PDA

View Full Version : band settings..

JSully
11-20-2009, 09:24 AM
So I'm going to try to pick up some monster mini's and some strong bands as I already have some average bands..

My question is how do you quad the minis? I see in journals it getting done, but I can't find online how you quad them? I get that doubling them means both ends on the bar and the middle is under a dumbbell.. so does quadding them mean you wrap it around the dumbbell twice?

Sidior
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
When you double you wrap one end around the bar, then pull it under a dumbbell and back to the bar.

When you quad, hang the middle of the band over the bar and with both ends pull it under the dumbbell and bring both back to the bar.

Travis Bell
11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Lots of luck to you getting quaded minis under a dumbbell. Best bet is to do it in a rack.

But yes, like sid said, you double them, then double them again

JSully
11-20-2009, 09:31 AM
When you double you wrap one end around the bar, then pull it under a dumbbell and back to the bar.

When you quad, hang the middle of the band over the bar and with both ends pull it under the dumbbell and bring both back to the bar.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

thanks dude.. that clears things up for me. I don't imagine people quad minis on a full bench right? Mainly on things like deads, floor presses, etc, correct?

Travis Bell
11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Really only rack pulls and floor press

If you want to quad the bands, get the minis, not the monster minis.

quaded monsters are good for guys with a 450+ floor press, otherwise it's just too much tension

JSully
11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Gotcha, thanks Travis.

I was only thinking about the quadded monsters because I'm trying to conserve funds by not getting every band under the sun. Lol.. I've been utilizing my average bands but would like to try the heavy bands for squatting and the monster minis for benching. I figured if I could get additional use out of them then that's all the better.

Minis are cheap enough I may just go for them as well.. what are some typical exercises used with the light bands?

Darracq
11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I dont like to quad them i have broke a few like that. I like the 20 inch bands for floor press and deadlifts

Travis Bell
11-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Minis are cheap enough I may just go for them as well.. what are some typical exercises used with the light bands?

You mean the mini bands?

I use mine a ton. Acutally I have several pairs of them, but I use them for DE bench, ME bench, or I'll even use them for combinations of bands, like purples and minis combined or monsters and minis combined.

Beware, with the strong bands, that's a ton of tension at the top. Again you're going to have a difficult time setting them up with dumbbells.

Lones Green
11-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Gotcha, thanks Travis.

I was only thinking about the quadded monsters because I'm trying to conserve funds by not getting every band under the sun. Lol.. I've been utilizing my average bands but would like to try the heavy bands for squatting and the monster minis for benching. I figured if I could get additional use out of them then that's all the better.

Put your green bands over the plates instead of over the collar, that'd be close to a blue band's tension

And yeah, quad mini's and MM's are a lot of tension. Either one will lift a rack off the floor pretty easily, so bolt it down or put lots of weight on the rack.

JSully
11-20-2009, 02:41 PM
You mean the mini bands?

I use mine a ton. Acutally I have several pairs of them, but I use them for DE bench, ME bench, or I'll even use them for combinations of bands, like purples and minis combined or monsters and minis combined.

Beware, with the strong bands, that's a ton of tension at the top. Again you're going to have a difficult time setting them up with dumbbells.

no I meant lights.. I believe lights were purple before EFS started selling them, now I think they'e orange.. maybe I'm wrong.. not sure really..

I like the idea of combining them.. thanks for the info.. you too lones

Travis Bell
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Ah, well I've used the purple bands for DE and ME benching as well, although at your current bench I wouldn't use them for DE bench as it'd be too heavy at the top

I've used them a lot for squatting as well. Like a green and purple combination

JSully
11-20-2009, 03:05 PM
right now I have to choke greens together (I only have 2 avg bands), then wrap them around the bar under my bench then up to the barbell.. I tried doubling them to a dumbbell, but the dumbbells aren't heavy enough. That's why I'm interested in the monster minis. The greens feel great when doing DE work as well as ME work, even for my mere 400lb max. For DE work I typically only go up to about 175lb bar weight as it starts to slow when I go higher. My last ME session as 305lbs bar weight plus those greens. I think I would get better results with minis or MMs, plus it'll be much easier to setup. Choking them together then wrapping them around the bar is a pain in the ass to get even tension on both sides.

I'm looking into EFS' website and they've got bands pretty cheap, so I'm thinking of getting the strong bands, monster minis and minis. Then mix them up between maxing and speed. strong + avg for ME box squats, dbl'd MMs for ME bench, dbl minis for DE bench, quad MMs + minis for rack pulls, etc..

Darracq
11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Does anyone ever just run one band under the bench from collar to collar? you could use a pretty heavy band. I have only tried it a couple times it felt pretty good and the tension is the same,you just push down in the middle of the band and slid it under the bench, i have had a lot of trouble with bands not having the same tension.

