PDA

View Full Version : Could the result in over training??

Andre518
11-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't think it would but thought I would get some advice before I go to far and mess my training up for no good reason. Starting this week my plan has been this set up.

Monday @ home
Lite stretching
Push ups 100+
Concentration curls 30lbs DB
Hammer Curls 30lb DB
Heavy Grip Gripper work
Abs/stability ball

Tuesday/Thursday @ Gym (Bench)
http://www.joeskopec.com/edcoanbench.html

Wednesday @ Home
Lite stretching
Push ups 100+
Seated military press 30lb DB
Bent over lateral raises 30lbs DB
Heavy Grip Gripper work
Abs/stability ball

Friday
Nothing

Saturday @ Gym (Squat)
http://www.joeskopec.com/coancalc.html

Sunday @ Gym (Deadlift)
http://www.powerpage.net/coanphildead.html

Thanks for any advice and sorry for just link but besides my printed copies these are the only access I have to them right now.

BigTallOx
11-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Overtraining isn't an attribute of any given workout program, it's an attribute of *your* body in response to training, diet, rest, stress,... So, nobody can answer that question but you.

Sean S
11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
The first question to answer is why specifically are you adding this work? Everything you do should have a very specific purpose.
If it were me, I wouldn't be doing 100+ push-ups the day before my bench workouts. I would want to be completely fresh for my BP work. Besides, you are benching twice a week, so why do you need to do a bunch of push-ups in addition to that? This would irritate my shoulders and screw my BP so I wouldn't do it personally.
As for the other stuff, I would add this to the end of one or two of your workout days if you felt it was absolutely necessary. Set it up in a circuit fashion and run through it really quickly once or twice. Again, I would think really hard about if this stuff was really necessary.
Also, are the other parts of your program (main lifting days) new for you? If you haven't done this particular program before, don't start adding extra stuff until you have done the base routine for a while and see how it works.

Andre518
11-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Reason for adding extra work

Seated military press, Bent over lateral raises to help add some size to my traps

Push ups curls to help bring my bench up

Grippers for handling heavier deadlifts

abs/a stability work to help my squat and deadlift I feel that my core is the weakest part of my body right now and feel that's why I can not squat very much and I want a 600 deadlift and 500 squat so I thought that would help.

My diet is high carbs and proteins low fat I eat every 2 hrs and consume 4300 cals a day. My biggest down fall is sleep I only get about 5 or so on a good night. But have been getting naps in on the weekend now that its getting cold out Im in the house more. Maybe Ill try to add the @ home work to the lifting days when I get home from the gym..........Like everyone here I just want to be STRONG! Thanks again guys as always your input its greatly appreciated and needed.

MarcusWild
11-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes, you'll over train. You're training your tricep and chest muscles 4 days in a row. Why? You use your shoulders a lot while benching then train them again the next day? Your upper body has no time to cover Mon-Thu since you train it every day.

Also, you shouldn't squat and deadlift on consecutive days. You use mostly the same muscles for both lifts. You need time to recover between squat and deadlift workouts.

Andre518
11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes, you'll over train. You're training your tricep and chest muscles 4 days in a row. Why? You use your shoulders a lot while benching then train them again the next day? Your upper body has no time to cover Mon-Thu since you train it every day.

Also, you shouldn't squat and deadlift on consecutive days. You use mostly the same muscles for both lifts. You need time to recover between squat and deadlift workouts.

Thanks Marcus I and really see what you mean about training chest and tris 4 days in a row. It always good to have someone else help you see thing from a different prospective. As far as squats and deadlifts back to back for right now I have to due to transportation and scheduling. Right now due to certain circumstances in my lift I have to go to two different gyms (neither are PL gyms :( ) On tuesday/thursday I have to go to Planet Fitness witch everyone knows sucks and does not have squats racks and you can not do heavy deadlifts. So I just bench and upper body assist work. On saturday/sunday I go to Golds Gym to get my squat/deadlifting in. Its been like this for about a month or so. Around march or so I will be able to go to just Gold and possible another strength training gym that has tires,chains,bands and all that good stuff. I met the owner last weekend at a meet and he invited me to train with him a few guys from the meet. But for right now I have to do what I can to maintain my training no matter how bad it sucks.

So I will cut all the extra chest/tri work what about abs I could train those 4-5 days a week right?

Side note Marcus I got a copy of Power Magazine last weekend at my meet and wanted to let you know your article on making your own gym was really informative are you going to be writing any articles for the mag?

SELK
11-18-2009, 11:17 AM
It all depends what you are conditioned for as well, russian lifters will train the squat heavy 3-4 times per week in certain phases of their training and then deadlift multiple times per week on top of that. You can't start out training with that high of frequency but if volume/intensity/recovery are correct it can work.

I dont necessarily think doing a bunch of ed coans programs is the greatest way to get strong, but you can surely still progress.

Andre518
11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Selk I understand what you are saying. I did not just pick these three programs because they were ed coan programs Im just trying to find out what will work well for me. I did a about 6-7 months 5-3-1 was good for my deadlift ok for my squat and bad for my bench around month 5 I went to a 2x a week bench program that really helped out (though it did not show at my meet lol) Now that my meet is over I just want to change gears and try something new and see how my results are. If anyone else has any advice on some good programs I am open to checkig them out. Right now I am reading the WS Methods book but with my current gym set up I it does not not seem like I will be able to start a WS program any time soon. Plus I want to read the book at least 2x and have a solid understanding of the ins and out of the program.

gatorman2k6
11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
I'd listen to what everyone else has said because they are all much stronger than I am, but I am currently using the Ed Coan bench routine. I just did the heavy session for week 9 and I really like it. You can check out my log if you want.

MarcusWild
11-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks! There will be a part 2 article that I'm working on in the next issue.

I'd do all the squatting and deadlifting in one day then. I think you'll recover much better. I think you could alternate weeks with one week being heavy squat followed by moderate deadlifting. Then the next week do heavy deadlifting followed by moderate squating.

I think putting that extra work upper body work on your bench days is your best bet. That way you get a day off to recover between bench days. I'd only do abs twice a week.

Andre518
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
DL ans SQ in one day maybe I will try that not to be a pain but I have one other question. What about the time I know alot of lifter say its better to get your workout with in an hour to an hour an a half if I did but DL ans SQ routines in one day it would take probably 2-2.5hrs to do think that would be ok?

MarcusWild
11-18-2009, 01:01 PM
You should be able to get through the squats and deads in about an hour, especially if you're training alone. It's not like you need to fully warmup for the second movement. You're already warmed up. If you go past an hour to get in your accessory stuff that's OK. Last night, I deadlifted for a max off blocks, did squats for sets of 5, and then hit 4 accessories. That took about 1:45 with some breaks to spot and coach people. I could get through that in about 1:15 by myself.

robchris
11-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Andre,

I dont know bro... Looks like a lot of unneccesary volume to me. Esp. w/ all the push-ups and such. Everone's recovery is different however. 5-3-1 and WSB are the best programs around, so when your schedule permits get on one of them!

For now I'd say give it a shot... Gage it on your strength gains. I your not getting stronger back-off some of the volume/ exercises, or try a different routine.