PDA

View Full Version : Please check my deadlift form

ChaoticBliss
11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

Just starting doing deadlifts and learned the form off some videos I watched. I was hoping I could get some pointers to make sure I am going them correctly.

Thanks

RVml9xj2NLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVml9xj2NLk

Murph1001
11-11-2009, 09:11 PM
It would be easier if you showed a video of you dead lifting above 80 percent. That is really when the weaknesses stand out. Lots of guys will jump in but just for starters you need to get back on your heels. Imagine you are using your neck to pull back. You are too far forward. You might experience grip problems later on if you continue to wear gloves.

ZenMonkey
11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I 2nd heavier weight.

ChaoticBliss
11-12-2009, 12:15 PM
It would be easier if you showed a video of you dead lifting above 80 percent. That is really when the weaknesses stand out. Lots of guys will jump in but just for starters you need to get back on your heels. Imagine you are using your neck to pull back. You are too far forward. You might experience grip problems later on if you continue to wear gloves.

Most of the stuff I read says to have your shoulders slightly infront the bar which is why I am starting in the position. If I lean back more won't be shoulders be too far back as well?

Thanks

Beverly McD.
11-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Hello CB. My first suggestion would be to lose those shoes you're wearing. They're great for day to day wear or maybe a run around the track. They're terrible for deads or squats. They have too much cushion and "bounce". DL in socks or barefoot if you need to, but lose the shoes.

Get tight before you pull. Think about pushing yourself down against a spring as you squat to the weight.
Try to drive your heels through the floor when you pick the weight up.
Drive your knees out against the inside of your arms as you pull up.

Chris Rodgers
11-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Most of the stuff I read says to have your shoulders slightly infront the bar which is why I am starting in the position. If I lean back more won't be shoulders be too far back as well?

Thanks

This is what they teach for the clean, but for the deadlift you want to have your shoulders slightly back behind the bar. This way you can pull back instead of just up. With a light warmup it won't matter, but as the weight gets heavier it will put you in a better position to pull more weight.

ZenMonkey
11-12-2009, 02:09 PM
This is what they teach for the clean, but for the deadlift you want to have your shoulders slightly back behind the bar. This way you can pull back instead of just up. With a light warmup it won't matter, but as the weight gets heavier it will put you in a better position to pull more weight.

I agree. Rippetoe and SS, on the other hand, do not, which is probably where the OP heard that.

d0rkyd00d
11-14-2009, 09:38 AM
I'd say start with your shins closer to the bar. Also, pinch your shoulder blades together. If you're not doing it with light weight, there's definitely no way you're going to do it with heavier weight, so practice it!

gmen5681
12-03-2009, 04:51 PM
i find it much easier to have my shoulders in front of the bar. the movement feels more natural and quick rather than pulling back like that. i use to have my shoulders back and i ended up using more lower back than legs. after i red starting strength i used his form and its much better. everyone's starting form will be a little different depending on your body style, but the pull and end result should be the same.