PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press In Strongman Meets

Jason198
11-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Why don't you ever see this? Just curious. I am having a training day event with

Bench Press
Rack Pull
Box squat for reps
Heavy farmers Walk for distance

and a few other events, and everyone seems t o like it.

Just Curious,I would like to see some Strongman Meets with Bench Press in it, since it may be the most popular lift anyways.

SELK
11-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Ive seen an incline bench with a log in a strongman contest.

But if the events are bench/rackpull/box squat you may as well just do a powerlifting meet.

BodyByGamma
11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
One year the wsm super series had a motorcycle on a platform bench press. Other then that maybe incline bench log press for reps. Not to knock the lift but the reason bench press is not common, is because it isn't such a relative to practical strength lift.

You deadlift every time pick things up off the ground. You Squat every-time you bend down and stand up. So Squats and Deadlifts are practical, but when do you really do anything close to a bench press??? That is why they are not in strongman.

Rack pulls are commonly done only as 18inch deadlifts off truck tires or blocks.

Box Squats for reps to me is pointless for strongman. Back Squats in general don't really have to much translation in strength compared to their front squat counter parts in strongman either, unless you pause or hit good depth.

Once again in strongman there often is no stabilty box or bench to help assist with the lift.

Not to knock your training but its not really going to help for strongman as much as other exercises will.

Sorry I if I came off a little offensive but in terms of strongman training and competitions I am just stating the relevance of everything.

Jason198
11-22-2009, 09:06 PM
This is just a thing we are doing in our gym for fun hints the name training day, none of us are strongmen
I just wondered why no Bench Press in sm meets, Since it is the most popular lift on the planet.