PDA

View Full Version : Dextrose or otmeal?

ac585517
11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I want to add exrta carbs to my shake so I've been making protein shakes with ground up oatmeal. Should I use Dextrose instead? I am trying to perfect my post workout shake. It includes:

Milk
Protein powder
Gound up oatmeal
Banana
Peanut Butter

Invain
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
For post workout use dextrose. Also, lose the peanut butter p/wo. If you're looking to get the most out of your p/wo shake any fats will only slow absorption.

SkyeD
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
^^ this is not accurate. The only substance that slows absorption is fiber. Fat, carbs and protein can all be churned at once. Food is turned into a paste in the stomach and doesn't actually become absorbed until it hits the small intestine. Each nutrient takes a different amount of timed to be churned but is simletameously done. The perfect meal includes a serving of all three macro nutrients. HCL denatures the proteins. Lipase from your gallbladder breaks the fat down. Both actions are done together in your stomach brother. I don't know enough about dextrose or oatmeal however to give enough info but based on the fact oatmeal boasts fiber and since fiber decreases absorption, id say go dextrose buddy

Invain
11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
^^ this is not accurate. The only substance that slows absorption is fiber. Fat, carbs and protein can all be churned at once. Food is turned into a paste in the stomach and doesn't actually become absorbed until it hits the small intestine. Each nutrient takes a different amount of timed to be churned but is simletameously done. The perfect meal includes a serving of all three macro nutrients. HCL denatures the proteins. Lipase from your gallbladder breaks the fat down. Both actions are done together in your stomach brother. I don't know enough about dextrose or oatmeal however to give enough info but based on the fact oatmeal boasts fiber and since fiber decreases absorption, id say go dextrose buddy

Fats eaten with a meal lower the meals overall GI. Will eating some peanut butter make that much of a difference? Probably not much. The OP said he wants to make the most out of his P/WO shake however, and if that's the case cutting out fats can help with absorption (albeit the effects are minimal).

"Food is turned into a paste in the stomach and doesn't actually become absorbed until it hits the small intestine."

I've read that fats eaten with a meal can also slow gastric emptying, which would slow down overall digestion. Again, how much of a difference does it really make? A couple minutes longer to empty the gut?

SkyeD
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Where ever did you find this info because my nutrition background would say otherwise. Fat is the second macro nutrient to be absorbed in any case regardless of where its comming from. If you can show me a case study which proves your theory id be very intrested on the read. In addition fat is absorbed through the lymphatic system in the GI tract and protein is not. Protein is absorbed by the blood stream. There absorbed simletameously by two different systems bud lol. Id re asses where you got that info

Invain
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Where ever did you find this info because my nutrition background would say otherwise. Fat is the second macro nutrient to be absorbed in any case regardless of where its comming from. If you can show me a case study which proves your theory id be very intrested on the read. In addition fat is absorbed through the lymphatic system in the GI tract and protein is not. Protein is absorbed by the blood stream. There absorbed simletameously by two different systems bud lol. Id re asses where you got that info

I'll look for some articles later on when I have some time. I know fats delaying gastric emptying is true.

Like I said, I've read that fats lower a meal's GI. Honestly, I don't know if this really effects each macro-nutrient's absorption or not. I have a feeling when they say "meal" they mean once 'everything' is absorbed, regardless of whether carbs are absorbed faster than anything else, etc.

Also, fats, proteins, and carbs are all "absorbed" in the GI tract. The lymphatic system is just a form of transportation for the fatty acids, which will eventually enter the blood stream anyways. Not all fat digested is transported by lymph as well, some of it does go directly to the blood stream like protein.

Mercuryblade
11-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Slow gastric emptying induced by high fat content of meal accelerated by cisapride administered rectally
. Stacher1 , G. V. Granser1, H. Bergmann1, A. Kugi1, G. Stacher-Janotta1 and J. Höbart1

(1) Psychophysiology Unit at the Departments of Psychiatry and Surgery I; Division of Nuclear Medicine of the Department of Medicine II: Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Nuclear Medicine Psychophysiologisches Laboratorium, University of Vienna, Währinger Gürtel 18-20, A-1090 Vienna, Austria

Received: 12 June 1990 Revised: 25 April 1991 Accepted: 29 April 1991

Abstract The evaluation of agents potentially accelerating gastric emptying in gastric stasis syndromes is time-consuming. Since a previous study showed that emptying is slowed after antecedent fat ingestion and intravenous cisapride abolishes this effect, we investigated whether emptying delayed by fat incorporated into a meal is reversed by cisapride and thus could serve as a model for such evaluations. Twelve healthy males received, under double-blind conditions, 30 mg cisapride rectally or placebo, and 3 hr thereafter a semisolid meal of low (9.2 g) or high (37.9 g) fat content. The sequence of combinations placebo/low-fat meal, placebo/high-fat meal, and cisapride/high-fat meal was randomized. Gastric emptying and antral motility were recorded scintigraphically. After placebo/high-fat, emptying was significantly slower (P<0.05) than after placebo/low-fat. After cisapride/high-fat, emptying was significantly faster (P<0.01) than after placebo/high-fat and similar to that after placebo/low-fat. Antral motility was little affected. The slow emptying of a high-fat meal thus seems a suitable model for the evaluation of prokinetic drug effects.

A secondary source from the study, I'm sure someone with a little more gumption could find a study that proves this directly.
Granted, it's an 18 year old abstract now, but everything I've encountered about digestion has suggested that high fat meals slow gastric emptying.

I'm on a medication that I take in the morning, and I can't eat a high fat meal with it because it delays its effectiveness.

Mercuryblade
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I'll look for some articles later on when I have some time. I know fats delaying gastric emptying is true.

Like I said, I've read that fats lower a meal's GI. Honestly, I don't know if this really effects each macro-nutrient's absorption or not. I have a feeling when they say "meal" they mean once 'everything' is absorbed, regardless of whether carbs are absorbed faster than anything else, etc.

Considering absorption takes place in the intestines and not the gut, I would say that yes, anything that slows gastric emptying would not be ideal for someone to consume PWO.

SkyeD
11-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I would say your medicine is perscribed with a low fat diet because it will bind with the lepids and than is not transported directly into the blood stream but rather to the lmyphatic system. Most medications desolve through the inner walls of your stomach. Food however does not work this way. With food no absorbption is done through the stomach. Only vitamins

KramerTM
11-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Back to the original question... can you say what the ratios of your macros are in your PWO shake? Seems like a lot of carbs in there, but not sure how much whey you're putting in.