PDA

View Full Version : Sore stomach after eating. Too much protein?

greemah
11-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Sometimes after I eat breakfast (two eggs, glass of milk, protein shake) and after I have my almond snacks I get a bit of a sore stomach. Doesn't last long, but just figure it shouldn't be happening.

I weigh 187lbs (85kg) and have a bit over 200g protein a day. Is that too much? I am cutting by the way if that makes a difference

SkyeD
11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Look up protein synthesis, atp and muscle growth. The recommended amt of protein is 1.8g to 2.0 at highest for every pound of your body weight in kilograms. Now tell me why you think you need that much damn protein. **** bro lol. The rda for a normal person is 68g a day. Why you do need 200g

ZenMonkey
11-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Look up protein synthesis, atp and muscle growth. The recommended amt of protein is 1.8g to 2.0 at highest for every pound of your body weight in kilograms. Now tell me why you think you need that much damn protein. **** bro lol. The rda for a normal person is 68g a day. Why you do need 200g

200 is fine and 68 is a joke. We are not normal people... we do things normal people dont and thereby do not eat as normal people do.

If one is on a strict diet, what else are you supposed to eat? Say you meet 200 grams of protein and still have 500 calories left in your diet... you are implying that we must eat carbs or fat... that makes no sense. There was a recent study/article on this... Im sure its around here somewhere.

skinny99
11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Lactose issue? Has milk/dairy ever been an issue? Just lookin for an easy answer!

Clover
11-15-2009, 08:04 PM

What does that mean?? Most people on this site eat over 1 gram of protein per pound.

Sean S
11-15-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm sure he's referring to grams per kg. At 1 g per pound it comes out to 2.2 g/kg since there are 2.2 lbs per kg. So 1 g/lb. and 1.8-2.0 g/kg aren't massively different.

SkyeD
11-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Me and sean have hashed this issue out and he respectivly helped me to change my mind from 1.4 max to 2.0 max in kgs of body weight. Someone who weighs 187 pounds does not need 200g of protein. Sorry he just doesn't. I eat 158 daily without a supplement and do fine. I think its un necessary. If I'm 500 calories short I eat a slice of pound cake. 7g protein and 64g of carbs. Just my opinion zen. If he weighed 210id respectivly change my stance but he is light.

VikingWarlord
11-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Greemah, what do you mean by "sore stomach"? Nausea? Gas? Gonna **** yourself?

The rda for a normal person is 68g a day.

Thanks! The fact that you just quoted the RDA means that I can skip over everything you'll ever say. Saves some time.

Beverly McD.
11-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Anything like this greemah?

Diverticulitis -

Symptoms of diverticulitis may last from a few hours to several days. These symptoms may include:

Tenderness, cramps, or pain in the abdomen (usually in the lower left side but may occur on the right) that is sometimes worse when you move.
Fever and chills.
A bloated feeling, abdominal swelling, or gas.
Diarrhea or constipation.
Nausea and sometimes vomiting.
Loss of appetite.

ZenMonkey
11-16-2009, 08:17 AM
If I'm 500 calories short I eat a slice of pound cake. 7g protein and 64g of carbs

And this is why you can only expect mediocre results when on a strict diet.

AKMass
11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
To the OP, is it just an upset stomach? That is you might feel like you need to vomit for a short time? I get this almost every morning after breakfast...I dont think it's anything to worry about, many people have reported the same thing.

greemah
11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your replies all

Lactose issue? Has milk/dairy ever been an issue? Just lookin for an easy answer!

Nope I could have dairy all day without problems

Greemah, what do you mean by "sore stomach"? Nausea? Gas? Gonna **** yourself?

Just a slight uncomfortable pain in my lower stomach. I basically just ignore it as it's so small, but I just figure there must be an issue with my diet as this didn't used to happen

Anything like this greemah?

Diverticulitis -

Symptoms of diverticulitis may last from a few hours to several days. These symptoms may include:

Tenderness, cramps, or pain in the abdomen (usually in the lower left side but may occur on the right) that is sometimes worse when you move.
Fever and chills.
A bloated feeling, abdominal swelling, or gas.
Diarrhea or constipation.
Nausea and sometimes vomiting.
Loss of appetite.

Sounds like it might be a very mild version of that :/. Looked it up and it could be lack of fiber. I think I have around 20g a day or so. How much fiber does everyone else get daily?

To the OP, is it just an upset stomach? That is you might feel like you need to vomit for a short time? I get this almost every morning after breakfast...I dont think it's anything to worry about, many people have reported the same thing.

Doesn't sound like this, definately don't get a vomit feeling

skinny99
11-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Shoot sometimes protein shakes just bloat my stomach up and make it "sore" for a little while!

Beverly McD.
11-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Women are supposed to shoot for 25-35 grams of fiber per day. Not sure about men, but probably in that same ballpark.

VikingWarlord
11-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Women are supposed to shoot for 25-35 grams of fiber per day. Not sure about men, but probably in that same ballpark.

Generally, yeah. Eat more leafy greens and see if that helps.

Then again, it sounds like gas because you say it doesn't last long. Sometimes people get gassy when significantly boosting protein intake.

greemah
11-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Then again, it sounds like gas because you say it doesn't last long. Sometimes people get gassy when significantly boosting protein intake.

If that's the case is that a bad thing or ok?

Deusomega
11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
If that's the case is that a bad thing or ok?

I'm pretty sure more gas is always a bad thing lol. If you mean is it a sign of something bad then no it sounds pretty normal for some people.

VikingWarlord
11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
It's not going to be detrimental to your progress or anything, it just hurts and sucks for a few minutes. Most people eventually adjust to it. If, however, it has to do with lactose intolerance, that's another issue altogether. My brother's lactose intolerant and his descriptions sound similar to the gas people get from switching to high protein diets.

Clover
11-17-2009, 09:38 PM

I get this. If I eat right after I get up, say under 1 hour, I feel really sick to my stomach.

thecoder0
11-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Oh yes to the above ....I have wind like you wouldnt beleive when im taking in lots of protein particularly Milk lol

andrewj
11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Oh yes to the above ....I have wind like you wouldnt beleive when im taking in lots of protein particularly Milk lol

Then you are eating too much protein. Farting away and/or a sore stomach is not something to ignore.

Cut down on the milk, I personally don't get the gomad way of thinking. "Drink 1 gallon of milk a day and gain 25lbs in a month" Come on, so a 5'5" 120lbs guy is suppose to drink as much as a 6'3" 190lbs guy? To vague a "science" for me. Its mainly fat you'll gain and yes: you'll feel great after the month is up cause you're done over-stuffing yourself! The body is not meant to take on that kind of weight in such a short span. Logical thinking and not a diploma is all that is required. Basically, listen to your body, it's trying to tell you something.