PDA

View Full Version : Bench Shirt Question

smitsky
11-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I just saw someone ask the following question in another Forum I post to:

I'm fairly new at the shirt game and started with hd blast shirt from inzer and blew it out down the center.I liked working out in that shirt but didn't get much carry over maybe 30 pounds??I went to the rage x next and wow what a difference.I'm still have trouble touching any tips.I tried 585 negative and still can't touch.I can bench 550 off 2 boards but thats as low as I can get the bar.Its been almost 3 months of board benching but still can't touch and was hoping to start going to bench competitions but whats the point if I can't touch??

I have the same problem: I have two shirts that I can do a 3 or 2 Board Press with, but can't get the shirt to touch. When I try to take it to my chest, no matter how tight I try to grip the bar, I dump it.

I have the following shirts that I'm having problems with:

Size 42 Fury
Size 44 Katana

I can touch light weight in a Size 44 Fury, but I'm only getting like 25 lbs out of the thing, so that's not good either.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and thanks for any help you can offer in advance.

NickAus
11-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Do you have a good arch?

smitsky
11-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Do you have a good arch?

No. Almost Zero. I ordered a device to help increase your arch from LiftingLarge.com called Back Magic to help me. It hurts at even the beginner level :drooling:

Ryano
11-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Touching in a tight bench shirt is all technique. You need to hit up a bench seminar to learn to touch if you don't workout with someone that can teach you. If you have neither of those options you need to post video for critique.

drew
11-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Read Vincent Dizenzo's article called "The Art of Triples" on elitefts.com

And then do triples.

theBarzeen
11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
touching in a shirt is all technique.... I was convinced that my Overkill 2-ply took around 500 to touch with the collar all the way up until I did the bench seminar at Jakked Gym..... Rob and Paul got me to touch with 365

watch a few videos of either of these guys.... with a solid set up, everything tight, and the collar all the way up there is no reason why you couldn't touch.......

lilbigman
11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I struggled touching in my Katana for almost a year, then a buddy of mine told me to wear my shirt while doing reverse band presses. This allowed me to use heavy weight and get used to the groove and that last inch before touching. I did this for two sessions and I started to get used to the groove and it broke my shirt in nice. Now I don't have a problem touching and I recently switched to a Super Katana and was able to touch in only my second time in the shirt. I am always going to break my shirts in using bands!

smitsky
11-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Touching in a tight bench shirt is all technique. You need to hit up a bench seminar to learn to touch if you don't workout with someone that can teach you. If you have neither of those options you need to post video for critique.

Thanks Ryano.

I need to post a video then. I don't have anyone to help me or a seminar to attend.

smitsky
11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Read Vincent Dizenzo's article called "The Art of Triples" on elitefts.com

And then do triples.

Thanks Drew.

I tried that and I just couldn't get it.

I did do a Triple to my chest in my real loose fury though :strong:

robchris
11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I struggled touching in my Katana for almost a year, then a buddy of mine told me to wear my shirt while doing reverse band presses. This allowed me to use heavy weight and get used to the groove and that last inch before touching. I did this for two sessions and I started to get used to the groove and it broke my shirt in nice. Now I don't have a problem touching and I recently switched to a Super Katana and was able to touch in only my second time in the shirt. I am always going to break my shirts in using bands!

Agreed... I did the same w/ my SK & Rage-X. Allows you to handle heavier weight so you can touch, while developing your groove for the shirt.

smitsky
11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
touching in a shirt is all technique.... I was convinced that my Overkill 2-ply took around 500 to touch with the collar all the way up until I did the bench seminar at Jakked Gym..... Rob and Paul got me to touch with 365

watch a few videos of either of these guys.... with a solid set up, everything tight, and the collar all the way up there is no reason why you couldn't touch.......

Thanks. Which videos? I looked for seminar videos. I couldn't find any.

smitsky
11-12-2009, 09:33 PM

I haven't tried that. I will try it! :idea: