PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for squatting out of a monolift?

Painzer
11-11-2009, 12:09 PM
My meet on Saturday will be using a monolift for squats. I've never used one before, always had to walk out my squats.

How does this affect my set up, my squat numbers, etc.?

What can I expect to be different?

BigTallOx
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I squat more weight with a monolift. My setup isn't all that different, but saving energy by not having to walk it out results in a bigger squat for me. At my last meet, I ended up doubting what I could do because I don't train in a monolift ( I've only squatted from one at meets ), and thus left quit a bit of weight on the platform. I'd say, since you don't train with a monolift, don't do what I did, make your third attempt significantly higher than your current PR.

Beverly McD.
11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
You can still walk it out if you choose. Just tell the head judge when you get to the platform.
With a monolift you break the weight out of the rack in the exact position you intend to squat. No need to reset your feet etc.
Give it a shot in the warm-up room. If it doesn't feel comfortable, I would suggest just walking it out. Generally it's best to lift at a meet the way you trained in the gym.

Detard
11-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree with Beverly, although I squatted an easy 40lb PR in the summer my first time squatting in a monolift.

One thing I can recommend is to get your hips under the bar, and just stand up with it. Make sure your setup is tight and your feet are where you want them from the beginning so you dont waste energy squirming.

Captain_Crunch
11-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Read this article. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/monolifting.htm

Lencho
11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I had never used a monolift going into my first meet. When you get there, you'll have the chance to work on your setup while getting your rack height. This should be enough for you to see that it's really not that difficult to figure out. As said above, just get your feet right and make sure you're far enough under the bar.

I've seen guys walk squats out of a monolift because they say they just weren't used to using one, but it's really nothing you should even be worrying about.

Good luck at your meet.

Chris Rodgers
11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
You can still walk it out if you choose. Just tell the head judge when you get to the platform.
With a monolift you break the weight out of the rack in the exact position you intend to squat. No need to reset your feet etc.
Give it a shot in the warm-up room. If it doesn't feel comfortable, I would suggest just walking it out. Generally it's best to lift at a meet the way you trained in the gym.

This.

Lones Green
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Yup, if you've never squatted on one before, walk it out. Until you get used to it, there's no reason to take the chance to screw yourself up. For some, its no big deal, and for others it messes them up badly. No reason to take the chance IMO!

mastermonster
11-11-2009, 03:32 PM

This! As long as you're warming up on one, you should be able to tell in that time if you'll be comfortable with it or not. As Bev said, if not; just walk it out. Good luck!

BigTallOx
11-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I had never used a monolift going into my first meet. When you get there, you'll have the chance to work on your setup while getting your rack height. This should be enough for you to see that it's really not that difficult to figure out. As said above, just get your feet right and make sure you're far enough under the bar.

I've seen guys walk squats out of a monolift because they say they just weren't used to using one, but it's really nothing you should even be worrying about.

I agree. For me the first time wasn't a big deal at all, I just didn't need to take any steps before squatting ( which makes it easier ). Warming up on the monolift was enough for me to feel comfortable with it.

ScottYard
11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
If your an athlete youll catch on quick. Its easier then walking a weight out so if you can do that fine youll be cool. Just be sure you are under the weight hips wise. Some say to arch the weight out, but in reality just stand straight up. My gym didnt have one for years and everyone made out fine come meet day.

Painzer
11-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Awesome guys! Thanks for all the tips, and especially the article. Big help.

Props to all. Thank you!