PDA

View Full Version : farmer's walk revisited

shutUpAndSquat
11-18-2009, 04:34 AM
i was thinking to add some GPP work, maybe it could be helpfull. I don't know, just want to try.
So, my intention is to do some sort of farmer's walk. If i understand the exercise well, it's just a matter of walking for a certain period of time carrying some heavy weight.
I was thinking to do a small variation, in particular walking up and down stairs with heavy dumbbells in my hands. I have adjustable dumbbells at home, so i could try this in one of the days i'm not at the gym. My building is 8 floors, so i think it's enough walking.

Do you think it is a good idea? I don't know, maybe walking up stairs is heavier than just a "simple" walk, so probably it could hurt my recover instead of helping conditioning. I can't do standard farmer's walk at the gym, because people would consider me crazy, and actually there's not enough space to do it without disturbing the others. Also i was thinking to do it at home so that i can do it whenever i want without wasting the time to arrive at the gym. Ok, probably people in the building will start looking at me differently... :moon:

Sensei
11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
If dropping the bells is not an option, I would find a different place to do them. JMO.

shutUpAndSquat
11-18-2009, 12:26 PM
If dropping the bells is not an option, I would find a different place to do them. JMO.

what's the meaning of "dropping the bells"?

Sensei
11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
drop the bells, the bells fall, bells released, bells be knocked out of hands, tumbling down stairs, alone or in pairs, holes in stairway, hitting unsuspecting old lady carrying groceries, lawsuit, fines, security deposit bye-bye, jail

Off Road
11-18-2009, 02:34 PM
drop the bells, the bells fall, bells released, bells be knocked out of hands, tumbling down stairs, alone or in pairs, holes in stairway, hitting unsuspecting old lady carrying groceries, lawsuit, fines, security deposit bye-bye, jail
:evillaugh: You make farmer's walks seem kinda dangerous :evillaugh:

Sensei
11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Not really - I just would be selective where I do them. I like squats, but I probably won't be doing them in my son's kindergarten classroom when school's in session either.

Just sayin'...

Nicky
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM

I got a laugh!

thewicked
11-18-2009, 08:56 PM
going up stairs isn't a farmer's variation..it's a box step or box step variation and works yoru body differently. TOO the implement size is more stable than a traditional farmers due to the ease of handling a dumbbell over a farmer's not to mention you're severly limited by weight. A better idea woudl be to walk around the gym with the dumbbells instead of up and down stairs or to unrack some heavier weight on a barbell and walk around like a yolk.

shutUpAndSquat
11-19-2009, 01:35 AM
going up stairs isn't a farmer's variation..it's a box step or box step variation and works yoru body differently. TOO the implement size is more stable than a traditional farmers due to the ease of handling a dumbbell over a farmer's not to mention you're severly limited by weight. A better idea woudl be to walk around the gym with the dumbbells instead of up and down stairs or to unrack some heavier weight on a barbell and walk around like a yolk.

ok. What is the proper way to perform farmer's walk then? I thought it was just a matter of walking back and forth with a weight in the hands (or on the back)

sorry, but i didn't understand that "bells" means "dumbbells". You have to remember i have learned your language at school, and not everything you say can be clear for me. A literal translation of what you wrote didn't make sense to me, because i thought about the other kind of bells...so i thought "dropping the bells" was some sort of saying and asked for the true meaning.:hello:

Tom Mutaffis
11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I thought that I already posted in this thread.

Doing farmers walk up and down stairs might be challenging, but would not be beneficial. One missed step and you will have a catastrophy.

You could do box step up's as suggested above, those would be good especially if you are working with limited space. You could aldo do traditional farmers walk up and down slops (loading dock ramps, hills, etc.). Otherwise I would just work with a set distance in the gym or possibly do farmers holds if you are doing them simply for grip/hypertrophy.

shutUpAndSquat
11-21-2009, 05:58 AM
I thought that I already posted in this thread.

Doing farmers walk up and down stairs might be challenging, but would not be beneficial. One missed step and you will have a catastrophy.

You could do box step up's as suggested above, those would be good especially if you are working with limited space. You could aldo do traditional farmers walk up and down slops (loading dock ramps, hills, etc.). Otherwise I would just work with a set distance in the gym or possibly do farmers holds if you are doing them simply for grip/hypertrophy.

thank you! now it is clear for me :hello: