PDA

View Full Version : How about a new squat PR!

mr handy
11-13-2009, 02:56 PM
New PR for me 285. :clap:
Worked out last night and hit 275. Decided to give it a go this afternoon because I felt like I had more in the tank. 285, failed at the first attempt, but got the second. I think I drove a little to quick from the bottom and didn't keep my chest up but this was tough. I think I got nice a deep.
Take a look and let me know what I can do better.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/handyandy3459/th_100_0469.jpg (http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/handyandy3459/?action=view&current=100_0469.flv)

Painzer
11-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Nice job. You get pretty sloppy at the bottom. Try to stay tighter and get your chest out and head up when you drive out of the hole. That's all from me. Hopefully a few of the more experienced guys will give you a few critiques.

mr handy
11-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks Painzer. I was watching a few of the other squats I did leading up to this one and it looks like the heavier I go the more I want to drop my head on the way up. I think focusing on head up will help. I also think that when trying to get deep I tend to tuck my hips and thus loose tension in my back, which lets me drop and round a bit.

I think I need to focusing on getting deeper by lowering my body as a whole and not just focusing on my hips. I think thats what killed my form at the bottom.

byronsru24
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Dont' rush your setup like you did. You weren't tight from the getgo. As far as your arch....you didn't have one. You were looking down at the floor almost the whole time. The body follows the head. And with you looking down like that, I don't know how you didn't dump it. Keep that head up, and chest up and keep that back arched. Also, work on forcing your ass BACK. Of course, if you just hit 95% of your max last night, going for a PR the next day isn't a good idea, but at this point you could probably get away with it.

mr handy
11-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot, I will really work on it.

As far as trying for the PR today, I know it was not the best idea, but I had to give it a try... I think from this point forward I will not be trying to test like this, and I will dedicate a workout to hitting my max, and not do it when I should be resting.

d0rkyd00d
11-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Great effort bro, congrats!

Like the others said, I think keeping your chest up will fix a lot of the issue, as it will cause your back angle will be closer to 45 degrees as opposed to 60 or 75.

Also, focus on "Flexing" your lower back to get that nice arch and hold it.

Either way, it's easy for form to break down with really heavy weight, so congrats!

mr handy
11-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks all. I will keep working on the form and keeping my chest up.
I figured posting me lifting my max would be more benificial then lifting 50-60% as it would show my weaknesses... which I think I have achieved that.

AKMass
11-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow I thought your body was gonna snap in half at the bottom. You definitely GMed out of the hole. Puttin up nice weight for your size though.

mr handy
11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks, form is a work in progress but is getting better then this every workout is seems.
I know it's getting better because my knees and back don't complane as much now, and squats seem to keep getting easier even though the weight keeps going up.