PDA

View Full Version : pulled hammy 3.5 weeks out

JSully
11-11-2009, 08:49 AM
So, we had a bet at work that my fatass couldn't run a 40yrd dash in under 6flat..

We put it to test, I stretched out for about 10 minutes and went for it. Pulled my hammy about halfway through and finished in 5.6, free cheeseburgers, yeah..

****ty thing is, I've got a meet on 12/5. It's a minor pull. I pulled my left hammy badly before and this isn't anywhere close to the pain.

I haven't sent in my entry form yet. What would you do? Still train, lower intensity and compete.. or just take the meet off and work around the injury till its better?

Also, I can't remember, it's heat right? Cold is for joints right?

WillKuenzel
11-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Cold for immediate injuries. Light work to get the blood flowing to help with recovery. Continue stretching. I'd still enter the meet. It only took about 2 weeks to fully recover from what sounds like a similar pull. RICE. Rest Ice Compression and Elevation.

Iburprofen can help as well put I'd hold off on taking any incase in masks any symptoms that might seem to aggravate it. That way you'll know it's healed.

joey54
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
You can always use cold, but yes heat for the muscle too. Probably can cotrast shower to speed up recovery time Jake. I say take this meet off and look for one in the early spring.

Tom Mutaffis
11-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I would probably skip the meet, or at least wait until you get closer to the event and then make a decision.

Sometimes a muscle strain can heal quickly but you do not want to be doing max-effort lifting if your body is not 100%; especially squatting and deadlifting.

Travis Bell
11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
It's ice for the first 24hrs

Heat after that, although it depends in the injury. Sometimes heat can increase the inflamation

Bob
11-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I think it depends upon your recupertive abilities.. 3.5 weeks is not a lot of time...
I pulled my hammie - level 2 - about 6 weeks out from a strongman comp this fall.. I took did a bunch of rehab (Bill Starr hi rep type).. even took 2 weeks off while on vacation with the kids...
And repulled it worst on the first event... a car DL...
rehab is taking twice as long now...

But I'm a bit of an old man at 44...