PDA

View Full Version : Gear question

cpa5oh
11-11-2009, 07:02 AM
I read this board daily but haven't signed up or posted much...I have a question about single ply gear.

I see that the IPF has to somehow approve single ply gear for use in its competitions. (And I assume in the USAPL you'd have to use gear that the IPF approved.)

There are alot of other federations that allow single ply gear that are not affiliated with the IPF. And there is some gear out there that has a little bit of buzz but that, as far as I know, isn't approved by the IPF (APT's Apex shirt, Overkill's single ply gear.)

Question I have is whether the single ply gear that hasn't been approved by the IPF is allowable in federations other than the USAPL and IPF or if it is kind of standard that, if you're lifting single ply, you're using IPF approved gear only?...which would mean that you basically could only train in the APT shirt or Overkill single ply gear. (Trying to get an Overkill single ply suit sounds appealing to me because it sounds like it's custom made...and the off the rack stuff I have doesn't fit me as well as I'd like.)

drew
11-11-2009, 07:12 AM
I think you're asking if single-ply gear that is NOT approved in the IPF and USAPL is allowed in other feds. And the answer is yes.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
11-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Almost any gear allowed in the IPF or USAPL is allowed in all powerlifting federations. Now, gear allowed in single-ply federations might not be allowed in IPF or USAPL. For example: denim and open back isn't allowed in IPF or USAPL. I suggest check the IPF approved list: http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/Approved-List.51.0.html

theBarzeen
11-11-2009, 07:41 AM
good call on the Overkill single ply....... my wife is using the shirt and loves it......

cpa5oh
11-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I think you're asking if single-ply gear that is NOT approved in the IPF and USAPL is allowed in other feds. And the answer is yes.

That is the question I was asking...I appreciate the response!

So if a non-IPF affiliate says that single ply is allowed, anything single ply qualifies and it doesn't have to have the official IPF approval.

Thanks,
Dan

obrnpwrlftr
11-11-2009, 10:13 AM
cpa5oh,

where are you located? I'm taking a guess that the "oh" in your username is for Ohio?

cpa5oh
11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Pittsburgh PA