PDA

View Full Version : Breathing when benching

EmptyBarbell
11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
How should my breathing technique be when benching to best utilize my strength?.. for example.. when I trained in martial arts I would exhale upon the last 2 inches of a strike or when kicking to tighten my muscles for full contraction and maximize effort..... when I bench. should I take a huge deep breath upon taking the lift-off? then hold it until I touch and right as I begin my upward movement rapidly blow out to contract my muscles tighter?... OR should I keep that deep breath and hold it throw-out my lift?
Thanks for any feedback!

OGROK
11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Take a deep breath, lift off and then hold it until the end of the repetition. This will create intra-abdominal pressure which will reinforce your arch and thus give you greater stability on the bench.

EmptyBarbell
11-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Ok...so I need to take as large a breath as I can perhaps? then keep that constant breath inside until I have came down... touched and then pushed the weight back up to lockout?...

sambone
11-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I like to take a deep breath as the bar is being handed out to me and hold it until the end of my rep.

EmptyBarbell
11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks!..I guess my thoughts were incorrect ... Thanks for the good tips!.. I was still thinking of my martial arts training days.. duh!... I'll give these new recommendations a try my next benching day!...thank you!

sambone
11-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh and try to hold the air in your belly and not in your face. I have a bad habit of doing that, and trust me you do not want to walk around looking like I do right now.

EmptyBarbell
11-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Ok. thank you for the good advice!.. although holding air in my face.. haha.. isn't going to hurt my looks!.. then again.. the last thing I really need is a larger midsection compliments of a big gasp of air too!.. haha

OGROK
11-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Ok...so I need to take as large a breath as I can perhaps? then keep that constant breath inside until I have came down... touched and then pushed the weight back up to lockout?...

Yes.

drew
11-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Breathe once the bar is back in the racks.

tnathletics2b
11-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Breathe once the bar is back in the racks.

Stellar advice :)

EmptyBarbell
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the great advice!.I'll try it tomorrow when I bench.

SEOINAGE
11-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I struggle to hold my arch if I go for too big a breath, but if I get a huge breath and then set my arch then do the lift, it is a little too long, something I guess I need to practice if you are able to breathe after set in place and then unrack the bar.