PDA

View Full Version : foot cramps while bulgarian split squats

betog22
11-10-2009, 09:14 PM
ok so im doin the WS4SB 3 and one workout it says to do the bulgarian split squats with front leg elevated...the problemm i have is when im goin down, the back foot feels like its crampin up...i know its weird or is it just me. oh and i have a hard time keepin my balance on my legs, any advice there.? thanks

mdschultze
11-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Have you done regular split squats without either leg elevated? I would suggest going to a simpler form of the exercise until your strength and balance come along then progress. Remember, these programs are set up with the masses in mind so individual tweaking might be needed.

betog22
11-15-2009, 10:08 PM
umm i dont believe that i have...the only squats ive done are the regular ones...

Joe Black
11-16-2009, 01:22 AM
betog22, I have exactly the same problem.. I get cramp in the sole of my foot in every set when doing bulgarian split squats.

Pretty sure mine is related to tight calves or perhaps hamstrings. Do you do any mobility work? If not, try some foam rolling on the hamstrings and calves and see if that helps.

thewicked
11-16-2009, 11:08 AM
first things first..start proximal to the foot (calf) and stretch your way out...

usually foot related cramping is due to tight calves like cloughie suggested...if they dont' tend to release much even after stretching...stretch the hams then stretch the calves AGAIN!

two..look at the positioning of your foot... you're already inducing plantar flexion (pointing your toes) which bunches your calves up... the best thing I've come across to fix this problem for my clients is to MOVE THEM FARTHER OUT AWAY from the elevelated position. This will stretch out your balance points and stance and give you a more stable platform as well as NOT bunching you up as you descend down to the floor. Just hop out abit farther and see if that helps.

Joe Black
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Hopping out further def does help.

thewicked
11-16-2009, 02:57 PM
HAHA this is why I like being an ALN athlete! The dudes that run the business don't just sit behind a desk or booth collecting the cash...they're in the gym slaving away like the rest of us!

betog22
11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
wow thats alot of useful info. thanks alot everybody. tomorrow is DynamicEffort Day so cant wait to try that...ok if i dont have a roller, all i have to do is strtch correctly longer?