PDA

View Full Version : Whats the banana craze?

Behemoth
04-28-2002, 12:23 PM
I was just wondering why it seems that everyone eat banana's more than any other fruit, like people are always putting em in their protein shakes and stuff. From what I can tell from fitday, they don't seem to be the ideal fruit, fairly low fiber for a fruit, high suger. Maybe I'm wrong, any help?

Celestial
04-28-2002, 12:39 PM
Yeah but it does have potasium which is good for ya, specially if you suffer from muscle aches/ charley horses...LOL

They are conveinent as well!

codei
04-28-2002, 07:04 PM
because bananas are cheap and they go well with strawberry and even chocolate protein powder.

steelhdman
04-29-2002, 11:54 AM
banannas make protein shakes taste goooood! Vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, gotta keep messing with the taste of shakes if you dont want to get tired of them and banannas do the trick.

sweet-physique
04-29-2002, 12:20 PM
Try this with vanilla or chocolate whey;
add some ground cinnamon {sometimes nutmeg,} before you add the liquid (milk or water, don't try this with juice !!!) Works best with a blender and ice

if you take vanilla whey mixed with orange juice and ice in a blender that's a different tast also but due to the high fructose only do this combo immediatley post workout. tastes a little like an orange julius from the mall

Reinier
04-29-2002, 12:35 PM
fruit in general = crappy foods. sugar, water, vitamins, little fibre

sugar perhaps a bit p/w, better kinds available
water better just get the real thing
vitamins we supplement with em
little fibre id rather get that from veggies or whatever. easier too.

David
04-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
fruit in general = crappy foods. sugar, water, vitamins, little fibre

sugar perhaps a bit p/w, better kinds available
water better just get the real thing
vitamins we supplement with em
little fibre id rather get that from veggies or whatever. easier too.

Fruit is good for you.

Sugar is sugar, I don't tihnk it matters where it comes from.

It's better to get vitamins from food rather than to rely solely on supplements.

Fiber: Depends on what types of fruit. Prunes have a shitload of fiber.

plornive
04-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Bananas are relatively starchy for a fruit. They are good to eat a while before a workout or possibly post workout. Other than that, it is better to eat some low-GI starchy carbs, IMO.

Shocker
04-29-2002, 06:17 PM
fruit can be digested in around 30 mins and I always eat it on an empty stomach, otherwise it ferments and you break good wind.

Podium Kreatin
04-30-2002, 05:38 AM
TripleP, where the sugar comes from does matter. Fruit sugars (fructose) are good for instant energy, b/c they don't trigger any insulin response and won't get u fat like other simple sugars. sucrose comes from the shoot or somewhere else i think (sugar cane), forgot which, and starches and complex carbs come usually from teh root of the plant (potato). the thing about bananas have fructose and complx carbs, whcih make it convenient for energy. the potassium thing is a lot better tahn what ppl think, but i forgot how much was in it (a great %dv i rememmber at least)