Hi Folks,

This is my daily calorie count, I am trying to bulk up slowly

I am 186 pounds 5-10 and my breakdown is this

Calories
Carbs
Protein
Fat

My diet is pretty clean and based on 6 meals per day

Would be grateful if you guys could tell me if im going in the right direction.

Dave

Sean S
11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
It's hard to tell. Their are no hard and fast numbers that say say if you weight 185 and want to gain weight you should eat 4000 calories. Are you gaining weight on this plan? If no, increase the calories another 500 per day and see how that works. If you start gaining weight too fast and there's too much fat gain, scale back.
The bottom line is you have to track your intake and your results at the same time, then you can see what's working and what isn't and adjust accordingly. I think what you have is a decent starting point. Some would say increase the protein, while others might say increase the fat and decrease the carbs, but I would get a handle on your caloric needs first. You can tinker with the macronutrient profile later if you need to fine-tune things.

thecoder0
11-11-2009, 10:25 AM
It's hard to tell. Their are no hard and fast numbers that say say if you weight 185 and want to gain weight you should eat 4000 calories. Are you gaining weight on this plan? If no, increase the calories another 500 per day and see how that works. If you start gaining weight too fast and there's too much fat gain, scale back.
The bottom line is you have to track your intake and your results at the same time, then you can see what's working and what isn't and adjust accordingly. I think what you have is a decent starting point. Some would say increase the protein, while others might say increase the fat and decrease the carbs, but I would get a handle on your caloric needs first. You can tinker with the macronutrient profile later if you need to fine-tune things.

Gainig about 1 pound per week but its only been 2 weeks, I was wondering if the ratio looked about right but as you say I guess everyone is different. I will tweak accordingley as you suggest.

by the way and embarrased to ask but what are the macronutrients ? :scratch:

Thanks for the reply

Dave

Sean S
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Macronutrients typically refer to the protein, carbohydrate, and fat content of a diet. Some will also include water or fluid as a macronutrient. So adjusting the macronutrient profile simply means changing the relative proportions of protein, carbohydrate, and fat in your diet.
Sounds like you have a good start. Just remember as you gain weight, particularly lean mass, it will take more calories just maintain that mass and thus will take more to continue to gain. In other words it will take take more calories for you to gain weight at 220 than 185.