JSully
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey guys, another question..

How do you determine approximate tension for the bands. For instance, I was hitting low pulls last week with doubled averages. Averages are 75-150lbs, so if they are doubled, would that be 150-300lbs at the top?

Thanks!

Kiaran
12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
The easiest way to determine the tension you've got on the bar is to just use gravity, a tape measure and a power rack. Do the following:

1) Setup your bands as normal and measure the distance they are at when at full tension in your lift (i.e. from where they are attached to where your are holding the bar at the highest tension).

2) Flip the setup upside down using catch pins or top of power cage. Just make sure the bands are setup as close to possible as how you initially set them up in step 1 (i.e. distance between the attached ends of the bands should be the same, etc.)

3) Slide your bar through the bands and proceed to add weight (in small increments) to each end of the bar. Make sure to use collars as you do this to keep from flipping the weight off the bar.

4) Once the bar has enough weight on it to make the bands reach the initial measured length (from step 1), this is the amount of weight it takes to stretch those bands to that tension, including the bar weight, etc.

I've done this with my bench press, squats and deadlift. For the deadlift, I just flipped the whole damn platform upside down on the catch pins and setup my quaded minis as normal.

Zak Freiwald
12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Does anyone ever just run one band under the bench from collar to collar? you could use a pretty heavy band. I have only tried it a couple times it felt pretty good and the tension is the same,you just push down in the middle of the band and slid it under the bench, i have had a lot of trouble with bands not having the same tension.

Yes. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than the other way, but it's the easiest way do it if you are benching in a regular old bench. The values for top end tension are probably about the same for a single doubled band. However, I don't think the bands deload that much when run under the bench. A purple band seems to add about 70-80 lbs at the top per a handheld scale one of the guys brought in. But the tension only goes down 10-20 lbs at chest level.

JK1
12-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey guys, another question..

How do you determine approximate tension for the bands. For instance, I was hitting low pulls last week with doubled averages. Averages are 75-150lbs, so if they are doubled, would that be 150-300lbs at the top?

Thanks!

I honestly quit thinking about that a while back--the same with chain weight. It just got too damned complicated because of the variables involved---age of bands, temperature, band prestretch, etc. When I use bands or chain for DE work I consider bar speed, how fast I'm moving the weight and how well it feels. That may not be right for a beginner and it may not be possible if you train by yourself, but its alot less thinking. I have a hard enough time figuring out how much weight is on the bar beyond saying seven 45's a side or something like that and remembering how many sets I've done that training session.

I'll set the band and the tension up on the first week of the training wave in the middle two tensioner positions. From there I move the band tensioners out further incrementally through that training wave or I'll add additional chains. You get too caught up in lbs lifted for a band and forget that your bands are a year old and have been stretched our or are getting frayed and you'll have mathematical problems and just about get smashed the next time you try to use new bands.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get really caught up in the numbers of lbs lifted with the bands. They are a tool for your bench, thats it. You don't lift with bands on the platform.

JK1
12-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Yes. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than the other way, but it's the easiest way do it if you are benching in a regular old bench. The values for top end tension are probably about the same for a single doubled band. However, I don't think the bands deload that much when run under the bench. A purple band seems to add about 70-80 lbs at the top per a handheld scale one of the guys brought in. But the tension only goes down 10-20 lbs at chest level.

The problem I've had with that is the band slipping as the tension let off and came back during a set. I also think you get much less tension at the bottom and alot more at the top, but thats just how it feels to me. It will work if you are limited to the bands you've got or your equipment for setup.

Zak Freiwald
12-02-2009, 11:54 AM
The problem I've had with that is the band slipping as the tension let off and came back during a set. I also think you get much less tension at the bottom and alot more at the top, but thats just how it feels to me. It will work if you are limited to the bands you've got or your equipment for setup.

You had the bands going slack at the bottom? Must be some long bands. Are you just running it under the bench pad or under the cross beam? When we run them underneath the cross beam, the band is stretched out pretty far- over 6 maybe 7 feet I'd reckon.

JK1
12-02-2009, 12:19 PM
You had the bands going slack at the bottom? Must be some long bands. Are you just running it under the bench pad or under the cross beam? When we run them underneath the cross beam, the band is stretched out pretty far- over 6 maybe 7 feet I'd reckon.

We don't do it that way anymore. We were using a jump stretch green band. The bench we were doing it with didn't have a big separation between the pad and the cross beam, the cross beam curved up under the pad as you got closer to the head position (ie it wasn't a competition bench, it was a commercial gym piece of crap bench). It worked better when we put plates on the band under the bench, but that was a pain. We just started using minibands and 110 lb dumbells to weight them down.