PDA

View Full Version : Belt squats

blownby
11-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Anyone have any ideas how one can do belt squat or buy a harness to do these w/o having a belt squat machine

I have seen this:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1220

any other ideas or links....Thanks

Detard
11-16-2009, 11:08 AM
PldcPTOACm4

blownby
11-16-2009, 11:12 AM
awesome....i guess i need to clear upo the question.

Where can i get the belts, or something similiar to the link i attached. Or is this belt a lot better or comfortable than a dip belt?

Off Road
11-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Ironmind sells a hip belt.

blownby
11-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Ironmind sells a hip belt.

Thanks, but that was the link i provided....LOL

Looking for alternatives for this $120 or if the $120 is definitly worth it opposed to a dip belt. I already have the assemly to hold the weights and hook it too as seen in the youtube vid detard provided.

cpa5oh
11-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I have Spud Inc's belt squat belt...it's heavy duty and comfortable, too. $75 at Elite.

Then I got a loading pin and carabiner from New York Barbells...need a pretty long one unless you plan on doing sets of 20 or something.

And finally, for platforms I bought 8 cinder blocks...setup two going one way, two going the other on each side and the pin/weights goes down in between them. It's very stable.

Only two problems...you have to go out at least as wide as a 45 lb plate and probably just a little bit wider. Can't go narrow stance with this setup. Second problem is that it isn't real easy to get hooked up/unhooked to/from the loading pin...but it is manageable.

With the Ironmind belt you can hook up to a barbell which would allow you to go more narrow...problem is you'd have to be very concerned with balancing that bar while you're squatting, and I decided going wide was better than balancing a bar...you have to decide which compromise you want to deal with.

I don't know if that helped or not...I have experience with this kind of setup so I figured I'd try and help.

blownby
11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
I have Spud Inc's belt squat belt...it's heavy duty and comfortable, too. $75 at Elite.

Then I got a loading pin and carabiner from New York Barbells...need a pretty long one unless you plan on doing sets of 20 or something.

And finally, for platforms I bought 8 cinder blocks...setup two going one way, two going the other on each side and the pin/weights goes down in between them. It's very stable.

Only two problems...you have to go out at least as wide as a 45 lb plate and probably just a little bit wider. Can't go narrow stance with this setup. Second problem is that it isn't real easy to get hooked up/unhooked to/from the loading pin...but it is manageable.

With the Ironmind belt you can hook up to a barbell which would allow you to go more narrow...problem is you'd have to be very concerned with balancing that bar while you're squatting, and I decided going wide was better than balancing a bar...you have to decide which compromise you want to deal with.

I don't know if that helped or not...I have experience with this kind of setup so I figured I'd try and help.

Awesome...just what i was looking for!

Thanks

Andre518
11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Could you use a dip belt? or would that be different?

cpa5oh
11-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Could you use a dip belt? or would that be different?

Not sure a dip belt is made to handle the kind of weights that can be used doing belt squats...and if it has chain or is leather I can see how that would be real uncomfortable.

BFGUITAR
11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Do you guys find this actually helps with your squat? Does it really add the poundage? Or is it simply another way to hit your legs.

geoffsherman
11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Do you guys find this actually helps with your squat? Does it really add the poundage? Or is it simply another way to hit your legs.

I can see how it would help some people. I didn't get much out of the movement myself so I dropped it. I would try it for a few cycles and see if your lifts go up.

Off Road
11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I've used the dip belt before. I got the idea from Bill Peel. You will have to put some towels under the chains or they will dig into your hips pretty bad.

Hazerboy
11-19-2009, 01:31 AM

Louie says that it helps "correct pelvic tilt," whatever the hell that means.

I like it because it takes the back out of the movement, so on friday, my deadlift day, I can still use it as an accessory exercise without completely beating up my body. Its a very humbling exercise. No idea how much poundage its added to my squat though.

BFGUITAR
11-19-2009, 08:28 AM
It actually seems like a good exercise to help one's sumo deadlift... im going to look in to this.