PDA

View Full Version : How to get inhuman strong abs

shutUpAndSquat
11-14-2009, 11:24 AM
since abs are the most important muscle in PL (allow me to say that) i was wondering how to improve my abs workouts, so to achieve the ultimate goal of having inhuman strong abs.

Currently i just do 3x8 of weighted sit-ups or weighted side bends twice a week. I change bench inclination, i try to use more weight week by week, but really there's no plan. No consciousness.

What kind of abs work are you doing in order to get really powerful abs? Is it enough what i'm currently doing? Should i go for more sets (maybe 5x6). Should i just care about adding weight? How much rest between sets matters in abs training? Currently i'm resting 15seconds between sets.

Just to be clear, i'm not asking how to obtain nice abs to show at the beach, i'm talking about abs strength, and how to improve their ability to help in main lifts.
Also, how much an imbalance in low back strength can be detrimental to the development of abs power? Are these two aspects to always be trained side by side?

:ninja:

endymion88
11-14-2009, 11:29 AM
i <3 the ab roller while standing..

shutUpAndSquat
11-14-2009, 12:13 PM

ok. but how to plan for stronger abs?

dynamo
11-14-2009, 12:35 PM
The best ab workouts I've gotten have been squatting heavy and deadlifting heavy. If I were to do direct ab work I'd probably do weighted leg raises and heavy ass good mornings.

Lones Green
11-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Use the search function, we had a pretty good list going not 2 weeks ago on this subject, in the same forum.

My favorites are hangman abs with a band, situps on a yoga ball, and a standing ab movement Lou showed me

Hazerboy
11-14-2009, 01:17 PM

second. If you can do a full standing ab roller you're a badass.

I feel like you should also have a combination of isometric ab exercises (ab wheel rollouts, planks, renegade rows, etc) and dynamic movements (hanging leg raises, weighted situps, cable pulldowns, etc.)

ZenMonkey
11-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Holding lots of weight overhead (from a jerk) really gets my core. OH Squats do too. I used to do weighted situps w/ a 100lb DB but I dont think I got any real benefit from it besides being able to do heavy situps.

dynamo
11-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Holding lots of weight overhead (from a jerk) really gets my core. OH Squats do too. I used to do weighted situps w/ a 100lb DB but I dont think I got any real benefit from it besides being able to do heavy situps.

I did snatches for the first time last night and some overheady full squats, it really demolished my core and I was only using 95lbs, it hit my shoulders and traps pretty hard too.

Sean S
11-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Just add weight to the exercises you are doing and rest longer. Resting 15 seconds between sets isn't optimal for strength development. You wouldn't take rest periods that short if you were trying to maximize strength in any other lift.

mastermonster
11-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Just add weight to the exercises you are doing and rest longer. Resting 15 seconds between sets isn't optimal for strength development. You wouldn't take rest periods that short if you were trying to maximize strength in any other lift.

Agree pretty much here. I do 3 sets of heavy ab machine crunches for 10-15 reps just because the machine is quick and handy. I'll switch to weighted situps on a bench when we get the new gym up and going and keep it heavy and lower reps. Definately a little more rest. I usually go back and forth (slow superset) between the ab machine and calf raises at a casual pace. So I'm resting abs at least a couple of minutes between sets.

Definately make sure your low back and abs development are balanced or you're setting up an injury later. I don't train abs and low back on the same day neccessarily though. O.K. either way I think.

abbcccxyyzzz
11-14-2009, 08:11 PM
YOUR IN LUCK YOUNG MAN!!

Here is what I recommend, which gave me inhumane abb strength!!

I do a three-day cycle:
Day 1: heavy upper, and lighter lower abbs
Day 2: Heavy lower abbs, lighter upper
Day 3: Heavy obliques, lighter upper + lower

Day 1:
Zercher decline sit-ups (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-58SbMsKSM) and go really heavy. I did two sets 12, and 6 (not including warm-ups
Then do some kind of lower abb movement for 3 sets of 20 reps (increase reps every time)

Day 2:
Weighted lower abb knee-ups (put a EZ curl bar on the top of your feet) Two sets of 12, then 6.
Crunches with feet braced (3 sets of 20, then increase from there)

Day 3:
Russian twist with a t-bar in the corner (two sets 12, 6)
Then do some upper and lower abb supersets or whatever you like. Just increase it every time you do this workout.

These workout should not take more than 10 minutes, max and give you CRAZY abb strength!!
Here is my results of doing this for 1 month this previous summer
Zercher decline: 455 lbs x 5 reps
Weighted-abb knee ups: 200 lbs x 8
Russian Twist: 180 lbs x 5 (not counting the bar)

If there are any Q's, let me know. BEST OF LUCK!!!!!

Im glad you recognize ab strength is where its at!!!

Shoots!

shutUpAndSquat
11-15-2009, 05:46 AM
YOUR IN LUCK YOUNG MAN!!

Here is what I recommend, which gave me inhumane abb strength!!

I do a three-day cycle:
Day 1: heavy upper, and lighter lower abbs
Day 2: Heavy lower abbs, lighter upper
Day 3: Heavy obliques, lighter upper + lower

Day 1:
Zercher decline sit-ups (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-58SbMsKSM) and go really heavy. I did two sets 12, and 6 (not including warm-ups
Then do some kind of lower abb movement for 3 sets of 20 reps (increase reps every time)

Day 2:
Weighted lower abb knee-ups (put a EZ curl bar on the top of your feet) Two sets of 12, then 6.
Crunches with feet braced (3 sets of 20, then increase from there)

Day 3:
Russian twist with a t-bar in the corner (two sets 12, 6)
Then do some upper and lower abb supersets or whatever you like. Just increase it every time you do this workout.

