found a Club Fitness beside campus, but everything it has is machines and a few free weights -- not to mention the people who workout and work there are in a whole different league of cocky pricks. So I'm looking into a three day program. I am just looking to continue bettering my overall condition. I enjoy both styles of lifting, but I would like to get your opinions on which would be better for general fitness. Also, the two things I love to see grow are shoulders and legs. Any advice would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Zach

mr handy
11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Transfer to a different school. My college had a beautiful gym, small but nice. I now wish I had gotten into lifting before I graduated. Maybe it's best that I didn't because I would be spoiled.

ZenMonkey
11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Does your school have an "Athletes Only" facility? Both schools I have attended did and I simply called the S&C coach, explained Im a competitive weightlifter and needed access to a solid set of bars and bumper plates and they were more than accomodating.

For general fitness: GPP/Crossfit. But, you can do GPP with both PL and WL, so, thats your call. Both camps have a learning curve and their respective sets of followers.

Travis Bell
11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
If you've never done Oly lifting before, it's going to take some time to learn the lifts and how to do them properly which is often very very difficult without a coach.

Powerlifting might be a better route.

Judas
11-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Aside from the default 'find a new place to lift' answer (which would be my first response too) i'd say based on what you posted; wanting total body training and specifically shoulders and legs, i'd say you pretty much answered your own question. Olympic lifting is just that. Add that it builds strength and power that carries over to everything, which cant be said for the other disciplines as easily.

But, as Travis pointed out, if you dont know how to olympic lift, you really should learn how to properly, and depending on a billions different things, it could possibly take a very long time. Dont let that discourage you though, if thats your choice... you have to try it first, and who knows? you could pick it up quickly, or at least enough to progress and gain. Also keep in mind many gyms wont appreciate you powerlifting... and sadly almost none would tolerate weightlifting.

tnathletics2b
11-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Doing olympic lifts with unsafe equipment sounds like a recipe for injuries. I don't want to be snatching and have the bar come apart on me...

I agree with what Zen said, it was the same way at my school, too. Talk to the strength and conditioning coach.

ZenMonkey
11-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Doing olympic lifts with unsafe equipment sounds like a recipe for injuries. I don't want to be snatching and have the bar come apart on me...

Right, or the sleeves not spin and you break/hurt your wrists.

zbollman
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I use the athlete's gym, and that is the condition it is in. There is no other gym to go to aside from Club Fitness. However, the school has an Oly lifting team. Derrick Johnson is the coach, don't know of any know who he is. The school bought all new Bumper plates, 3 platforms, and 6 very nice bars for the team. I shoot competitively which made it hard to join the team. Now that season is over I'm going to talk to Derrick about lifting while shooting is done.

ZenMonkey
11-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Did you know the Adidas Shooting Shoes are the same as the Adidas WL shoes? Interesting tidbit I picked up recently.