PDA

View Full Version : Hook grip users?

WillKuenzel
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
How many do we have?

For those of you that do, do you tape your thumbs at all? I've seen lots of guys that do but I can't ever seem to get any help (more of a hindrance) out of taping them.

Chris Rodgers
11-12-2009, 01:04 PM
How many do we have?

For those of you that do, do you tape your thumbs at all? I've seen lots of guys that do but I can't ever seem to get any help (more of a hindrance) out of taping them.

I had a like a little month stint where I messed with hook grip. We thought it would shorten my ROM a lil since I was missing all my heavy pulls within the last 1" or so from locking. It hurt like hell and as the skin would rip I would tape them up. I got up to 485 in a belt and my PR at the time with mixed grip was 515 in a belt, but I decided to stop because I hated it, lol.

DGabe24
11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I know Layne doesn, might want to try and contact him. He's been doin pretty damn good with it too from the looks of it.

ZenMonkey
11-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I use it when Im doing a heavy O lift. I used to have to tape them but eventually got used to it and developed some sweet thumb callouses.

jefflance1
11-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I've been using hook grip on dead lifts for about a year now. I don't pull as much as a lot of guys do (around 430) but I do like the hook grip. Personally I don't tape my thumbs, they have calloused up like the palms of my hands and I have to shave the callouses down on my thumbs like I do my palms. When I first started using the hook grip it hurt like a b*tch but it seems over time I have either killed nerve endings (which I doubt because I still have full sensation in my thumbs) or gotten used to it.

TravisMash
11-12-2009, 08:04 PM
I use the hook grip and have used it with an 804 pull with no problem! Bro you just got to tough it out for a little while and then the nerve ending kinda die! Then it is smooth sailing! It makes for a much more efficient pull, and it lowers the risk for a torn bicep.

WillKuenzel
11-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I figured it had to be just using it. I didn't know if anybody had tried tape or anything to help get adjusted to it. I've seen oly lifters tape their thumbs and didn't know if there was more of a reason than just a torn callous or if it helped.

Nothing worth having ever came easy.

Hazerboy
11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I've been using hang cleans to get used to them. You can use pretty light weight compared to what you would deadlift, and they're still pretty difficult even with light weights so you still get a good workout. You also don't feel like you're "wasting" part of your workout, which is what I felt like I was doing with doing endless sets of really light deadlifts.

Lones Green
11-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I use a mixed grip, but hook my thumbs on both hands. It works well.

I trained with a guy who got pretty good at the double overhand hook, he could pull 675 or so, then would have trouble dropping it. He did use tape to get used to it.

KarlMarx
11-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Getting used to it is the key. Use it when you can on lighter stuff and then build up to the dl. When I did traps, or bent over rows or in my warmups I used it. Eventually your thumb adapts. Your nerves don't die--you'll still have full feeling, but the thing just gets stronger somehow. But yeah, I think it is much more comfortable to pull that way (I do about 500lbs).

dynamo
11-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Getting used to it is the key. Use it when you can on lighter stuff and then build up to the dl. When I did traps, or bent over rows or in my warmups I used it. Eventually your thumb adapts. Your nerves don't die--you'll still have full feeling, but the thing just gets stronger somehow. But yeah, I think it is much more comfortable to pull that way (I do about 500lbs).

What about that whole thumb dislocating issue? Is that an issue of 'bad form'?

WillKuenzel
11-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I've held 585 with a hook grip. What really gets me is at the top of the lift (pulling sumo) when I complete the lift and my thigh pushes against my thumb and torques it. That's really the most uncomfortable part.

For me, my main issue is that as I pull, the hand that I have an overhand grip with drags up my thighs and my finger nails (no matter how short) dig into my thigh and that opens my hand. I've had better luck pulling with a hook grip because it gives me just enough space between thigh and fingers to keep them from pulling my hand open.

I do find that if I pull with the hook grip, I have an easier time if I only use it with one hand. Two hands are extremely painful but only one hand isn't as bad. I don't know if that's just because only one hand hurts or if an underhand grip with the other hand helps to alleviate pressure on the hook gripped hand.

jthomas
11-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I use the hook grip and have used it with an 804 pull with no problem! Bro you just got to tough it out for a little while and then the nerve ending kinda die! Then it is smooth sailing! It makes for a much more efficient pull, and it lowers the risk for a torn bicep.