These workout should not take more than 10 minutes, max and give you CRAZY abb strength!!
Here is my results of doing this for 1 month this previous summer
Zercher decline: 455 lbs x 5 reps
Weighted-abb knee ups: 200 lbs x 8
Russian Twist: 180 lbs x 5 (not counting the bar)

If there are any Q's, let me know. BEST OF LUCK!!!!!

Im glad you recognize ab strength is where its at!!!

Shoots!

this is definitely an aggressive approach!! :ninja:

theBarzeen
11-15-2009, 07:37 AM
I'll second the ab-roller...... doing a bunch of reps on your knees is a good start but if you can do it on your toes your abs are strong enough....... I'm more afraid of that wheel on a stick than I am a 900# squat.....

Brian999
11-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Where can you purchase an ab roller?

endymion88
11-15-2009, 01:16 PM
can get an ab roller at basically any store kmart walmart target etc in the weights area or any sportsstore. 10-20 dollars.

endymion88
11-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I'll second the ab-roller...... doing a bunch of reps on your knees is a good start but if you can do it on your toes your abs are strong enough....... I'm more afraid of that wheel on a stick than I am a 900# squat.....

i'm scared of doing ab rollers at the low 200's i can't imagine how frightened i'd be weighing 308 lol!

abbcccxyyzzz
11-20-2009, 02:07 AM
this is definitely an aggressive approach!! :ninja:

I know. ABs are like any other muscle and they need to be blasted! haha

I find it funny that my one ab workout (abou ~10 minutes) could be 3x more intense than any other bystander at the gym! haha

No wonder I got kicked out of 4 gyms in my life!!! (and Im only 21!)

Rugby Dad
11-20-2009, 03:41 PM
can get an ab roller at basically any store kmart walmart target etc in the weights area or any sportsstore. 10-20 dollars.

if you wanna spring for a bit more $$$ get the power wheel.
kinda like the ab roller but it works mostly from the other end, i.e. your feet are strapped onto the wheel instead of your hands. Very brutal.

KarstenDD
11-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey! This. (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/1100lb_abs.htm)

Auburn
11-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Hips-high TGUs, ab wheel, planks, clean-grip OHS, windmills, knees to elbows, L-sits, and then the old standby: squat (especially front), deadlift, farmer's walks, slosh pipe, etc.

There are tons of possibilities. I don't really the point in training the torso any differently than any other part of the body.

shutUpAndSquat
11-22-2009, 03:06 AM

very good link.

abbcccxyyzzz
11-22-2009, 03:51 AM

I do not want to be dicks, but that 1100 lb squatter man trains his abs pretty half-ass.

Clifford Gillmore
11-22-2009, 03:55 AM
I do not want to be dicks, but that 1100 lb squatter man trains his abs pretty half-ass.

Yeah, Wenning doesn't know what he is doing at all.

Seriously dude, Matt is just doing is own thing - it obviously works.

Lones Green
11-22-2009, 08:25 AM

He does 200 reps of abs every night.

And all of those exercises listed are pretty challenging.

To be honest with you, I've never seen someone use such an aggressive approach towards abs like the one listed. Louie Simmons does nothing like that, he does stuff more like that Wenning article.

I train with some stupid strong guys, 800 and 900 squatters, and they all do abs twice a week for 3 sets of about 10-15.

IMO there's no reason to do 1-5 rep maxes on abs and what not

Sean S
11-22-2009, 10:45 AM

You realize that he does more than just the daily high-rep stuff right? It also said he does heavier ab exercises a couple times a week.
I'm confident he knows what he is doing.

SELK
11-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a > 800lbs squat and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have trained abs directly.

There are tons of different ways to do things, some guys train abs heavy all the time and get good results while others can get away with less. Find what works.

Fuzzy
12-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Not as many 'just do squats and deadlift' replies as I had imagined.

Weighted ab bridges for 60 or so seconds with a good amount of weight on your lower back. Weighted sit ups, and you can also do crunches whilst holding a plate at arms length.

Ab throws are also great. Lie on your back, and have someone stand with their legs on either side of your head facing your feet. Grab onto their calves. Raise your legs staright and try to kick the person, and have them push your lags back down all the while you try to resist.

Barbaccio
12-03-2009, 05:57 AM
Easiest way is just to be born inhuman.

SELK is right, some guys can get away with alot less than others. It all depends on where your weak.

Guido
12-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Not as many 'just do squats and deadlift' replies as I had imagined.

Weighted ab bridges for 60 or so seconds with a good amount of weight on your lower back. Weighted sit ups, and you can also do crunches whilst holding a plate at arms length.

Ab throws are also great. Lie on your back, and have someone stand with their legs on either side of your head facing your feet. Grab onto their calves. Raise your legs staright and try to kick the person, and have them push your lags back down all the while you try to resist.The leg throws with a partner are fun and they do work fairly well. Weighted decline situps or crunches work quite well, though it can be hard to hold an 80lb DB on your chest after a while like that. My personal favorite movement for abs is ab rollouts with an ab wheel. Those things are killer and supposedly are the most functional movemetn you can do for them.

endymion88
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
The leg throws with a partner are fun and they do work fairly well. Weighted decline situps or crunches work quite well, though it can be hard to hold an 80lb DB on your chest after a while like that. My personal favorite movement for abs is ab rollouts with an ab wheel. Those things are killer and supposedly are the most functional movemetn you can do for them.

guido my man we agree on something ab roller. the wheel of death is my favorite movement