PDA

View Full Version : make sure to have plenty of spotters

SEOINAGE
11-20-2009, 02:18 PM
So new to shirts and was doing some work with reverse bands, only had one spotter grabbed some random kid, long story short I got stupid and kid rather than helping me to lock out pulled back towards rack and bard dropped on my face, 545 lbs of it, went to oral surgeon just got back and have some surgery this afternoon, btw getting married tomorrow.

Fiance is upset, but i feel fine, lingual bar from when i had bracers broke off which is waht saved my teeth i think, gotta get 2 repositioned and splinted. Anyways hope you guys have a great couple weeks, will be back to lifting after my honeymoon.

vdizenzo
11-20-2009, 02:29 PM
So sick. Sorry man. Best of luck in the recovery and congrats on the marriage.

Chris Rodgers
11-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Talk about bad timing! Sorry to hear about the accident. I would never suggest that anyone benches in a shirt without proper spotting. When things go wrong in the shirt it is usually a split second thing and you can't expect one person to save you especially with that kind of poundage.

Good luck with your wedding..I hope your bride-to-be will forgive you on the Honeymoon!! :hump:

Travis Bell
11-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately you're not the first person to have this kind of accident.

My dad was in at the gym I used to lift at and saw a guy get a super sloppy handoff and dropped 405 smack on his face. Sinuses are damaged for life, but he did have to have surgery as well.

Best of luck. Don't let your fiance bust your balls too much about the pictures for the wedding. My wife and I got some pictures done before our wedding and I forgot we were doing it. Got in my shirt that day and blew the blood vessels around my eyes pretty bad. She just rolled her eyes when she saw me and said, "well at least my face looks good"

You're very fortunate with the teeth though.

Ryano
11-20-2009, 04:20 PM
She just rolled her eyes when she saw me and said, "well at least my face looks good"

Travis, sorry to hear that your wife has poor eyesight as well. LOL. Just kiddin'.

SEOINAGE, everyone that's been lifting very long has seen accidents happen due to ****ty spotting. Don't go heavy without competent spotters. It's not worth risking the injury. Live to lift another day. Glad you weren't hurt to bad. Have a nice time this weekend!

robchris
11-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Sorry to hear that bro... Enjoy your honeymoon and heal up quick! You will live to bench another day!

Cheers,
RC

BigTallOx
11-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Sorry to hear about that SEOINAGE. I hope you heal up quickly.

DMedley
11-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Now that the chills have stopped running up and down my body picturing this. Congratulations on the Marriage.

Athos
11-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Truly sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you were able to walk away in one piece and are able to go through with the wedding. You'll be back to bench big again. -- No one says being the wife of a powerlifter is an easy job! Congrats on your marriage.

Ryan Celli
11-20-2009, 08:41 PM
wow, so sorry to hear this. I wish you a speedy recovery, and hope you heal up fast and have a wonderful wedding.

if your going to use new spotters, you must explain everything thats going to happen and everything that could go wrong as well as what you expect them to do.
i think most importantly is the side spotters...
I would tell side spotters to interlock hands and follow the bar from lift off to rack, keeping hands 1/4inch from touching bar at all times- no matter how easy or fast the reps are. And always follow it into the racks, even have them gently help back into the rack. stress evenly and gently. tell them to make sure one side doesn't over lift their side.
I go ever everything with a new lift off guy too. Always practice a few light lift offs.
be safe guys! Ryan
VQIQTMt75_I

danmac
11-20-2009, 10:42 PM
wow, so sorry to hear this. I wish you a speedy recovery, and hope you heal up fast and have a wonderful wedding.

if your going to use new spotters, you must explain everything thats going to happen and everything that could go wrong as well as what you expect them to do.
i think most importantly is the side spotters...
I would tell side spotters to interlock hands and follow the bar from lift off to rack, keeping hands 1/4inch from touching bar at all times- no matter how easy or fast the reps are. And always follow it into the racks, even have them gently help back into the rack. stress evenly and gently. tell them to make sure one side doesn't over lift their side.
I go ever everything with a new lift off guy too. Always practice a few light lift offs.
be safe guys! Ryan
VQIQTMt75_I

I thought for SURE that was going to be a terrible bench injury video, i was ready to cringe the whole time.

Andre518
11-20-2009, 11:41 PM
SEOINAGE really sorry to hear about your unfortunate mishap I hope you heal up quick and things go well for you on your wedding and honeymoon!

ehubbard
11-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Sorry to hear about this but congratulations on the wedding. When I train at the gym without a crew I trust, I ALWAYS bench in the rack and setup the pins to prevent this kind of thing from happening. I almost ate 455 once and will never do that again.

Pics????

Ryan Celli
11-21-2009, 07:03 AM
sorry danmac!!! I just wanted to show how we spot on the bench.

danmac
11-21-2009, 08:41 AM
sorry danmac!!! I just wanted to show how we spot on the bench.

No need to apologize, i hate those vids but i can't help but watch.

Anyway seoinage, sorry to hear about the accident and enjoy the honeymoon!

Brian C
11-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Congrats on the wedding bud. And make sure you get at least one good pic of your new grille :D