PDA

View Full Version : need someone who can do alterations on equip.

jonrock
11-16-2009, 06:31 AM
i have a pair of briefs i need shortened, got a price quote from ginny and she want more than the briefs are worth. does anyone have a respectable tailor who can do alterations easily on multi ply gear who does not want anarm and a leg for doing it?????

Barbaccio
11-16-2009, 07:06 AM
You can't use Kathy for this one Jon?

Travis Bell
11-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Any seamstress that has an industrial sewing machine can do it (because they need to use very heavy thread)

You might try and upholstry shop, just so long as they use the heaviest thread they have so they don't tear.

MarcusWild
11-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Your best bet is to find someone local. If not, then the shipping alone can get expensive.

chrisa1
11-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Like travis said, any seamstress with an industrial strength machine and heavy duty thread can handle it. If its a major alteration (taking in/changing the shape of the chestplate or neckline) you'd still be best to send it to someone like Ginny who specializes in PL gear. For simple things like having the sides of a suit let in/out or what not, you can definitely do it local. At my gym we actually take ours to a leather shop that specializes in the fetish market. theyve done my coach's SDP sleeves, my preds and a bunch of suits for us with no problems. The side seams of my Preds are actually thicker and more reinforced now than they were stock

theBarzeen
11-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Go to any tailoring shop, shoe repair shop, or upholstery store and ask them to get on it. Describe in detail what you want and ask them to run #69 nylon thread. That's what most gear companies are using, it won't rip. Depending on the gear you could run it in your home machine with a #20 needle as long as it's nothing major. Thick fabric like Metal's laminated stuff is too much and you'll have to use a shop...... or do what I did and just buy an old industrial machine... $300 later and I can adjust my gear however I feel like......

BigTallOx
11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
For simple things like having the sides of a suit let in/out or what not, you can definitely do it local.

I had my squat suit's sides taken in by a local seamstress. She said she used to strongest thread available, but I blew out the seam squatting last night. I'm thinking I'll try an upholstery shop next.

chrisa1
11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
I had my squat suit's sides taken in by a local seamstress. She said she used to strongest thread available, but I blew out the seam squatting last night. I'm thinking I'll try an upholstery shop next.

I had a single ply suit blow out the side when i had it taken in by a regular seamstress, actually with the same situation as yours. an upholstery shop would probably be able to do it, i still swear by the place i mentioned before. it might be a little weird, but one look at some of the things there...they're likely dealing with stresses being put on the fabrics that are very similar to what our gear goes thru... which is horrifying on some level, but also means they'd be able to make it work.

vdizenzo
11-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I just sent a shirt out to Ginny. I'm curious to see her work. I have heard nothing but good things. Seemed a tad pricey, but it will be worth it if the alteration is worry free.

Travis Bell
11-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I just sent a shirt out to Ginny. I'm curious to see her work. I have heard nothing but good things. Seemed a tad pricey, but it will be worth it if the alteration is worry free.

Ginny does work very well and very quickly. I don't think you'll be dissapointed at all.

ScottYard
11-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Ginny all the way

I have had a few things done by her in the past. In one instance the material of the shirt tore but her seems and thread did not.

She did a few of my Ace Squat suits and they all held up for 2 years+

Its one of those things where cheap isnt the best route. spend the extra bucks and know its right and most importantly, its safe