I agree wholeheartedly. You have to just "man up". I have tried to get a few people to use it, but they dont like the pain. I do not pull 800, but do pull 705. You stick through the first few weeks then its easy. It does shorten your stroke, mine by about 1.5"

gopostal42
11-14-2009, 07:34 AM
I've held 585 with a hook grip. What really gets me is at the top of the lift (pulling sumo) when I complete the lift and my thigh pushes against my thumb and torques it. That's really the most uncomfortable part.

For me, my main issue is that as I pull, the hand that I have an overhand grip with drags up my thighs and my finger nails (no matter how short) dig into my thigh and that opens my hand. I've had better luck pulling with a hook grip because it gives me just enough space between thigh and fingers to keep them from pulling my hand open.

I do find that if I pull with the hook grip, I have an easier time if I only use it with one hand. Two hands are extremely painful but only one hand isn't as bad. I don't know if that's just because only one hand hurts or if an underhand grip with the other hand helps to alleviate pressure on the hook gripped hand.

i've used hook grip quite a bit and usually do it everytime i pull anything atleast a few times in training to keep used to it. works for some but i don't feel as explosive off the floor with it. i can hold as much either way but when i pull sumo it does tend to get caught on my thighs above the knee and open it up. i also use minimal tape.

endymion88
11-14-2009, 11:28 AM
this post has me fairly interested in using a hook grip that stuff hurts though...although the idea of 1.5inches off my stroke is a bright one :)

abbcccxyyzzz
11-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I used a hook grip in a contest a year ago and notice I was more explosive. But I trained grip this year and did not need to use a hook grip this year. The pain in the thumbs subsides after about a week of using it.

Blenderate
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
I have been using a hook grip ever since my elbow surgeries earlier this year. The grip strength in my left hand hasn't come back all the way yet, so I have to hook in order to hold on to my weights. I adjusted to it pretty quickly; it only took about a month before I wasn't screaming in pain at the end of every set. I did rack pull holds for time to get used to it faster.

Judas
11-15-2009, 06:10 AM
I obviously use it for weightlifting, but haven't tried it yet for heavy deadlifts. It only shortens my deadlift ROM about 1" though (small hands). Still worth it and still the best way to go. I just dont deadlift anymore...

Captain_Crunch
11-15-2009, 11:18 AM
I use it all the time now. Takes a while to get used to, like Travis mentioned, but you just have to stick it out while it's painfull. You will get used to it. I have tried taping but it seems to hurt the grip more than help.

endymion88
11-15-2009, 01:12 PM
can you get an explosive set up with it? sometimes i like to grip n rip and i'm unsure how fast someone could set up with a hook

Insane
11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
i usually use hook grip..

Judas
11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
can you get an explosive set up with it? sometimes i like to grip n rip and i'm unsure how fast someone could set up with a hook

Thats pretty much the whole idea behind it. Remember, this grip is how those olympic beasts rip near 600lbs high enough to squat under it...

And yes, i've seen lifters grip and rip with the hook, as quickly as they would without it.

SGT ROCK
11-15-2009, 10:12 PM
I have done over 700 officially with the hook grip. I do NOT reccomend tape. Much better to let the callouses develop in that area of the hand. The best Hook grip guys that I have talked to, including Brad Gillingham, do NOT use tape in a contest, and in training ONLY if there is a severe tear, where many will use STRAPS for that ONE workout only.

Semper Fi

str8flexed
11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm a bit different than most people here but this is what has worked for me.

Keep in mind my hands are made to hook. The first time I ever tried it I pulled 585 easy and it didn't hurt my thumbs at all. I've since pulled PRs of 645, 660, 675, & 690 with a hook grip.

PERSONALLY, I use the hook grip as LITTLE as possible when I'm training. My grip has never been a problem and I find that the more i use the hook grip the less effective it becomes because the skin around the groove between my thumb & index finger becomes calloused and hard and makes it harder to hold onto the bar. I've found that when the skin is soft & pliable it makes it much easier for me to grip the bar; especially when I'm using chalk. So it may sound weird, but the only time I ever use it is at a meet and then I train with straps the rest of the time.

In order to make sure my grip stays strong, when I warm up on deads I use a double overhand grip (no hook) for as many sets as I can during my warm ups.

Again, not saying this is the right way to do it; this is just what has worked for me

IronDiggy
11-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Played around with it a bit as I have smallish hands. However I found I can't get my thumb under my fingers enough to make a difference. I just ended up dropping the weight and tearing up my thumb.