stik
11-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Which way do you do it, and why?

vdizenzo
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Flat, because I am much more stable.

IronDiggy
11-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Flat. Because you can't bench on your toes in the federation I lift in.

Andre518
11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Flat, because I am much more stable.

Flat. Because you can't bench on your toes in the federation I lift in.

I agree 100% with both answers!

Darracq
11-19-2009, 12:50 PM
ON my toes but try to push them down on the lift. Becasue i get more leg drive and with my feet flat i can keep my butt down.

BigTallOx
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Flat, because if I were on my toes my knees would be even higher above the bench ( and arching would be harder ).

geoffsherman
11-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I am feet flat on the ground as well. That way I focus o pushing through my heels just as I do when I squat and deadlift

ScottYard
11-19-2009, 12:59 PM
FLAT all the way for me. Especially shirted. More Stabilization with a max comp grip. Plus I always believed that power comes from your heels, not your toes.

SEOINAGE
11-19-2009, 01:02 PM
flat I'm not that fancy.

douglasoh5
11-19-2009, 01:18 PM
on toes....can arch alot more and lodge myself into postion which makes me tighter

jtteg_x
11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
on the balls of my feet. i get a more stable arch and more leg drive. it becomes natural to me as well but ill have to give flat footing a try sometime

Ryano
11-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I've done both, but have been benching on the balls of the feet, driving heels toward the floor. I get a better arch that way than flat. I'm just as stable either way, but I think you get more leg drive flat, just sacrificing arch(ROM).

danmac
11-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Flat because i feel way more stable and i have to for my fed. I tried on the toes once and i found i got no leg drive... but i only tried it once. I am sure with some practice it is just as good or better.

nickp8
11-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I have to bench on my toes to keep my butt on the bench. Whenever I try flat I do feel more stable but I just can't keep my butt down. Actually any tips would be greatly appreciated.

stik
11-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I barely touch my butt, keeing most of the brunt of the weight on my shoulders and legs. Butt is lightly touching. Just started messing with using my toes and not flat. Are you crunching in? Maybe you could put your feet down, go back toward the bar and arch at the same time. Any tips about this would be greatly appreciated here also.

danmac
11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
I have to bench on my toes to keep my butt on the bench. Whenever I try flat I do feel more stable but I just can't keep my butt down. Actually any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe its a flexibility thing, I arch so much that even with my heels down and fully driving with my legs my butt CANT come off the bench. It could be limb length too, im short(ish).

nickp8
11-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I have decent flexibilty and I have a decent arch. I am 6'1'' though and the benches at my gym are a little lower than competition spec benches.

Ryano
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
If you want to bench flat footed, with longer legs, you have to get your legs out wider and/or farther, to keep your butt down. You still drive your heels and pick "up" your toes to get leg drive. If you drive off your toes with either method, your butt will come up.

Travis Bell
11-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I bench flat footed because I can drive with my hips better as well as I seem to be able to push my chest up into the bar much better

When I bench off my toes, I have a difficult time keeping my upper back in position as well as my knees fall in, so I get no leg drive.

joey54
11-19-2009, 08:22 PM
I was messing around with the on the toes thing, but have been going back to flat foot recently. Arch really is about the same and it seems like I get more lower body drive having my heels on the ground.

robchris
11-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Flat... B/c of federation & more leg drive. I'd like to try it on the toes, since some of you guys mentioned getting more arch out of it though.

I see Shawn Frankl BP on his toes in this month PLUSA. Cant argue w/ that guys numbers!!!

vdizenzo
11-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Flat... B/c of federation & more leg drive. I'd like to try it on the toes, since some of you guys mentioned getting more arch out of it though.

I see Shawn Frankl BP on his toes in this month PLUSA. Cant argue w/ that guys numbers!!!

Kennelly benches flat footed, can't argue with that either. It's not about what someone else can do, it's about what you can do.

frankf79
11-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Got this tip from Jay Fry. If you lift alone and want to keep your shoulders down and back tight, pull the bar out of the support pins while on your toes, set the bar in the start position and then lower your feet. Works great for me, tightens every thing up and make me remember to drive me legs.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
11-20-2009, 09:16 AM

I bench press flat because I get more leg drive and better balance. Also, bench pressing on your toes is illegal in NASA & USAPL.

blownby
11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Flat.....better legs drive & more stable.
Also USAPL federation rule!

SELK
11-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Ive used both in the past,

on my toes I arch better, but get less leg drive.

on my feet I arch less but get more leg drive as well as more stability.

The numbers are pretty much the same either way, so I use a flat back as if I arch hard on the bench press in a meet I find it can take a little out of my pull.

Rob Luyando
11-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Kennelly benches flat footed, can't argue with that either. It's not about what someone else can do, it's about what you can do.

Kennelly? Who the F**Kis that? I bench with on the balls of my feet and stay stable. Key is find what works for you and put it to use. Reguardless how you bench you have to drive your heels to get good leg drive. But then again what do I know?

formerbencher
11-20-2009, 05:59 PM
flat foot, feet out wide halbert style, my back stays tighter and i drive off my heels better, who is rob luyando